01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Weekend Wine Thread (24 to 26 June 2022)

Welcome to the weekend ! and here in west Yorkshire its very warm, could this be summer?

A challenge for the community: What wine should I open this evening, with Linguine & Clams, the red tomato version + plenty of garlic + basil. It’s the mineral / salinity of the clams that I’m interested in.

The wine rack is currently in a pretty healthy state, something of everything. My thoughts are:

Pink: Touraine Rosé, Domaine des Echardières 2021
White: Maruxa Godello, Valdeorras 2021
Red: Trenel, Beaujolais-Villages 2018

Suggestions, thoughts?

10 Likes

With such an excellent selection on offer “Some of each” springs to mind.

5 Likes

Indeed it does !

I’ve also just added a bottle of 2015 muscadet to the fridge to chill down. Snappily named:

Muscadet Sèvre-et-Maine La Haie Fouassière, Le Clos du Château L’Oiselinière, Chéreau-Carré 2015

8 Likes

A beautiful Muscadet, this one! :ok_hand: :hearts:

5 Likes

https://www.thewinesociety.com/product/grove-mill-marlborough-chardonnay-2020

Opened this yesterday, prob the best £10 chard I’ve ever had. Perfect in the garden for summer.

8 Likes

An awesome Chénas this evening, to accompany chicken parcels from our butcher:

Chénas Quartz, Piron-Lameloise 2019

The 2016 of this bottling, which we drank in 2020, was beautiful - and this is just as satisfying, if still a little young. It ticks all of our Beaujolais Cru boxes, though: pretty hue (med ruby/magenta) a gorgeous nose and a fine palate. The nose has notes of Black Forest Gateau, bramble, plums, potting shed soil, geraniums and nutmeg spice, with a very autumnal feel to it.

The palate is fleshy and dense with its notes of wild strawberries, bramble and red plums, baking spice and an earthy background note. Acidity is medium plus and mouth-watering, the finish leaves a tingling minerally sensation but tannins are still a little rasping, and could do with a bit more time to soften a little.

My worries about this being a 14% ABV- which feels a dangerous territory for a Gamay - were dispelled too. This wine is a serious example of Chénas with plenty of room to mature further.

Happy weekend, one and all! :grinning: :wine_glass:

28 Likes

For no particular reason it’s German night here. Bratwurst, sauerkraut, rye bread with

and

which I’ve enjoyed in earlier vintages. This is 2018 vintage.

23 Likes

Enjoying this £14 bottle of Dornfelder. Soft ripe red fruit. Glossy and acidity is not high. 33g/l RS. Perhaps needs to be a touch drier.
English vineyards should be making still wine from this grape.

18 Likes

For tomatoes I’d always think about the acidity levels. I don’t know the wines you have but I’d be tempted by the Maruxa. Enjoy whatever you choose - especially if it’s more than one!

6 Likes

This tonight

I purchased this EP without really knowing much about it other than that the producers responsible all had pretty high reputations. It’s very clearly northern Rhône Syrah and strikes me as halfway between St Joseph and Cote Rotie in style. Pepper on the aroma, dark fruit and chocolate on the palate and a definite cocoa character to the finish - and just 12.5% alcohol. Pretty much ideal N. Rhône in my book.

28 Likes

I won’t bore you with my notes, stunning stuff with tons of potential. Galloni is spot on with his notes below.
“The 2017 Barbaresco shows just how appealing this vintage can be. In 2017, the warm, dry growing season gave the Barbaresco an extra kick of richness that fills out its frame and adds so much immediacy. Sweet red berry fruit, cinnamon, rose petal and mint are open in the glass, but it is the wine’s seductive radiance that wins the day. Pora, Ovello, Montestefano, Muncagota and Rio Sordo are the main vineyards used for the straight Barbaresco. The 2017 is such an inviting and expressive wine. Don’t miss it! 2020-2032”

29 Likes

I’d read a few reviews suggesting that this wine was starting to oxidise so I thought I wouldn’t wait any longer. In fact it was fine, long, very complex, very moreish, very classy. From the WS a few years ago.

25 Likes

Probably familiar to a lot of folk on here but new to me and I’m very happy.

Greywacke Sauv Blanc 2021

Very typical NZ Sauv Blanc, all green veg, grass and gooseberry. Complex, long, bitter (in a nice way) and for all that nothing seems overdone. Gets my vote!!

Happy Friday all!

26 Likes

Half bottle of Sancerre ‘La Reine Blanche’, Domaine Vacheron 2020 now oos.

Acidity a little high on opening but a double decant has tamed it a little. Some unripe melon on the nose but not too much else. I see there is a domaine seguim pouilly fume on a half bottle, might give it a go after a look at reviews

19 Likes

Interesting. Last I’d heard, Sancerre was over because the acidity was gone. Good to hear that the reports of its demise seem to have been exaggerated.

5 Likes

Never going to happen !

I suspect the acidity was prominent due to not being balanced by fruit/flavour. Still present however.

Started the weekend with a sparkling wine from South Africa and a red from Calabria in southern Italy. The Cuvee Royale 2017 from Simonsig is light and fresh but, perhaps, lacks the depth I would expect at this point. Still have three bottles to experiment with. The Ciro has all the classic Italian black cherry and prune.

Cuvee Royale - Quite deep yellow, gold. Fine, persistent mousse. Medium nose. Lemon and apple. Brioche notes. Light palate. Fresh acidity. Dry. Citrus. Green apple. White grapefruit. Some yeasty notes. Medium finish.

Mid red centre, light red rim. Medium nose. Black cherry, black currant and blackberry. Sweet vanilla. Tar. Cooked prune. Medium palate. Sweet tannins. Balanced acidity. Dry. Classic black cherry followed by burnt vanilla and tar. Black currant and bramble. Rose water. Violet. Medium finish.

21 Likes

@Richard - that’s quite a wine! I’ve never managed to try Clos Ste-Hune, and it’s now well beyond my budget. 2006 wasn’t a great year in Alsace, but we’ve had some good late harvest wines from those who were prepared to hang on, and if Trimbach were prepared to release it, you’d know it would be fine.

Here, we also drank something from Alsace, though not quite at that level. I cooked a stew of prawns, scallops and squid, with a seafood and chermoula sauce, courgettes and dulse seaweed. Served with a sourdough fougasse, and Mélanie Pfister Pinot Gris Furd, 2019.

Dry, grippy, yellow plums, digestive biscuits and a slight nuttiness on the finish - in short a model of pinot gris, and a great example of how the grape can make a super-versatile wine, capable of pairing with a wide range of food. Some smoke and tannin on the finish complemented the spice in the sauce. Delicious.

Have a good weekend!

27 Likes

Was half expecting to be doing some invinticide here but was pleasantly surprised that it’s drinking really well now.

It’s a fine, juicy wine, less savoury than I was expecting. I have taken a punt on a number of Greek wines which are slumbering in reserves without too much prior knowledge but I’ve very rarely been disappointed. They are contemplative wines. I’m looking forward to seeing how they will age

Enjoy your weekends!

30 Likes