Weekend Drinking Thread [4th to 6th of November 2022]

A lovely tromp through Barcombe Woods near Lewes today was followed by a pint of Harvey’s in the local pub, which was abuzz with excitement about tomorrow’s Lewes bonfire night. If you’ve never been to one - I highly recommend it, but don’t let the Health and Safety bods know. It’s probably the best bonfire event in the country - crazy, pagan and utterly wild! :fireworks:

Back home, we made some Mallorcan lobster stew (well, why not), and opened this bottle:

Côtes du Jura, Chardonnay, Le Clavaire, Domaines Carlines 2017

A bottle to split opinion, methinks! For me - it encapsulated what I love about wines from the Jura. They are completely their own thing - or as they say in Sussex - “We wunt be druv!” The husband found it intriguing, more than enjoyable. He wanted more of a hug from his wine, and instead the wine asked for his mind.

Anyway, what to say - this has a wonderfully unique profile. Call it ‘liquid flapjack’. Or maybe ‘the wine equivalent of peanut butter’. Pale straw in the glass, the nose had notes of… well, peanut butter, as well as pears, a hint of vanilla and porridge. Perhaps a touch of nutmeg spiciness too.

On the palate, it seduced with its creamy mouthfeel and embraced it with its nutty and oat-like notes, as well as crunchy apples, yellow flowers (I never tasted broom or gorse, but I imagine them to taste like this wine) and lees-y tangy savouriness. The faint hint of vanilla warmed the cockles on the medium plus finish.

It had zinging minerality but was creamy at the same time. It was nutty and savoury and not particularly fruit-driven… it was Jura all-over, and unlike the single reviewer on the website - me loved it very much!

LBF.PNG

Happy bonfire weekend to all! :clinking_glasses: :fallen_leaf:

35 Likes

Greetings from Madrid! My first stop on a mini adventure which will take me to Buenos Aires on Sunday. And, of course, after a long visit to the Thyssen-Bornemisza gallery, what better than to pop to the Carlota Wine Shop for a couple of AirBnb wines (alternative accommodation available, etc.), and before retreating, a selection of meats with a wonderful white and then red Ribeiro (sorry, the name of the red escapes me) at Angelita Madrid. Thoroughly recommended!

The wine opened back at the shack (I’m a firm believer in wine before accommodation), was Arizcuren’s Sologarnacha (Arizcuren Sologarnacha 2018 · Comprar por 27,45 € en Vinissimus). 100% Garnacha raised in concrete amphorae, it is not my usual style (I do like my oak), but it is very delicious. Branchy, brambly black fruits, but still has a touch of delicacy even at its 15%. It does slightly remind me, though, how much good value you get in the Languedoc…

30 Likes

Well done Inbar!

Sadly I have a complaint about TWS, and about this Community. Sitting on the sofa sipping a glass of wine, and catching up on the Community postings I forgot all about the quiche in the oven. Luckily the extra 15 minutes has not ruined it, just browned the pastry more than usual, and left the filling a tiny bit dry, but far from inedible. So not a severe complaint - consider it a warning!

Another of the Christmas Small Wonders, from last year, and yes, I’m on the case now!
https://www.thewinesociety.com/product/chateau-de-beauregard-saint-veran-le-vernay-2020

I’m guessing this would have cost about £12-14 on its own and it’s very good, as you might expect from Joseph Burrier. Quite rich and buttery with a gently tangy fruitiness. Not destined for much longer in this world sadly though I am sure it would have been fine to keep for several years. But you can only enjoy a bottle once and I’m enjoying this one right now!

27 Likes

You’ll just need to apply a little extra lubrication… half a glass should do it

13 Likes

Not sure about that - perhaps a bit more to be on the safe side!

12 Likes

Toad in the hole for supper here, accompanied by La Parde de Haut-Bailly 2005.

This was one of my first tentative stabs at EP many years ago, and this is the last but one of 12. I’ve neglected them for a few years as showier newer wines came along begging to be drunk. But going back to this now it’s good - in the way that a second estate wine can be. Muted nose, not overly powerful. But lovely deep red, tannins all soft and integrated, still some bright fruit. Very nice drinking, about to enjoy another glass with some cheddar. Glad I hung onto this now and have one more to go.

33 Likes

This tonight with burgers

Served cool, this is such a fun wine. Almost as approachable as a Beaujolais. Very soft tannins, ripe but not sweet fruit and a freshness to it that I can’t pin down. Might be the acidity or something to do with the winemaking? Not sure, but it’s one of those wines that keeps drawing you back for another taste.
Good with burgers but also good after burgers. It won’t see the morning.

32 Likes

@Inbar - what an amazing description. I love peanut butter. May just have to try a bottle…

@Brocklehurstj - that sounds a lot like a Laurent Combier Crozes-Hermitage that we had last week as a wine pairing in a restaurant. It’s amazing the variety that one grape can produce - so different from so many syrahs.

This evening I tried a variation on a recipe theme from the summer - deep fried prawns and scallops, with a Korean courgette recipe, kimchee, and a ssamjang and seafood sauce. We drank a bottle of Exhibition Santorini Assyrtiko, 2020.

The Society's Exhibition Santorini Assyrtiko 2020 (sadly out of stock)

Quite astonishing that this only cost £13.25 when I bought it in January. Lovely acidity, and tension between zesty lemon and a flinty salinity. There may be more intense Santorini Assyrtikos out there, but I doubt very much that there are many offering this sort of value.

Hope everyone has a good weekend!

30 Likes

All the talk about the Warwick EP offer elsewhere prompted me to open this Cab Sauvignon this evening. Fresh and brambly, it slipped down very well.

23 Likes

I appreciate this is a wine community, but staying dry tonight as providing late night taxi service to various family members. So I’m on my other love, posh tea. This one’s a Chinese oolong from a specific 500 year old tree (like you do!). From the brilliant Postcard Teas in London. Gram by gram it’s really expensive but once you’ve infused it billions of times, which you can, it’s about the same price per drop as the Society’s Claret.

Tastes amazing; I’m almost not jealous of all the delicious wines everyone is sharing….

34 Likes

Really love reading your descriptions @Inbar. Thank you for brightening my Friday evening :clap:

This helped too…

A 2016 Rocksand Shiraz from Casa Ermelinda Freitas. Probably past its best (drink by 2002) but still eminently gluggable, on the jammy side without much balancing acidity, but with plenty of drying tannins on the finish. Freebie with a case of Portuguese reds from Sunday Times Wine Club/Laithwaites years ago, if I remember correctly.

Good weekend all :wine_glass:

13 Likes

Very interesting to see this, Nick. Although I’m very much a coffee-drinker myself, and probably only drink tea 10-15 times a year [usually an afternoon pick-me-up of a strong utilitarian “builder’s tea” with a whack of sugar when I’m feeling weary etc], I do get into tea when we’re visiting wife’s family in Taiwan. Some of the “Grand Cru” Oolongs etc are quite incredible and every bit as terroir-influenced etc as wine. And as you no doubt know very well yourself, quality Oolong tea and others are a big gift item in Taiwan and I’d imagine in China too. So while I horde my white wines, wife hordes her fancy teas :~}

I’ll check she’s familiar with that place you mention; I’ve little doubt she will be, but I’ll get me some brownie-points if not!

10 Likes

Excellent. Nothing wrong with a good builder’s brew either!

3 Likes

Time machine? :laughing:

Ooops. 2022.

Too many twos :laughing:

2 Likes

The recipe called for a bottle of Burgundy/Pinot Noir so Sainbury’s bottom shelf beckoned. I had a taste out of morbid curiosity and while the nose wasn’t terrible (recognisably a Pinot), the palate was super acidic and thin. But for £7 what did I expect…

Much more interesting is the remains of the Warwick tasting I did yesterday evening. The 2012, which I was a bit underwhelmed with on the night, has really blossomed.

18 Likes

Tonight a bottle of PJA Cornas to go with a braised shoulder of venison joint… I decanted it at about 4.30 to drink about 7.30. Before that a glass of a small grower Champagne courtesy of my brother-in-law. I’ll report back later! Meanwhile, putting up more shelves in the cellar.

14 Likes

Vacqueyras Clos des Cazaux Saint Roch 2015. An old favourite, but a new vintage for me. Deep, savoury, with a touch of sweet red fruit at the finish. Was meant to be drunk after fireworks but on a miserable evening we didn’t need any persuasion to stay in. Especially with this bottle to enjoy.

26 Likes

If it reappears on the list 50p more will buy you this

https://www.thewinesociety.com/product/pinot-noir-pure-vallee-vin-de-france-famille-bougrier-2020-6a9b4a9c

5 Likes

Sadly I think I’m going to be invoking the society promise for only the second time. I opened a bottle of Gigondas, Ventabren, Moulin de la Gardette, 2010

There was a really striking and not too pleasant note to the wine that I just couldn’t quite identify but that’s probably because I’m not a sherry drinker! As soon as I sipped it tonight it was obvious! Very heavily oxidised, I guess the clue was in the colour which was extremely brown. Sad as I only bought it last week and it wasn’t cheap hence the probable call to MS. A little surprising as the ullage was good and the cork in perfectly good condition. But nope it was like having a glass of (poor) sherry.

Never mind, overall I think I’ve been very lucky with only two faulty wines in the last 6 years!

I now have to convince myself I was just unlucky and give Ventabren another chance sometime!

21 Likes