01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

What are you going to do today?

Looks bloody amazing, @Leah!

One of my favourite bagel fillings ever - pastrami, mayo, horseradish and gherkins with a pinch of dill… Drooling just thinking about it :drooling_face:

3 Likes

Now there’s a memory jerker of a beer?!?
Perchance Malton, Scarborough, York or perhaps Hartlepool??
I do remember it being very, VERY good!! :grinning: :dragon:

5 star beer!

1 Like

I went once to a deli in Hayes Valley, San Francisco and had the pastrami on onion bread, I think with horseradish and gherkins. I still remember this, over 20 years ago. Ah, food memory. Actually, any recommendations of Jewish/Jewish influence central European delis in Manchester/Leeds or around would be very welcome!

3 Likes

Today, I will mostly be doing (or thinking about) this

6 Likes

Whilst living in London, I came across a Jewish Deli in Holborn.
I tried a Salt Beef Sandwich which positively scarred me for life, so magnificent was it.
And once tasted, I would go out of my way (when in the vicinity) to buy another.
A Food Memory that sits atop of “Sandwiches I Have Known!!” :rofl: :wink: :dragon:

5 Likes

Looking after our grandson while our DIL is in hospital giving birth to his baby sister, born this morning.

20 Likes

Congratulations on the new grandaughter @CCouzens - I hope mother and baby are both doing well

2 Likes

“Swimmingly” according to my son, but that’s easy for him to say.

Thanks for the good wishes.

1 Like

Was at a pub back in Leeds, we had difficulties booking somewhere suitable in the Yorkshire ales (left it a bit late).
Delicious ale!

1 Like

Just for balance, I have many happy memories of Brains Dark, Evans Bevans Vale of Neath Ales and Ruddles. :yum: :clap: :dragon:

1 Like

Very happy today!
At 09:20 arrived at a local Community hospital for a vaccinations appointment.
09:45 walked out having had my Covid booster AND my Annual Flu jab.
No after effects so far, but in truth I tend to be bomb proof regarding reactions.
It is a relief to have gotten these done and out of the way. :grinning: :dragon:

7 Likes

UPDATE

My Annual Flu jab yesterday, no and I mean NO adverse reaction. :grinning:
My 3rd COVID jab, this time the autumn 2021 BOOSTER, not a smidgen of an after effect!!
I look at those the numbers who have refused or not taken up these vaccinations and truly despair. The protection that they give is not 100%, but they hugely reduce the chance of full-blown Covid as well as an insurance against LONG COVID, which might be a life-long debilitating illness. And by not getting ill, you protect those around you; especially the older members of your family / friends circle.
This, to my mind is playing the odds. The huge majority will find themselves where I am.
But there will be a tiny percentage, who will STILL FALL ILL by being infected by the unvaccinated , but the likelihood will be that their degree of malady will be much less than the full blown Viral infection.
So if you have not as yet, taken up the protection that these jabs give us - then please do.
I remember getting a Smallpox vaccination, any number of Tetanus jabs, Hepatitis, Yellow Fever, Diphtheria, Cholera, BCG, Polio… the list is long, and I have had all of these listed, as well as some that I may have forgotten about.
And take a look what vaccinations that new borns routinely get today??

I do not get the reticence about vaccinations in our adult population, yet we immunise our babies against diseases that previously caused many, many infant deaths. :dragon:

6 Likes

I’ve had my booster jab this morning. First two were AZ and didn’t seem to have any effect. This morning was Pfizer and I have quite a runny nose this afternoon, but no big deal. Very happy it’s done.

7 Likes

I have been watching the Chopin competition from Warsaw. One Mazurka and Polonaise starting to sound much like another. An Italian girl, Michelle Candotti played very well. But most of them are poor rhythmically. They cannot play 3 in the bar. Too much rubato in the left hand when it should be in the right.

3 Likes

Drive to Nottingham to look at a puppy with its mum.

2 Likes

Perchance, a Corgi - Pembrokeshire or Cardiganshire, it matters not a jot?!?! :rofl: :wink: :dragon:

I’m going to war this afternoon with a bunch of rodents who’ve set up residence again in our compost-bin in our garden. I had managed to keep the situation under control over the spring-summer by encouraging a visiting fox in our garden - I think there was a cause-effect and not just a correlation as I hadn’t seen any of them for months and summer is usually the worst time for them - but s/he seems to have grown bored of my offerings and the rodents have taken encouragement and moved back in again.

Our cat, a very affectionate but proper hunting Bengal, gets some of them but they can keep out of her way too easily; and TBH, when she does catch them, she tends to regurgitate them on our carpet shortly after, so I’m not too fussed she can’t regularly get at them. She’s fine with the mice she catches, but the rats don’t seem to agree with her.

Ultimately, the long-term solution is to dig out every bit of compost etc, lift up the whole big structure and put wire mesh on the bottom so they can’t dig up & in. Today though will be more a matter of short-term filling in of holes & runs, and a few traps. The red kites, in abundance around us, will be happy :~}

4 Likes

A schnoodle!

27 Likes

My plastic compost bin had a rat-sized hole gnawed in the side whereby they then proceeded to eat its entire (uncomposted) contents. They were very persistent and determined vermin; carefully laid poison was the only option in the end.

1 Like