01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Weekend drinking thread [4th - 6th December 2020]

I will start this one this week (even though it’s only Wednesday).

This is the plan for Friday.

13 Likes

Unfortunately we just finished the last of our case of 10-yr-old H&H Bual last night. Which is awkward, as it’s really good, and I wasn’t planning on buying any more any time soon. :thinking:

3 Likes

I’m interested in what its like. I have a 5 YO of the same.

2 Likes

Talk about premature Maderisation!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

10 Likes

Yeah it is early… like Christmas this year. I bet someone will start another thread tomorrow. :grinning:

7 Likes

I’m tempted to start a thread for 2021.

8 Likes

I managed to finish the Raats Original Chenin Blanc last night, so off to that Madeira bottle today.

4 Likes

Time for the daily reminder that I haven’t started buying Christmas presents yet.

Luckily, it also provides something to ease the burgeoning anxiety, this time in the form of a critter wine:

Less gooseberry, more mango :yum:

But it’s lacking in the pick-me-up sharpness which is arguably the whole point of sauvignon blanc … hmmm.

But anyway, there’s plenty of fruit here, and it’s not pretending to be special or anything - just a quick everyday white. Plus it has a sparkly bird on the label, perched contentedly on a stave. :musical_score: :bird:

23 Likes

Maby Tavel rosê for us tonight, with a spicy tomato and fish stew.

6 Likes

Can’t decide what to eat tonight, tempted to support my local takeaway curry :joy: but also fancy hot dogs. In the mood for comfort food this evening.

So whilst I’m deciding I’ve opened a comfort wine.

Another winner from Katie Jones, I genuinely can’t remember having a bad wine of hers. Full bodied, dark purple in colour, lots of juicy cherry on the palate. Happy Friday night!!!

28 Likes

Save your money, can’t really say much more.

Enjoy your weekend everyone. :+1: :smiley:

20 Likes

Wish I had more of these and Hunter Valley semillon in general.

23 Likes

Going to have a fishy Friday of fillet of salmon with a king prawn, white wine and shallot reduction. I think I’ll have one of my favourite Chenin Blanc from South Africa. Such good value! I will report in due course! :face_with_monocle:

21 Likes

The cat is clearly not happy about the wine delivery. Or wants to get in?

22 Likes

Love that wine! It is the juiciest wine ever and so moreish.

2 Likes

After a bit of breathing this is tasting very nice. Not a fruitbomb and some nice herbal/aniseed flavour on the palate. Dangerously sippable. Only criticism is it’s a bit high toned and varnish-y on the nose but I’d buy again.

19 Likes

I have to say that, whilst I am in general agreement, a bottle of the new(ish) ‘A Different Direction’ missed the mark for me.

And we get to why I didn’t go big last night. House! After far too many false starts, falling throughs and lack of competence in conveyance, we finally exchanged contact this “morning”. Devaux “D” Rosé (or Pink D as id taken to calling it), despite five years age, this was definitely very much at the light appley end of the champagne spectrum. Yeasty on the nose but fresh green apples and citrus on the palate. Much less rich than I’d normally go for but really lovely (even the rather ripe brie overpowered it though!).

35 Likes

Our first bottle tonight was vile. Vinegar and musty so opened a trusty TWS classic and as always it’s juicy, smoky and warming.

15 Likes

Same same @GWills.

Although I was rummaging in the cupboard under the stairs the other day and what did I come across…?
A cheeky bottle of the 2005!
(Tesco purchase from yesteryear- when someone actually cared about their wine offering).
I thought Christmas had come early.

9 Likes