01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Weekend Drinking Thread [4-6 March 22]

Mid-afternoon Le Grappin Savigny les Beaune 2019,
Cheese and marmite crumpet.

41 Likes

Never let anyone ever tell you you don’t know how to live.

How’s it drinking?

12 Likes

Ripe and very fragrant. Raspberry gummies, fresh wild strawberries. The wild strawberry follows through on the palate but it’s still a bit firm and sharp. [EDIT: tart not sharp]

GF still on the covid recovery plan so just me and the Beaune; I’ve got all night for it to open in the glass.

17 Likes

Mmmm, what cheese?

If I had to drink just one wine for the rest of my life and this was it - well, that would be no bad thing.

I decanted for 4 hours. Hugely acidic on the first sip - but I trusted what was coming if patience was observed.

Classic nose. Vanilla and cherry, leather. Some earth too. So balanced on the palate. Tannins well integrated and wearing its alcohol lightly. More cherry, perhaps strawberry, vanilla settling a bit further back now, leather and a hint of smoke. It’s all just wonderful. The finish isn’t all too long but there’s a lovely full mouth feel.

It may not be as brilliant as the 2010, but this is fantastic wine. Considering what it costs and what you’d have to spend to get the same from other countries, then it’s a bargain. I’ll be drinking Rioja until the day I leave this world - hopefully a while yet - and there will be many more bottles of this one I hope.

Happy weekend all.

37 Likes

Decided on Bordeaux for a change. A gift from my generous cousin. Been in decanter for 40 minutes or so. Very good! Plenty of freshness and ripe black fruit. Not weighty, but elegant. Lots of cassis. Tip top for 2002

31 Likes

Tonight, low stress Spanish rice with Catalan sausages. And a bottle of Weinert Carrascal Assemblaje Especial Mendoza, opened last night. Hopefully daughter no’'2 will do the cooking.

Although they might be Calabrian sausages, they are red in anyway. No matter, it’s Friday.

8 Likes

Classic Lidl mature cheddar, always a block in the fridge for throwing onto things (usually not by me)

6 Likes

This would make an excellent separate thread…!

3 Likes

Do it!!

Here it is (or was)!

6 Likes

Jean-Philippe Fichet, Bourgogne Blanc Vieilles Vignes 2018

Was £93 / 6 in bond

Blossom/white flowers, lemon peel/oil, touch of oak.
Very good.
Will have it with some sort of stir fry teriyaki salmon thing.

18 Likes

Not quite the same. I think one’s last bottle may not be the same as the sole bottle you wish to drink ad infinitum… I’m thinking something very expensive rare and once in a lifetime for the former, and a nice quaffable pinot noir for the latter !!

4 Likes

Rather poignantly, the last response on the thread was by the recently departed Taffy-on-Tour.

12 Likes

I think that’s a different proposition. One glorious last wine might not be one you want to drink for ever. Or is it?

Edit: simultaneous post @PHarvey , sorry

2 Likes

Anyway, pleased to report that this afternoon’s tipple ( I tend to eat once a day in the late afternoon…) exceeded my realistic best case scenario of being NTB (not too bad) and was elevated to AQN (actually quite nice); maybe an S for surprising could be incorporated.

In synch with a separate thread about minimum spends and free delivery, this was a random add-on to a TWS consignment to qualify for said free delivery. And I guess illustrates my point about one bottle / free delivery makes no business sense as it deters opportunistic and potentially serendipitous purchases.

But yeah, it’s pretty nice. A straight bat Syrah, more CdR than McLaren Vale, coating tannins rather than chewy and a restrained but delectable layer of spice and pepper. But overall it’s a fruity and structured drop. It accompanied individual baked rice and blue cheese “cakes” with garden veg (kalettes, leeks and carrots). I’ve left half to see how it fares into the next day.

https://www.thewinesociety.com/product/syrah-du-maroc-tandem-alain-graillot-et-thalvin-2019

18 Likes

Fair point…

:grinning:

7 Likes

I’ve opened one of these

https://www.thewinesociety.com/product/la-grola-veronese-igt-allegrini-2015

Had a case of 6 bottles from one of the VCP’s back in the day when I subscribed. This is the fourth bottle I’ve drunk and it’s in a very nice place. Drinking very well, lots of fruit but nicely balanced and pretty decent value for the £20 it cost on the VCP.

6 Likes

Oooh! I have a bottle of the 2004 waiting for me. I might open it in the next 6 months or so…

Tonight’s indulgence is this one from a mixed case that I bought en Primeur a couple of years ago. I found out by scanning the QR code on the bottle that this wine comes from many plots including several in Puligny-Montrachet and Meursault. Can’t say I’m overly surprised, given how nice it is! Its buttery, citrussy aroma is followed by a fleshy, succulent combo of apple, lemon, cream, nuts and a hint of honey.

25 Likes