01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

What I'm Drinking This Week [13th-19 July 2018]

Second…

This is working well on a summer evening. However, I’m confused by the ABV statements. The TWS listing shows 11.2%, but the label shows 11+2%. Quite a difference. Have not come across ABV listings other than whole or half % since the Majestic Swedish Government stuff in the 80s. But 11+2 has me flummoxed!!!

Scorchio today so this TWS beer is hitting the spot plus a delicious M&S Palo Cortardo :+1:

I wonder who’s got No.1 @szaki1974 :thinking:

Americans seem quite keen on on their decimal points. For example Pedroncelli Pinot Noir 13.8%, Friends Red 14.4%, and so on.

Well, all drinks last night were great, but the winner was definitely this delectable and rich old Rufina.

Didn’t know what to expect from this 27 year old wine, but it was wonderful and aged really well. The nose was alive with dark fruit and bramble, woody herbs and liquorice. On the palate it was sheer joy, and very very Italian. The tannins were smooth but the acidity was still there, with dark plum and black cherries supported by thyme and a touch of woody oak. It tasted younger than its years. The three of us tried to remember what we each did in 1991, and I recalled that I was sitting in a sealed room with a gas mask on, as it was during the (first) Gulf War. Nice to know that at the same time, somewhere in Tuscany someone was making this delicious wine! :grinning: If you like Tuscan wine, I really recommend it!

The Lambrusco was also a success. My BiL couldn’t believe just how perfumed it was, and was shocked at the dryness of it, expecting it to be a cloying sweet Ribena. It went down a treat with Italian charcuterie and Charentais melon.

Hope you all had satisfying drinks too, yesterday! :clinking_glasses::sunglasses:

How to source wine from my birth year
Grato Grati Rosso Toscana Vecchia Annata 2006 & 1999

It’s still rosé weather, so started this last night

And will probably finish this evening. Squint and it’s almost like being on holiday.

That sounds delicious @Inbar. Top quality Sangioveses age effortlessly (which is more than can be said for Nebbiolos) into serene maturity.

Sun means eating outdoors, and a certain lightness is called for. With a little chilling, this hit the spot.

Still showing a young pinot fragrance and ripeness, this tastes more like I would expect the 2015 to taste like - not that I think the Society has released the 2015 yet.

On Friday we had another bottle of 2007 St. Aubin Les Perrieres, Henri Prudhon (sorry, forgot to take a picture), largely as I managed to secure some of the 2009 of this wine from the recent offering which lasted 3 or 4 days, and I wanted to recalibrate on this one before moving to a 2009. Absolutely no signs of tiredness here. Yes, it’s a minor burgundy, but it takes me right back to the days when you could rely on the stuff to mature without worrying about the dreaded premox. And it really does have that wonderful flavour that only mature burgundy shows reliably.

I took a bottle of this to the cricket at Lord’s yesterday, which my friend and I enjoyed, and the screwcap saves taking a corkscrew along.

Relaxing in the garden this morning with the newspapers, and I will be opening this shortly, before heading inside to watch the tennis final.

I had a bottle a couple of weeks ago, one of the nicest rose wines I’ve had, and especially enjoyable in this heatwave and great value. Happy weekends everyone.

Today’s little tipple. Accompanied by a mixed leaf salad with black pudding and pork sausage.

Just got back from a vineyard visit near Hastings (Carr Taylor). Small family operation, nothing fancy- but we had a fun couple hours out nevertheless. Quite liked their Sparkling rosé!
Starting the evening with this yumptios Palo Corado. It’s fast becoming my favourite Sherry from M&S! Perfect aperitif with some olives.
We were going to have some Moules à la Normande this evening, but no Moules to be found. Turns out they are not in season. Apparently they are only available in months with ‘r’ in the name! You learn something new every day.
So instead, we’ll be having spaghetti vongole, and open the Muscadet that quite a few of you recommended.
Another beautiful Sunday evening descends… :grinning::wine_glass:

Denbies Redlands - highly recommended as an aperitif or with salads etc. but needs to be properly chilled. Closest thing I can describe it to is nice early-drinking Beaujolais but it has an almost red wine gum taste - not complex but fresh, delicious and 11.5pc. A shade over a tenner from a posh farm shop, surely TWS could get it for a number starting with an 8 or 9?

Had this out on the patio after the football, no comment on that, but this bottle was one of those that if you didn’t know differently would put you off riesling for life.
This is one of a case I brought back from the winery the others have been fine, but this one was either going through a phase or was just a bad bottle, but whilst it had the lemony citrus nose and taste the acidity somehow was not balanced with the sweetness and the end result was a rather sickly wine and quite off putting, not the first time but quite rare luckily.

Couldn’t be bothered to take a picture so this is a stock photo, did not even attempt to finish the bottle but it was replaced by a kabinett wine from the same year and producer that was very good.

Opened a bottle of this to go with some fried salmon tonight.

https://www.majestic.co.uk/wines/aresti-bellavista-chardonnay-39404

It wasn’t expensive and I didn’t have high expectations but I found myself thinking it was a bit rough. Then realised the last chardonnay I’d had was this

And I then had to do a rapid re-assessment. Now I don’t think the Chilean one is so rough after all!

Not Schloss Lieser, but I have in the past had wines at the Spaetlese level that have followed a similar course. Or I suppose, failed to follow any course at all. I still have some in my cellar but on rare openings, they always seem to be stuck in the same spot. I wonder what is going on?

I’d love to know how you enjoyed this? I’ve tried all but their Riesling. Would you say dry or off dry? Worth a look?

I recently bought their Sauvignon Gris, which has got mixed reviews. Didn’t know anything about this producer, but wanted to try the grape. I need to think up some food to go with it. Glad your assessment of their Chardonnay improved… Hope the Sauvignon Gris is not a complete flop!.. :wink:

At various points over the weekend we’ve shared the following with family:

Rustenberg Chardonnay - very good, elegant and refined
Fairview Pinotage (estate) - nice, fruity. Preferred the Bellingham we had in the week
Jackson Estate Stitch SB - was never going to be anything other than a nice example but nothing to get too excited about

The most important wine (to me) was this

It was a part of a Fathers Day present that he never got to try so the family all had a glass today with a nice BBQ

It is a strange one as I have never come across the same thing in any other wine/grape, if all the batch had been the same you can reach a conclusion, but a one off bottle that does not appear to be flawed in any way must have developed in bottle to end up like that.
Over many years I suppose I have had half a dozen ? that have been like that I have never made a note so cannot say which category they fall into though in earlier days I only purchased Spatlese and Auslese.
One other thing they all had in common despite only one glass was they upset the stomach so something was very out of balance or wrong, it could be the natural high sugar content of these rieslings is hiding a flawed wine and this is the outcome, who knows, strangely I have never read anything along these lines about the fault.

Yes - I’ve never heard it discussed either, which is what intrigued me about your post. I hadn’t noticed the digestive aspect to be honest - I wonder if it is just a stuck or off-ferment or something like that? Just speculating of course.