01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

What cheeses are you looking forward to for Christmas

christmas

Today’s haul included Waitrose 1 Mountain Comté AOP cheese and Wookey Hole cheddar.

Well I declare :mouse:

Parmesan is also a favourite of mine, although I usually go with 24-month old - I actually love the really hard bit that is just inside the crust. Then Carluccio’s sell a rather tasty soft-ish blue that is loaded with Vin Santo, whose name I always forget. Add in some pancetta which I have for breakfast with eggs and mushrooms as a fry-up. Plus balsamic onions for snacking. Not to forget Gianduja scooped straight out of my own personal jar.

Since I’ve spent so much time in the Alps I tend to favour the hard alpine cheeses, though not exclusively so. My cheese board will look something like this:

Stilton (really the only British cheese that I love)
Comte
Tomme de Savoie/Montagne
Beaufort (how can a cheese have the same name as the wind scale?)
Abondance (a particular favourite!)
Aged Gouda (must be aged otherwise too little flavour)
Jura

With biscuits. Whilst in France Tomme, Comte, Beaufort and Abondance with baguette are my standard breakfast :smiley:

Aged Gouda is delicious.

would have thought that was obvious - surfeit of cheese = surfeit of wind (sometimes off the scale …) :flushed::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The cheese board has yet to make it out. So. Much. Food.

I’m currently in California and have two more evenings left in which to get the cheese out before heading back to London. And come out it must. Mostly because I’ve been waiting since summer to break out the vintage port with my mother.

Grand Margeaux (a triple cream French brie)
Dry Jack (Californian original, not the plasticy version)
Stilton (obvs)
Taylors 1985

Hope you’re having a good time, @danchaq :grinning:
I have really fond memories of Christmases in California (Saratoga and Berkeley) with my ex-husband and his family. Feels like long time ago.

Great cheeses, too! Not to mention the port…! :ok_hand: :star_struck:

When Donald Trump held his first presidential dinner in The White House, the menu was published in the press. I couldn’t help noticing the fare was entirely American. American crayfish, American meats, American cheese and wines. I’ve never had American cheese. What’s it like? And does their cheese have the same variety as Europeans?

New cheese from Dewlay, Garstang cheese makers. Garstang White, a Brie like roundel made from Jersey milk… Sumptuously creamy !!!

American cheese is notoriously poor quality - much like the beer. And just like beer, if you find a good shop with artisan producers the cheese can rival the European varieties.

The dry jack was mild but nice and glad I got to try it. The brie was creamy as you like, and the stilton was of surprisingly good quality.

We ended up having our cheese course at 3pm today, so we could enjoy the cheese (before being full up with dinner) and the Port (before everyone got on the vodka).

The wine was delicious on its own and with the cheese. I have to say though, it is at its best this moment, along side a gifted cigar.

Dear Dan,

If there’s one thing the Americas excel, it’s tobacco. I suppose we must thank the redskins for it. With Cuban cigars, I become delirious at a mere whiff. Sadly, they have been taxed-off the market by unthinking chancellors. So very few people can afford to smoke them.

I gave up smoking when John Major was chancellor. I called his bluff when he increased duty to stop us smoking. So I did. I’m now being told I’m living too long!

I seem to have been restrained on the cheese eating front so far this festive season, so much so that I have over a half of a Tunworth left; it has now developed a Munsterish aroma (and has had to be treble bagged in the fridge) and if it was any runnier it would be off to join the navy.
Still very yummy if unsociable - I’m eating it on my own… Champagne is suggested as a good wine match, so will try it tomorrow evening and report back. Red wine and port definitely not the right match.

Dewlay = du lait as pronounced by a born and bred Wiganer.

George Kenyon founder in 1957