01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Weekend drinking thread [4th -6th Sept 2020]

I fear I mention this wine rather often, but I did buy a case a while ago and just have to drink it. This is not such an onerous task as you might think and it seems to me that every bottle I drink is better than the one before - a good quality in a wine!

Tonight with a king prawn and cheese filo tart which I’m also pretty happy with. This is the first time I’ve ever used filo pastry and it’s been an interesting experience. It’s very easy to cook with, but equally easy to tear accidentally. I have its measure now!

16 Likes

This is the opposite of try-before-you-buy: I blindly bought a six-pack of the 2018 en primeur this year; now to see what an earlier vintage is actually like…

Very open, with smiley ripe hedgerow fruits and spice rack and maybe a teensy bit of barnyard. Lovely nose. It’s structured but the tannins are fine and approachable. Really moreish, great length, yum. A little bit of black pepper joins the party on day two, but otherwise the same.

In my shonky amateur opinion, I’d say this is stylistically closer to Victoria than St Joseph – not in a bad way, mind. I love the Exhibition Victoria Shiraz, but this is at least as good, and a couple of quid cheaper.

It’s a winner :+1:

23 Likes

Sounds good @Herbster…let’s see if it’s in the 2019 EP offer…might be worth a punt!

1 Like

Reporting back on the M&S Chardonnay: actually quite surprised! Pear and buttery creaminess. Went really well with Friday night’s cod fillets.

Last night, we were meant to be go going to a friend’s house for dinner, with the youngling going to the grandparents for the first sleep over since February, but all cancelled due to new Glasgow restrictions! :cry:

We decided to therefore treat ourselves with a posh carry out from our local Mediterranean restaurant. Greek pork pittas and lamb stifado accompanied by the following delicious southern Italian red. My friend from Italy brought this one back with him. Dark fruits with a hint of leather and tobacco. Yum! :yum:

Always room for a cheeky Prosecco as well! :grin:

18 Likes

Thanks to @NickFoster for the sounds of fermenting wine. The gentle rhythmic bleeping of Gruner Veltliner was rather relaxing and Opitz One like musicians warming up for a gamelan performance.

Anyway, another Riesling from Dirler-Cade here yesterday (with more gammon and mash)…

…this time a ‘Saering’ 2010.

Relatively youthful pale gold colour. Golden orchard fruits. lime, earthy spice, and just a touch of kerosene on the nose. Aromas remained constant through the course of drinking whereas the ‘Spiegel’ had an ever changing quality. On tasting, similarly complex flavours to the nose but with less body and weight than the ‘Spiegel’ but with more evident minerality and, perhaps, greater Riesling typicity. Otherwise, both wines shared a similar mouth coating texture, had long tangy finishes and were a pleasure to drink.

Did I prefer one over the other ? Having now tasted them back to back that would be akin to splitting hairs. My only conclusion was that it’s best to revel in their differences without pitting them in competition and to enjoy them for what they are, terrific examples of mature dry Riesling.

16 Likes

This blend of malbec, cabernet sauvignon and merlot from 11 different vintages is a triumph, exactly how I like my wine, and such a good value for money. Notes of cigar box smells and black berries fruit. Drinking really well now, but with promise for further development over another 5-10 years.

18 Likes

so pleased to hear it! I’ve been thinking of taking some out of reserves but can’t decide I should wait. Sounds like its worth a try now and then leave the rest to develop further

2 Likes

I saw Bricks and My Bed a couple of decades back and loved them both.

If My Bed had been a painting of her bed, rather than an installation, would its distillation of life been more acceptable? The artefacts and results of pointless sex and alcohol and time to numb the pain of depression?

For my money the installation is much more powerful than a painting of the same would be because of its realness; you’re in the same room as her actual blood, sweat, and tears.

If it was a painting, it would be much easier to admire the portrayal and technique, rather than engaging with the actual art.

2 Likes

Not been much wine the last week or so, but this came out of the rack yesterday to go in the mushroom risotto and finishing it up today with afternoon tea.

Have to say, the perfect lunchtime white. Quite light but the flavour is of real interest. Fresh hay with an appetising bitter edge. It’s got me salivating over the finger sandwiches (luckily for our guests they’re still covered)

11 Likes

Brian Alfred Christopher Bushell Sewel 1931-2015 we need you more than ever.

We made the Butternut squash and chorizo stew last night that was recommended by the Society - excellent with two slightly more mature Malbecs - one from Michel Rolland and the other from a a Cantena. We then enjoyed a Argentine sweet wine made from Gerwurtraminer from Luigi Bosca with our apple pie.

Our favourite of the two reds was the DV Cantena 2014. More balanced and refined in our view. The reason that the label says Malbec twice is that the grapes come from two different vineyards the Angelica vineyard in the district of Lunlunta in Maipú at 920 m Where the soil is gravel, loam and clay, and the La Pirámide vineyard in the district of Agrelo in Luján de Cuyo at 950 m where the soils are aluvial loam (round rocks) with clay topsoil. The wine had an opaque centre. Red rim with hint of maturity. Intense nose. Black currant, plum, vanilla, cedar. Hints of cigar box. Rich palate. Ripe tannins. Dry. Lots of black fruits. Deep cedar notes. Refined and long. Lovely wine showing a little age. I really do like Argentine Malbec like this.
Rolland’s Val de Flores 2011 comes from his vineyards in the Uco Valley. Thus, we were surprised by the power of this wine. Dark, inky centre. A rim that still looks young despite being 9 years since the vintage - deep violet. Medium nose. More mature than visual appearance had suggested. Lots of cedary black fruit and dark chocolate. Black plums and prune. Hints of fig. Big, rich palate. Again signs of maturity. Firm tannins that coat teeth. Dry. Deep prune and fig fruit. Loganberry. Cedar. Finish slightly drying? Not as long as I expected it would be.
Bosca’s Gerwurtraminer Gran Nobles came from the 2019 vintage and is another example of the variety than can be found in Argentina. I was surprised that the grapes came from their finca el Paraíso site in Maipú at just 780m above sea level.

The wine was bright yellow with a gold hue. Medium plus aromatic nose. Lychee. Rose petal. Spice. Apricot. Fresh but sweet palate. Nice balance between fruit and acidity. Had a lightness (12.6% abc) that almost gives the impression that this is off dry despite it’s 66g of residual sugar. Medium finish. Without the intensity and length of more illustrious sweet wines but at the equivalent of £3.60 locally it is great value.

17 Likes

My wife and I were down in Silverstone yesterday for for the single seater racing experience. Absolutely fantastic.
We then went to Chafor Wine Estate for the afternoon (having never heard of them until this weekend). Their 2015 Vintage Cuvee is excellent. Bit of yeast on the nose and lemons/citrus on the palate. I wasn’t taken in by their blended Elegance white, but she like the Rose.

14 Likes

That’s a fine pair of rieslings this weekend, @Embee. Did you keep any of the Speigel back to taste side-by-side with the Saering? What you say mirrors what we normally find - the Saering is more “vertical”, and shows more minerality, while Spiegel is fuller in mouthfeel, but with less cutting acidity. Excellent wines, both.

4 Likes

Another weekend in this wasted year.

Friday
As usual with fish we had our no-brainer Sauvignon Blanc from Villa Maria
20200904_weekend-wines-fri-front
2020 Villa Maria Sauvignon Blanc Private Bin Early Release (New Zealand, Marlborough)
but not the usual vintage. We couldn’t wait to try a 2020, back label marked Early Release, bought at a ridiculously low price from Tesco during their 25% off deal, thanks to being alerted via a PM by a thoughtful reader of these threads.

Saturday
I made another four double portions of spicy baked beans, (canellini and borlotti), although I realised I didn’t have any ginger, and we enjoyed one with chicken and another bottle of

2017 Kanonkop Pinotage The Society’s Exhibition (South Africa, Stellenbosch)
this earlier drinking brother of the Estate Pinotage is drinking very nicely now.

Sunday
A long time since I’ve had this label in its snazzy black bottle
20200904_weekend-wines-sun-1
N.V. Freixenet Cava Cordón Negro Brut (Spain, Cava)
time was, a long while ago, we drank this regularly, and when we were in Grand Canary Christmas 2018 we bought a couple of six packs of 200ml bottles to enjoy as an aperitif before dinner.

Then with roast leg of lamb, roasted parsnip & potatoes, steamed carrots, broccoli and brussels sprouts with mint sauce from mint I’ve just picked in the garden

2018 Familia Zuccardi Las Piletas Corte Especial (Argentina, Valle de Uco)
From TWS. I was inspired to get this bordeaux blend after watching winemaker Sebastián Zuccardi in Argentina via Zoom last month as he talked about why the Zuccardi’s planted vineyards in the Uco Valley and he showed the soil and contour maps.

and another episode of Strike tonight. I am so not excited.

12 Likes

Is that the vineyard in Gawcott?

It is indeed.

How was the Batailley? I found it lovely, if a little young (but full of promise) in 2015, but when we opened one last year it seemed to have gone all angular, like a sulky teenager that just needed to be left alone for a few years.

With lunch of a beef casserole followed by cheeses came a modest but lovely St-Emilion Grand Cru 2010 from the Jonathan Maltus (owner of Le Dome) stable. The fizz was an enjoyable aperitif in sunshine on the terrace. Missed out on a sweetie with the apple crumble :frowning:

15 Likes

Wonderful weekend walking on Dartmoor. Now enjoying a stunning evening with a glass of this

Simply gorgeous wine. Slight spritz on opening which has quickly settled down. Quite harmonious. Citrus tang with hints of bees wax delivers a really long finish here. Am going to enjoy this over the next couple of hours!

Mrs GWills currently soaking off today’s walking accompanied with a glass of Taittinger. She seems happy. All’s well in the world!

16 Likes

Weekend is almost over and these 3 wines is what we had in the last few days.
First up is the Muscadet which I have to say was very average. Not much going on, wouldn’t buy again.
Next it was the A Lisa Malbec 2017 which is a wine that I had many years ago. Lovely nose if a little restrained at first. Elegant in the mouth, well judged fruit and good persistence. Should be even better in a few years. No fruit bombs here just a good example of what Malbec feom cool climate can be.
Last it was this delightful Pinot Blanc. So juicy and fresh, the kind of wine you don’t have to think to see if you like it or not. Thumbs up from the first sip.

14 Likes