01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Weekend drinking thread [9-11 November 2018]

How incredibly confusing. I notice Mairlant appears twice but one is red and one white.

Sounds delicious. How was the St Joseph? I’ve got a couple in reserves, interested to hear how it’s developing. Cheers!

@onlyawino - I’ve always liked Chateau de Pennautier. For me, the extra couple of quid spent on the Terroirs d’Altitude is well worth it, too, at least a few years ago when I last bought some. You get a definite step up in complexity.

Austrian Smaragd tonight with a really tasteful label (suspect inverted commas are called for here).

Effortlessly manages the delicate task of being both light in body but complex in flavour with ripe apple and spice and just a hint of that peppery thing. Stays balanced right the way through to the extended finish.

Developing well. I’ve had a few bottles over the last 2 or 3 years but I think it will still be safe for a while yet in reserves. Drinking window to 2020 looking conservative.

A chianti to go with pollo cacciatore tonight
https://www.stonevine.co.uk/product/il-palagione-caelum-chianti-colli-senesi-2015/1711/

Went Clarendon Hills in the end. The 01 Brookman Syrah is quite something. Wonderfully soft, not as high alcohol as I expected. Smooth, coffee, chocolate, spice, still some fruit. Quite a treat. Now - off to carve this brisket!

I find The Society’s Burgundy is highly dependent on vintage. I reordered the 2015 a couple times whereas the 2013 wasn’t very enjoyable. Might pick up a 2017 and see how it goes down …

This morning we made our way to the Tate Britain to see the Turner Prize shortlist, broken up by lunch at Rex Whistler. Excellent wine list, I raided their selection of halves.

*Kumeu River Coddington Chardonnay 2015 (serious, young but delicious now)

*Morey-St-Denis 1er Cru Clos des Ormes 2008, Domaine Georges Lignier & Fils (mmm… Burgundy)

*Oberhäuser Brücke Riesling Auslese Gold Capsule 2011, Dönnhoff (weightless and ethereal, better after cheese and pudding rather than with)

It was a good lunch and a good day. Food was good, art was heavy.

A case of art imitating life, perhaps.

I love the sound of the Dönnhoff! What a great way to spend a Saturday morning! :+1::wink:

All day really, there around 11:15 and left about 4:00.

Now home with a bottle of Dom. Jean Chauvenet Nuits St Georges 2010 and cheese on toast, watching Quadrophenia. The films a classic and the wine is lush!

The last glass of the Burgaud 09 (opened Wednesday; half decanted to HB Thursday) is a stunner. Wood and smoke notes leap out of the glass; there is a marked influence of oxygen but it only brings a prettiness to the blackcurrant and a sort of cool, blue finish with an aniseed note. This is the thing that fascinates me with Syrah - where there is real depth of flavour, the ability to evolve with prolonged exposure to air seems greater than with many other grapes.

…and which character in Quadrophenia are you? Ace Face? :kick_scooter:

Autumnal meal tonight…

Served this Klevener de Heiligenstein with a pumpkin soup. We haven’t drunk very much of the grape (it’s not exactly widespread), but it complemented the food well. Fruity nose, maybe some cox apples, then very ripe pear and quince on the palate, with quite a spicy finish.

Serious wine from Weinbach for a serious pot-roasted guinea fowl and spaetzle. Very ripe apples and orchard nose, then rich but dry, with apples again, honey, toasted hazelnuts, and digestive biscuits to taste, and a long, spicy and smoky finish. Really lovely.

Hm I just double checked and yes I’ve got a couple bottles of the Ch Bouscaut '14 in reserves as part of a mixed case of white Bordeaux. I was going to leave them there for another year or so but maybe I get them out soonish? I don’t have much experience with these wines … :thinking:

TWS Red Burgundy: First glass I was appalled, seemed like unripe grapes has been used! but surprisingly it grew on me. Definitely needs food - the austere sharp acidity went very well with buttery roast chicken. However I can well understand that those who have grown used to ripe new world P.N. might be less appreciative.

I think it depends on personal taste, @danchaq. I tend to find these better Bordeaux whites sit on a spectrum of quite bright, sauvignon-forward wines to be appreciated young, through to expensively barrel-aged that need time in the cellar to put on that much-sought creaminess.

This one sits right in the middle! I rather appreciate the balancing act so will probably drink mine sooner rather than later, but I don’t doubt it has plenty of life in front of it if you prefer to sit on it.

This was lovely (after a long decant), great value (As an £18 bin end) and quite complex Nebbiolo led blend. Makes me look longingly at this higher end offering by the same producer:

Had a Dolcetto d’Alba 2016 by Giuseppe Mascarello

Quite disappointing for me as I was expecting more from the producer. None of the rich ripe fruit and very austere nose. Would love to hear what other people’s thoughts are on this one. At least the beef bourguignon was up to scratch.

Not had this vintage but previous ones had the same austere nose and pretty acidic in the mouth so you are not alone.
Yet a couple of years back I drank this, purchased when Barolo was affordable, one of the few top Barolos that have lived up to expectations.