01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Weekend drinking thread [4th-6th October 2019]

To see what SA can do I’d try a chenin at 20 or 25 quid

We joined @woodap in drinking something from Paul Ginglinger - Eichberg Grand Cru Riesling 2011 - with choucroute, salmon and seafood, and a shellfish beurre blanc.

The Eichberg is always fuller and rounder than the more tightly wound Pfersigberg, Eguisheim’s other Grand Cru. Gorgeous golden colour now; confit lemon and lime on the nose; kumquats. a touch of residual sugar, and just the right amount of acidity to avoid flabbiness; slightly smoky and spicy to finish. Only one bottle left.

It was the 2017 vintage. I say was because…

Tonight we enjoyed one of the many Cabernet Francs now being produced in Argentina. This wine is made by Alta Vista whose Bodega is located in Lujan, near the City of Mendoza, but the grapes come from a higher altitudes nearer to the Andes.

My notes were: Clear and bright. Opaque red centre, purple rim. Clean nose. Medium/full intensity. Black fruits, vegetal tones, vanilla, green pepper. Clean palate. Dry. Good tannins and acidity. Rich - viscous. Blackcurrants, blackberries, vanilla. Long finish. Good wine - great with lamb.

I think I have a cold

Welcome to the club! :sneezing_face::face_with_thermometer:

Bought this from the winery 4 years ago.

Yangarra Roux Beauté Roussanne 2013 with fish pie (not homemade).
Fermented in a big egg on it skins.
Slightly cloudy with a little bit of sediment.
The most luxurious mouthfeel I have ever tasted. Literally coats the tongue with exotic fruit but all reigned in with good acidity and a dry finish. Absolutely delicious.
Best white wine this year for me.

Sounds amazing. Will have to look out for Yangarra

Not the best thing I’ve ever cooked, Dover Sole ( more a Slip though ) from the supermarket shelf of sadness, dried out braised butter beans and burnt tomatoes…

…with a bottle of As Sortes Godello 2011 from Rafael Palacios. The third bottle of six, I’ve raved about it previously, but to reiterate, has all the flavour and complexity of a top Burgundy 1er Cru with similar food matching possibilities. Needless to say, it was the best part of the meal. The fish was good too but I’d have liked a bigger portion !

Euro 9.99 in the Dutch Albert Heijn supermarket. Not quite like the Bohorquez, but still a very nice wine at less than half the price!
IMG_20191005_133206110_HDR|375x500

https://www.ah.nl/producten/product/wi232119/protos-roble-ribera-del-duero?gclid=CjwKCAjw_uDsBRAMEiwAaFiHa_-9ZNQC0hMqiNqbE_8RM2o--4W-Rssla9BfkEwKIOIi0xg-qaqtyBoCPcYQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Thanks. As someone who is prepared to take a punt, I have just bought 6 of these.

Well, I’d have gone for six different ones, but hey… :slight_smile:

I guess you’ll get to know Morgenzon Chenin pretty well. There are many different styles, though, and I’d have gone for some of the newer producers, esp from Swartland (Alheit, Thorne & Daughters, both Sadies, Thistle & Weed, Loggerenberg…)

Looking forward to trying this ‘99 Rufina ‘Chianti’/IGT this evening…

Oooh! let us know what you think… I’ve got one sleeping in the wine fridge :+1:

Last night was the first tasting of the new academic year at the Uni Wine club here in Southampton. The vinous equivalent of ‘what I did on my holidays’ with seven presenters.

An English sparkler (Tinwood Estate, Sussex), an English Bacchus from Norfolk (that tasted like a Sauvignon Blanc), a disappointing Waitrose own label Albariño, a Bandol rose, a Spanish garnacha, another red that I got the last glass of an undecanted bottle that needed decanting :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: and a 10 year old Blandy Malmsey Madeira. Not a particularly stonking season opener, though the company and ambience made up for that. The wine of the night for me was the Bandol rose from Dom La Souffrane. Very impressive.

Tonight we are entertaining and will be serving a Masi Campofiorin with Piedmont Peppers, then a 2014 Brazin Zinfandel with a pork dish with carrots, creme fraiche and Irish whisky. I am hoping the sweetness of the carrots and whisky will be complimented by the Zin :crossed_fingers:

Loving the play on words - you beauty!

Having this rather delicious chardonnay tonight.

I really need to buy this and try it , have heard so much about it :+1:.

The ever dependable Soalheiro vinho verde this evening. I really enjoy this wine not least because it always reminds me of the first time I had it in very basic restaurant in Tavira in southern Portugal. Still with a very slight prickle on the tongue and intense lime fruit though with no hint of weightiness.