01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

What is in your basket [January 2019]

weeklyshop

With the new year, new fine wine list and new TWS offers on one side and dry January and new year resolutions on the other side… what is everybody getting excited to take delivery of this month?

In line with my resolution I have taken delivery today of some of my reserves…

The 2015 White Burgundy case, should drink well now.

The Montefalco Masterclass case, will check the 2007 soonish, and dependent on that may breech the other two.

…and a case of the Ostoros PN also from reserves, though it is still around and is now part of the Curiosity Shop offer.

A couple of deliveries scheduled this month. Firsly, the Thymiopoulos mixed 6 xinamavro case and a 6 bottle case of the Tahbilk Marsanne…

And then later this month I have my November allocations from the World Classics vintage cellar plan being dropped off. 6 each of these two…

Every bottle will be nestled down in the Eurocave for a while yet. Though the first sunny day will see the xinomavro rose under threat!

We’re going to have to keep things calm on the spending front, if we’re going to go for the Rhone EP (still very much undecided!), and WSET level 3 and numerous holiday plans… BUT got this coming this Thursday:

… so no complaints! :slight_smile:

Holding on at the moment. Will probably pick up some halves as very useful when counting calories as I have to now (and should have years ago).

As for weekend treat wines these 4 are at the top of my considerations.

I think these are ready to be withdrawn from the reserves:

This arrived this morning :wink::wink::wink:

Just had this lot delivered for a taste test with a view to sticking the ones I like in reserves.

The Collioure Magenca was a big hit, the Naoussa single vineyard not so much.

Post Xmas there is always space in the cellar. Today’s delivery included a case each of:

I have bought too much (in % terms) Rhône in recent times and I am determined to explore Italy, Greece and more this year.

One for the future - probably around ‘21 onwards.

Plus two cases of:

I’m really keen to try the Crozes - it’s an appellation I have always struggled to love. I bought the 2013 vintage of this and, while it is sound enough, it hasn’t really converted me. I am hoping the ‘15 will be the wine to finally convince me. Especially as the view seems to be that Crozes excelled in ‘17.

Great shout on the Montefalco!

…and it was such a bargain…

Post Christmas stock up. Going for a mixed reserves case with a combination of:

Chave Offerus St Jo 2013
Tourelles Vieilles Vignes Cinsault 2015
Escaravailles Cairanne 2015
Stopham Pinot Gris 2015

Plus a case from my non TWS reserves including

Ferraton Patou Cornas 2012
Colombier Cuvee Gaby Crozes 2010
Bois de Boursan CNDP 2007
Santa Duc Gigondas 2010
Borthwick NZ PN 2015
Circe Mornington PN 2016

Happy January!

That is a great stock up. If I am not indiscreet where do you buy Santa Duc?

A few popped up last year on L&W at £16/bottle IB. I’ve tried one already and they seem to be in very good condition

A couple of orders to be collected tomorrow

And

Might be our last for a while. Waiting to hear about an offer on a new house so could be low on cash for a bit. If not I’ll just console myself with some Rhône EP :joy:

HI Nick see you have 2 bottles of the Wigan Riesling, I have a case of the 2011 in storage elsewhere, it was a bit of a punt.

Have you already tasted this? CellerTracker show the drinking window at 2021-2031.

I have a few weeks to wait for this, as the Cotes du Vivarais is out of stock at the moment. Absolutely worth waiting for though!

CM18591 Pauillac 2011 Ulysse £21.00 2 Bottle £42.00
LO13831 Muscadet Sevre et Maine sur Lie Comte Leloup Centenaires Ch de Chasseloir 2014 £9.95 1 Bottle £9.95
AR3751 Weinert Carrascal Corte Clasico Mendoza 2013 £9.50 1 Bottle £9.50
RH50601 The Society’s Exhibition Hermitage Rouge 2014 £39.00 1 Bottle £39.00
FC35951 Minervois La Liviniere Cuvee Cantilene Chateau Sainte Eulalie 2016 £13.50 1 Bottle £13.50
LO13921 Val de Loire Chardonnay Les Parcelles Rethore Davy 2017 £7.75 3 Bottle £23.25
AU20741 Grant Burge Benchmark Shiraz 2017 £7.50 1 Bottle £7.50
RH50691 Cotes du Vivarais Grand Aven Vignerons Ardechois 2015 £8.95 2 Bottle £17.90

No, it was a bit of a punt here too. It’s a style I love from a good producer at a good price so I’ve stuck a case in reserves and plan to try it soon to assess how long they should stay there

In other news, there were some cracking bin ends available today. For reasons mentioned previously I only left with a single 2015 Dm Maby Lirac but also available were:

2015 Exhibition Crozes
Greywacke Wild Sav
Olivier Leflaive Oncle Vincent 2016
Pelle Menetou Salon

My word I had to work hard to leave those on the shelf :sweat_smile:

Just in case anyone’s not spending enough money on wine at the moment, a load of Burgundies - new releases and back vintages - have just been added to the list.

I know you linked the reds, but this white in particular is very interesting. Tasted the 2017 and was blown away… this could be great.

There are only 20 bottles.