01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

What cheeses are you looking forward to for Christmas

christmas

Delicious cheese! Had it recently in a wine and cheese tasting and was won over :ok_hand:

Someone will be busy…

or have you got servants…

Oh, definitely dessert first (this year it’s going to be a panatone bread and butter pudding soaked in Marsala), then cheese… a little later, once the trousers can be zipped up again.

No servants I’m afraid.
Logistics will be my slave, that and a double oven…
@inbar - love the sound of that alternative pudding. I have been trying out little refreshers between courses like lemon sorbet with gin and tonic or sanguinello sorbet and Negroni.

I will second a Tunworth it’s delicious!! Also hebden goat cheese is a current favourite of mine… it’s made but a lady and her just 10 goats :goat:pretty exclusive, but available online I think!

I do give them Boxing Day off :wink:

I actually don’t get the fuss made about food on Christmas Day…its a roast Dinner…I can cook that with my eyes closed…

Breakfast - smoked salmon and scrambled eggs - doesn’t need 4 years at catering college!!
Starter - normally something light and easy to prepare…this years is St Jacques
Main - roast…see above
Cheese - unwrap and place on boards…

To be honest - the most difficult and tiring part of the day is opening all those bottles :slight_smile:

what you get upto on Christmas Day is your own business…

There will be no desire for that sort of thing, what with all this food and drink…! :wink:

Didn’t mention sugar in the vinegar mix…this was something my mother used to make in our pub…so beer, stout and at Christmas , Special ale 9%, served from a wooden firkin on the bar top.

Shropshire Blue is made in Stilton country…just with a bit of colour.

GCHEESE OF THE DAY: BUTLERS BLACKSTICKS BLUE

“A taste of the unexpected” says Butlers cheese (makers of Blacksticks Blue) and it is indeed! A smooth and creamy blue cheese with an Amber colour - not only does it taste fantastic, but its colour would liven up any cheeseboard. In the words of celebrity chef Simon Rimmer, it’s “undoubtedly the daddy of all blue cheeses, heaven!” - well Mr Rimmer - the Mighty Cheeseboard agrees!
Even though I’m a Lancastrian true and true, I wouldn’t agree totally with Simon’s summation, but I would say I haven’t tasted a blue which could better the amber/yellow buttery richness of Blackstiks.

It is a lovely cheese, I agree. Good that they managed to survive as a business to keep that one available.

Boulette D’Avesnes

Époisses de Bourgogne

Maroilles

Black Bomber

Every day and twice on a Sunday.

Does anyone have any recommendations for some fairly feral sheepy (but not hard like Manchego) or goaty (but not like Chèvre) cheeses?

Dear DrEm,

I’m pleased you initiated the subject of cheese. Perhaps you could help me understand why cheeses are so different. After all, milk is generally the same wherever you go.

So, if you travel from Cheshire to Wensleydale, you will find the cheeses are different. Travel towards the south and you might reach Leicester which has its famous red cheese. Carry on, and you could find yourself in Stilton country. Again, the cheese is different.

If it is a question of process, why do we attach town or county names to cheeses?

For the goats, I absolutely adore petit fiancé des pyrénées but it’s been very hard to find here! I managed to find a shop in Kensington that sold it but it’s france territory and gets sold out v quickly.

Ossau iraty? That goes well with a wide range of white wines…

Thanks. Haven’t had that for a ver ling time.

Thanks Tom. If I can source it, this looks just the ticket!

Can’t believe nobody’s mentioned Old Amsterdam!

I always feel a bit guilty ordering from the cheese counter, as it’s so hard to cut, but a lovely cheese…

Otherwise, Tunworth, Comté, Beaufort, Stilton (if I can find a good one), maybe smoked cheddar…

However, I think I’m slightly cheese intolerant - never sleep well after cheese (although there may be some confounding here). Wouldn’t let that stop me, though…