01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

What do you find exciting about wine?

Hi all,

After a staff tasting with Marcel for some of the lesser known grapes from odd regions of France I found I really enjoyed discovering odd grape types.

Just wondering what everyone finds exciting about wine - for me it seems to be unearthing odd wines from odd regions (which is why I enjoyed doing my WSET levels 2 and 3).

Could it be tracking down certain bottles? Following a producer through vintages? Understanding how a certain wine evolves in bottle? Or simply enjoying the taste of a certain wine?

@M1tch Similar to you, I enjoyed the discovery component of working through the WSET levels but ultimately tasting wines in a classroom only took me so far. For me, the thing that takes wine appreciation further is the associations of place and time I have with particular wines.

Nothing beats trying a winemaker’s wine than when stood in the terroir itself - the climate, sights and smells around me definitely root a wine in specific moment in time and space. Going on to drink those same wines back home just transports me back. Going on from there, this has started me down a path of specific appellations or regions and the fun of exploring, comparing and contrasting is almost endless.

I guess this is the reason why family holidays always now seem to involve a wine region or two somewhere in the itinerary :sunglasses::wine_glass:

I think I’m definitely still at the stage of a toddler-like excitement about discovering new varieties and new regions. It’s done wonders to my geography, which is a bonus! :slight_smile:
I love discovering the connection between a variety and its place, as well as its history, and one of my greatest enjoyments from drinking wine (apart from the obvious) is comparing how the same variety expresses itself in different terroirs. Like @Alchemist, drinking wine also transports me back to holidays and special times with special people in my life.
What’s not to like! :wine_glass:

I love it when I find a wine that wasn’t highly regarded on release but turns out way better than anyone expected. For me a great example is Grand Puy Lacoste 1988. If I recall correctly Parker scored as 85 or 87 points originally. By contrast, Michael Broadbent gave the ‘89 five stars - but every time I now serve the ‘88 and ‘89 side by side everyone without fail prefers the ‘88. I personally favoured the ‘86 - but recently the ‘88 seems to put it in the shade. Will it eventually overtake the ‘82? Must try them side by side sometime soon.

In more recent times, I have found the 2011 Vinsobres Jaume Cuvee Reference far superior to the 2012 - a supposedly better vintage. Magnums of the 2011 are particularly good. Sadly only three left…

For me I find excitement in wines that are rare, and/or perhaps from a less heralded producer or appellation. This is why I was so pleased to find the Jaume Clos des Echalas at the recent Rhone tasting - this and the Perrin top cuvée are extremely good wines but Vinsobres has little profile outside of Rhone fans so these wines go under the radar in terms of price and demand.

This is why, as members, we are lucky as our buyers go out to each of the producers to build better relationships and also find other producers or areas that usually go under the radar but still make delicious wine.

I still get unreasonably excited about the impending delivery of ‘en primeur’ wines; when the anticipation has been long and the arrival eagerly awaited. Today, I have been notified that my Poderi Colla 2013 Barolo & Barbaresco have arrived in Stevenage. Now, whilst they will not be fully drinkable for a couple of years, I do want to get them into my racks. So, the 16th of April it is. Excited? Oh Yes!

So right - my first ever vineyard trip was to Pézenas in the Languedoc back in 1999. It was bright and breezy, had just rained and the fruit has just set. Everything was fresh, I felt the soil, touched the leaves and felt at one with the world. Until then, wine was just another drink, but when you see where it comes from it adds a whole new dimension.
This feeling still happens whenever I visit a vineyard, particularly if it’s new to me.
Answer, drink more wine from more places and then visit those places. Or vice versa!
My recent excitements include the yet-to-be-visited

and the oft-visited

What I find exciting is the anticipation of the tastes. I love deliberating over lists, vintages, grape varieties, climates etc etc and then ordering. I think a lot before I buy which adds to my anticipatory pleasures. I probably approach it in an overly intellectual way, (I am an WSET educator) making quite a few tasting notes as well as blogging here:

(Richard Morris is also a regular Community contributor)

I agree, remembering the different wines experienced during the WSET level 3 course, and from memory it was interesting to try the wine variants. So, if you found that “exciting”, can you imagine how a drive down through Italy would be? A country which is entirely dominated by, and made up of, wine regions.
Roll on the summer…

Upon retirement the plan is to buy a Winnebago (or as we call it, a winebago!) and do Italy in a leisurely fashion over a period of six to nine months, wine region by wine region …

Hopefully next year or the year after we’re planning to purchase a fifth wheel … for EXACTLY the same reason…:wink:

I haven’t done a lot of wine-related tourism, and do feel I’m missing out on the tasting + terroir aspect that a few people have mentioned. And @Ewan and @Leah have definitely got the right order with the Italian wine tour. That sounds absolutely amazing!

For me, there are plenty of small pleasures to be had that shouldn’t be overlooked:

Deciding what to order
Waiting for it to arrive
Taking delivery
Trying a new wine
Trying a new vintage of a wine I’ve enjoyed before
Trying an old vintage of a wine I’ve enjoyed before
Seeing how a wine develops
Finding out if my food pairing works
Seeing the reactions of others when tasting a wine I love

So yeah, lost of things :blush:

I agree with all the aspects people have mentioned so far, especially the association of a particular wine with a time, moment, event or person it was shared with - this makes it memorable, but I also look forward to new or surprising tastes and even more than that, a great nose.
Particularly on red wines, it is the aroma (even more than the taste sometimes) that I enjoy the most, the anticipation of seeing how that comes across on opening the bottle and then later, with some air. This is mainly what makes wine so exciting for me, but I am also amazed at the horticultural aspects, the effort that the grower puts in, the optimism with which she/he begins each season, always knowing the possible risks of drought, frost, hail or excessive rain. Then, after all that, the wine making process with the powerful influences of the fermentation and storage will result in such a range of different wines - magical!

It’s the most sensual drink I know !!