01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Weekend Drinking Thread - 6th - 8th Aug

After a long week, rib eyes and this tonight:

I was looking forward to this, and it’s fine. There are, as advertised, raspberry and cherry notes and it is delicate and floral. I suspect it needs a few years - it didn’t feel like it had reached it’s peak. Central Otago is a pricey region, so I understand why it’s this price. But… I certainly wouldn’t buy a case in the hope it reaches that peak. Maybe a bottle, and then a future vintage. Just a little bit “oh, an unmistakably CO PN”, but without much to define the wine.

15 Likes

What did you think of this?

I had the same recently , thought it was a nice wine but maybe not the best example of Assyrtiko out there. Good value in the context of Santorini though, prices there blowing out a bit.

1 Like

I was served it blind and guessed it was either Jura or Italian. I thought it was pleasant enough but not being an ardent fan of these obscure grapes like Assyrtiko, I have very little experience of them. As I didn’t buy it, I can’t really comment on the price. I believe it was purchased from L&W.

3 Likes

A rather self-indulgent Friday night here - two different bottles on the go as grandma’s staying, wife’s on a few days leave, we had a nice day out yesterday at Sutton Hoo, and after lunch out today and a walk, this evening called for a long lazy snacking-tea with a spread of cold mezes-style bits & bobs; including one off my real treats, a tuna-walnut-shallot-walnut oil salad I like to make and have with toasted wholemeal bread. One of my very favourite things. To go with the spread:

A bottle of Jerome Galeyrand Fixin Champs de Charmes 2015; and a bottle of David Nieuwoudt Ghost Corner Semillon 2015.

The former is new to me and one that I snapped up from the showroom a few weeks ago on a visit. Rather expensive for me, but too good an opportunity to turn down. And I’m very glad I didn’t turn it down - popped & poured straight from the wine fridge and in the glass for a few minutes gave lovely forward but calm fruit, calm but clear tannins, and best of all, that slightly mossy autumnal-undergrowth forest-floor thing that I love in a red wine. All in lovely harmony; various changes and developments over the evening as you’d expect, but fluctuating between the different elements taking precedence rather than linear changes; and really very very nice indeed. If I’m self-disciplined, there shall be some left for tomorrow night. Maybe.

The latter is an old favourite of mine that I’ve been buying on the Waitrose 25%-off deals for many years now; always a lovely clean & lean glass of wine this one. Quite dry and saline, rather smokey, not a little “brash”, with very noticeable acidity for a Semillon IMO, and probably not to everyone’s tastes. Gorgeous with sushi-soy-wasabi [unless it’s sashimi or delicate sushi, in which case it’s rather overpowering]. Very different in taste & texture to the Boekenhoutskloof Semillon for instance though, another of my favourite whites.

But until this particular bottle, one of a few I hid away at the back of the wine fridge a few years ago, I had always had them quite young. I was slightly trepidatious, as it’s beyond the suggested drinking window, but Semillon can surely age more than a few years, no?!

And as you’d certainly expect, the extra bottle-time really gave this bottle added dimensions - fuller-bodied than I remember other ones being, with a richer overall taste, and a lot going on as the bottle stayed open. Still clean & lean, still on the fresh acidic saline side certainly, still quite smokey and quite “brash” yes, but with something like candied greengage and pear drops happening in the background after a while, giving greater dimension to it all; probably less good with sushi now as you’d never call it a delicate wine really, but worked well with the earthy tuna-walnut stuff, and certainly a second highly enjoyable bottle in the one evening. I’m going to leave the others I’ve got for some time longer yet as it seems clear to me they’ll go a long way yet and I’m curious to see if the acidity & smoke calms down more.

18 Likes

This cuvée retails around £50 in the UK, if/when you can find it, and about €30 cellar door on the Island. It’s a step up from their “Santorini” and “Estate” cuvées, this coming from 200+ year old vines with exceptionally low yields.

Argyros is one of the bigger players on the Isle, but well worth including in a tour. I found their style richer and fuller - arguably less typical of the cépage - than, say, Hatzidakis. For all the effort involved in harvesting and the very low yields the prices are understandable imo, and I guess it keeps the wineries / vineyards viable in the face of doubtless pressure to build more holiday accommodation.

I’m surprised you’ve used the term obscure -surely it must count as one of the most noble white varieties, certainly the flagship for Greece.

13 Likes

Sorry, not in my cellar!

1 Like

Another TWS Chard to kick off the weekend and a different kettle of fish to last week’s Franschhoek. Taut, angular, lemony, no discernible oak, dry as a bone . Reminds me of old school chablis. Its a good wine and I suspect a year or two will not harm it.

The Mount Veeder I have commented on before. Aroma is stunning. Its unrestrained. You get crushed blackberries and blueberries. A hint of smoke . You immediately think you are heading toward a quality Cote Rotie. You take a sip and for a nano second you think you are in the presence of something special. Black olives, cracked pepper complement those dark berry flavours but then a seering acidity just cuts this wine in half. Bordering on tragic. In fairness, I knew what was coming. One bottle left of a case of six. They have been nothing if not consistent!

17 Likes

You’ve had your eyes gauged out if you’ve paid that in the U.K.
It is regularly available in Costco at about the £18 mark .
Fwiw, I think it’s a lovely wine, and on the more pristine and elegant side with subtle purity of fruit, but it’s most certainly not worth €30 let alone £50 :scream:.

4 Likes

I was alluding to current availability. Sure Costco have the 2016 listed but it’s sold out. Current vintage on release is the 2018 - I’ve found one for £45 on-line from UK, but as I said above, Greek merchants have it for around €30. Lay & Wheeler don’t have it currently.

If you genuinely can currently get it for £18 in UK tell me where and I’ll split a case with you !!

1 Like

Just a beer and a glass of d’Angludet 2006 last night after a long drive back from Devon. Recent CT notes seem fair to me, this is drinking nicely now, with fully resolved tannins, some nice leather & menthol flavours, and a long finish.

https://www.cellartracker.com/m/wines/358735

Third bottle from a recent auction purchase of six, stored at TWS, and this has been the best - the first two felt a little short and thin. Looking forward to finishing tonight.

It often seems to me that older wines take a good few weeks to settle after being transported. I know there’s dispute about whether wines can be disturbed by travel, and it certainly seems implausible that it might take them months to come together again, but that’s how it seems to me. These bottles arrived 1 June.

Jim

12 Likes

Seeing friends this weekend and managed these last night.

The Black Chalk is lovely as always as was the Chenin blanc. The Reverdito was new to us. Very pale red and a herbal, orange peel flavour. Not so acidic and possibly a bit flat but enjoyed nonetheless. The main joy was drinking all these with friends.

20 Likes

Opened this last night:

It’s not what I would consider typical chianti, either Rufina or any other, positively light, bright and frisky in colour, nose and palate. Lots of fruit still, which rather belies the TWS closing date of 2022 (although it’s not overly structured so maybe). I love Chianti Rufina but I’m not sure I’d describe them as “fun” wines which this one is. Not in a bad way - I loved it - but maybe more akin to the difference between a Beaujolais Villages and a Cru.

13 Likes

I bought the 2018 Cuvee Monsignori from Lay & Wheeler about 6 months ago for £22 IB per bottle (so approx £29.50 all in).

1 Like

I’ve had 2017 and 2018 from Costco, not all stock is listed online, in store is a different story!!

1 Like

It’s our last night in beautiful Dorset, and we’re having a bottle of this 2018 Corsican Vermentino with lemon sole and new spuds:

I’m usually not a huge fan of barrel-fermented Vermentino; I always worry the oak will mask the freshness and citrus flavours I like in a Vermentino, but I trusted Marcel’s description when I took a punt on the wine - and boy, this is very good indeed!

Pale straw in the glass, with maybe just a bit of green twinkle, the nose has notes of delicate white blossom, Gala melon, fresh lemons and a light whiff of vanilla.

On the palate it is also dancing about very delicately, with notes of preserved lemons, white peaches, vanilla and spice (cinnamon, perhaps). There’s still a bracing Vermentino acidity, but the 9 months on the lees had given it a more rounded mouthfeel. A touch of salinity on the finish, with maybe a bite of bitter peel note make this very moreish.

Jury’s out on whether this is worth £22, then again - who am I to quantify pleasure?

Happy weekend, all! :clinking_glasses: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

23 Likes

Angludet 2005. 9th of 12. Not much fruit left, which surprised me a little. Perhaps a bit of tca?

1 Like

Thought I’d try this, bought 6 EP. I really like young Syrah so enjoyed this a lot but it can certainly improve.

18 Likes

Since tasting notes are now de trop I will simply say justifiable infanticide!

19 Likes

Some 2016 Isole e Olena Chianti Classico this evening.

Oddly enough, there was quite a difference between:

1. The little glass I had just after opening, having just eaten a small bowl of Curiosly Cinnamon cereal; and

2. The proper glass from the decanted bottle (2 hours or so) drunk with duck leg cassoulet.

One was muddy, fruitless and hard work. The other had a lovely violet nose, plenty of cherry fruit to taste and the acidity to cut through rich food.

Can you guess which was which…?

19 Likes

So, was it a late breakfast or an early lunch?:wink:

4 Likes