01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Weekend Drinking Thread (8th-10th Jan 2021)

What’s in your glass this weekend?

No truck here with Dry January… reality is all too difficult.
Chef is delivering prawn risotto so a worthy bottle is called for :innocent:.

Sooo looking forward to this pairing !

26 Likes

Gave up on Dry January this evening. So for me it’s Hawkes Bay Te Mata Pinot Noir 2018. Will see how it stands up…

13 Likes

We are having paella this evening, so rather strangely we’re having a rosé. I’m finding it hard to give tasting notes on a rose in January!

7 Likes

Fillet steak on the menu so going for my favourite Mendoza Malbec. This is my last bottle and I notice it’s out of stock. Thankfully, I have two bottles of Mendel Malbec for future steak nights!

19 Likes

Always lightens the mood … never met a really serious rose (sorry can’t find the acute on my tablet!)

Can’t go far wrong with a Craggy Range SB to go with fish and chips. I’m sure that once upon a time more NZ SB’s used to have this depth of flavour.

9 Likes

My only bottle of this. Arguably opened a tad early but I really fancied some syrah with all the Rhone chat of late.

Beautiful dark red fruits and pronounced oak which I like. Unmistakably Graillot. Best St. Jo I’ve had (I’ve not had many).

Happy weekend all.

25 Likes

So this is the thread I might need to avoid.

This is a mug of fresh mint tea in a mug with a photo me taking part in a rather drunken jazz dance off.

I’d say it’s dry with low acid. Quite minty on the nose, watery on the palate with a pronounced minty aftertaste.

32 Likes

With fish pie…this…

A discovery from last year and remains a WS favourite…a great alternative to a Sauvignon Semillon.
Delightful and works so well with sea food and milky sauces.

22 Likes

This to be opened later to drink with a Dover Sole.

21 Likes

This with a spicy tomato based stew. Laughing at the one star review! This is great with loads of length, complexity and flavour, lots of minerals and quite high acidity, fairly typical but very good nerello mascalese,

20 Likes

Following @Embee and his bin end clearance we’re clearing out bottles with a 2021 drinking date. May not all be right but we’re on it now.

Red cherry, thyme, Mediterranean herbs and mocha. Tobacco. A bit of tomato? Medium tannins. Not a long finish but we’re new to trying Italian wines so will keep exploring!

13 Likes

@nomimasu - I took the liberty of adding the year to the thread title - hope you don’t mind.

Cambridge market has been closed, but the fishmonger is taking orders for socially-distanced collection from the back of his van, so I was still able to cook a nice piece of cod. Fried on the skin and finished in the oven, and served with a chorizo, courgette, pepper and tomato stew. We drank Lucas and André Rieffel’s Brandluft Riesling, 2016.

Dry, mineral and long; zesty, and drinking very well. It’s got a slightly spritzy spice on the finish that you can get in this sort of riesling - no actual carbon dioxide, but a tingle on the tongue that’s slightly reminiscent of bubbles. Pleased with the food match - didn’t overpower the cod, but complemented the warmth of the chorizo. Happy Weekend!

24 Likes

Opened too young but bought at domaine for 26 euros

18 Likes

Which vintage?

1. Lovely, not a huge amount of weight but lots of elegant balance and fine tannin
3 Likes

Rose lifts the mood in such poor weather!

5 Likes

This is lovely entry level burgundy. Juicy, refreshing, fruity and enough acidity to pair really well with fish and chips! Definitely worth trying

14 Likes

Doesthe refreshing acidity come from the mushy peas!!

2 Likes