01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

What are you going to do today?

I’m not a big fan of most ‘real ale’ but Harveys is delicious.

1 Like

It’s funny, I’ve only just joined the cult of Harvey’s. My other half has been going on about it for years - it’s certainly his favourite cask ale - but I haven’t really ‘got’ it. But recently I started to appreciate what he’s on about. I particularly love the floral notes of it and the moreish bitterness and slight malty-ness - especially of very well kept ones. It seems to have quite a following in East Sussex :grinning:

3 Likes

Golfing at Southerness today. This was one of Peter Alliss’s favourite golf holes. Lovely view over the Solway.

Now off to try some of that Lidl 2013 Barolo. :wine_glass:

6 Likes

And if you can cross the Solway firth you can play 18 holes at Silloth golf club.

1 Like

Well, first post from the Windy City and the view outside our apartment near Lincoln Park.

Had a rather nice Willamette Valley Pinot Noir last night that was purchased from a fantastic independent wine shop about 60 ft from our front door.

Son is ok but In a lot of pain. The op didn’t go well as I mentioned and we have scans and doctors appointments etc over the next two weeks or so. He’s been looked after by some fantastic friends so we are having them round for a meal with a few raggedy bottles that I threw in my suitcase.

Anyway, we’ll order in some Chicago Dogs and a Deep Dish Pizza and see what pleasure we can get out of them whilst watching the Super Bowl in a couple of weeks time :sunglasses:

33 Likes

Great to see you made it @Brentw1. I hope that being with him will have a positive impact in the coming weeks on his recovery.

1 Like

Glad you got there ok and sending the best wishes to your son! It’s so wonderful he has great friends to check in with him ! Enjoy those bottles and keep us updated ! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Wowzers, what a line up @Brentw1 ! Sorry to hear your son is in a lot of pain. Hopefully you are cheering him up and making him feeling better just by your being with him. And you can get the full story direct from the ‘horse’s mouth’. Best wishes to you all.

1 Like

I will mostly - nay, entirely - be staying in: Twin #2 tested positive yesterday, and now this morning I tested positive :roll_eyes:

It’s surprising we held out as long as we did, to be honest, with four school-age children and a front-line healthcare worker in the house.

Now we’re just waiting to see who gets it next. It’s like being on board the Nostromo.

17 Likes

Well, looks like we’ll all catch it at some point… :roll_eyes: like you we held out - still holding out - but our time shall come no doubt.

Hope you both manage OK, and that it manifests in the mildest form! :pray:

6 Likes

We’ve all had it twice now, Alpha & Delta presumably…have managed to avoid Omicron thus far… We’re now all fully jabbed, including 12 year old daughter, so fingers crossed even if we do get it again it’ll be mild…

6 Likes

From what I read it seems that getting it + being vaccinated is the best form of protection and does mean a mild manifestation if caught again. I don’t want to be flippant and say ‘bring it on’ - but it does bring to mind Chicken pox parties back in the days… :slightly_smiling_face:

EDIT: the husband had just corrected me… if you had it, vaccination adds very little apparently. But if you been vaccinated before you had it - that makes a huge difference. It’s a learning curve for us all, I guess…

3 Likes

We’re okay so far: Twin #2’s just a bit tired and everything tastes funny; I just feel like I’ve got a head cold. It’s about six weeks since my booster, so that should still be firing on all cylinders.

Of course, the other half now has to work from home, and while she’s negative and feels fine, she’s very aware of the fact that the only other two people in the house at the moment are breathing tiny little spiky things all over the place.

14 Likes

Hope you get it mild and recover speedily.

5 Likes

Sorry to hear, @Herbster - hope you recover quickly!

4 Likes

Fingers crossed it stays mild and isolated to just the two of you.

4 Likes

I hope it’s a mild one Herbster and your sense of smell / taste isn’t badly affected.

2 Likes

Hope to grab some peace and quiet to log in to this

Mrs Brocklehurstj is out at hockey, so the chances of an uninterrupted viewing are slender at best

5 Likes

Best wishes for a quick recovery and no taste or smell side effects. It must be so difficult with your four viral vectors at large - well done for lasting so long. At least on Earth everyone can hear you scream…

3 Likes

Going through my Rhone red wine in reserves list, thinking about those Rhone wines I have really enjoyed and plotting for tomorrow’s EP info :grinning:

7 Likes