01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Weekend drinking thread 9-11 April 2021

It’s a basic Jaume CdR 2017 for us. Not fancy, but very tasty Black Forest fruits, pinch of spice, plenty of interest. Once again, Marcel is spoiling us with his outrageous ability to source good cheap southern Rhône.

17 Likes

My parents drank this with spaghetti bolognaise

I don’t think it was any where as sweet as the real thing, it was probably a medium white wine.

It was quite common in those days for wine to appropriate more famous names, still found in the USA with ‘Hearty Burgundy’, that’s never seen Pino, ‘chianti’ made from Zinfandel and California ‘champagne’

5 Likes

Bernie Inn?

Saturday night aperitif with a leftover red

16 Likes

Personally, I’ll be drinking the Tito-era Yugoslav Riesling. :smiley:

4 Likes

Dinner this evening is Wagyu burgers with McCain triple cooked gastro chips (thanks to recommendations on this thread) and to accompany, a bottle of Heidi Schröck’s ‘Ried Kulm’ Blaufränkisch (2017 vintage)

It spent a couple of hours in the decanter, and the aromas wafting from the glass are the best and most intense Blaufränkisch aromas I’ve had the pleasure to sniff to date. Extraordinary depth of perfume - boozy dark cherries, damsons, sweet tobacco, bonfire smoke, sweet spice (cinnamon, maybe?) and black pepper.

It enters and leaves the palate with an appetising, mouth-watering freshness, but the middle journey is all about juicy black cherries, blackberries and damsons. There’s a good tannic grip and peppery spiciness.

According to the label, the vines had been planted in 1955 by Heidi’s great-aunts, so the concentration and purity here might be partly explained by the age. I think 2017 was a hot year, which might also contribute to a sense of ripeness, balanced with freshness. Superb! :heart_eyes:

Whilst cooking, some Amontillado with a little plate of Iberico lomo and manchego.

Happy weekend everyone! :smile: :wine_glass:

28 Likes

So excited to be cooking this Galician rib steak from Basco Fine Foods.

And Rioja is a must, so thanks to @OxfordMan on the Rioja thread for tempting me to open the Alberdi. The smell of the meat and wine is taking me back to Spain…can’t wait to go on holiday again

29 Likes

Looking at the bottle its a 2019 and 13%.

Very impressed, a honeysuckle and citrus nose. A bit of Spritz, much like many GV’s but a much broader, peachier fruit profile. Improves with a bit of air.

Keen to try out more from this producer!

3 Likes

Rioja for us as well tonight with roast chicken, this is 6/6 from a reserve withdrawal from elsewhere one year ago. Very nice on opening, will see how it changes over the evening

23 Likes

Aperativo on the left…

19 Likes

Tondonia is a super wine. You really can’t go wrong with it. And it develops really well once opened.

I once had a bottle of Tondonia with Huevos Rotos (look it up!) in Madrid. Check with your GP that it’s ok first, before you try that combination.

3 Likes

In those days ? - Korbel cellars in Russian River valley are still legally entitled to call their MC brut “champagne” to this day. Something to do with a Grandfather clause in the Treaty of Versailles, and that they somehow managed to keep going during Prohibition.

They do have some pinot / chardonnay in the blend but also use colombard, chenin blanc and others.

The same applies to Firelands in Sandusky, Ohio who also brazenly still make a “champagne”, once again legally Grandfathered. They managed to keep going during Prohibition because a certain A Capone had a business interest in the company and they continued to cultivate vines on North Bass Island out in Lake Erie.

4 Likes

A real double-take in the wine aisle of Sainsbury’s today - Freixenet Chianti! Had to wheel back my trolley for a look. It is real! Bottled in Soave, Italy and marketed by Freixenet, Spain. Wasn’t tempted to buy a bottle but my curiosity was aroused. Just find it rather disconcerting, but I suppose why not?

3 Likes

Emva Cream Cyprus Sherry anyone?

Jacob’s Creek make a Prosecco these days. From fruit grown in Barossa, and Riverland too I think. Yes it’s made from glera, but, come on, how do they get away with it ?

1 Like

They also do a Prosecco :slight_smile:

They hold the bottle upside down

1 Like

Well… The Aussie’s imported Glera grapes and passed them through quarantine and then made some “Prosecco”
The Italians (rightfully) kicked up a fuss and said “you can’t use that name. It’s ours.”
To which the Aussie’s replied “righto matey. You take me to the ‘place’ “Prosecco” and show me all the vineyards that you are using to make the stuff a la the Champagne region”

Still fighting it out I believe? But may have come to an agreement where Aussie’s can use it in Australia but not in Europe. But now that the UK is no longer part of the EU, maybe those crafty Aussie’s are OK to use it in the UK?

5 Likes

Another bottle of the Chateau Courac 2016 from the village of Laudun in the southern Rhône. Very young, big wine still needing a very big steak or a lot more years.

Opaque centre, deep red rim. Medium plus nose. Tar and leather. Rich black fruit. Plum. Hints of red fruit - strawberry and raspberry. Full palate. Firm tannins. Balanced acidity. Ripe fruit. Black currant, plum and blackberry. Medium finish. A firm, structured wine.

21 Likes

I’m slowly working my way through a case of the 2014. Still plenty of life in that.

2 Likes