01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Weekend Drinking thread [3rd-5th December 2021] FOR KATIE!

And a lovely wine it is too! I’ve not had my '10’s yet and must pick up a couple of the '11s: Bóhorquez Reserva, Ribera del Duero 2011

I also notice TWS has another wine from Bohorquez on the list that might be worth a try: Momo Vendimia Seleccionada, Ribera del Duero 2017

4 Likes

I totally agree. No signs of ageing, but somewhat unexpectedly lovely to drink now.

I will check out the Momo, thanks.

2 Likes

I’ve had one of mine. Not too soon in my opinion but did benefit from a bit of air

I didn’t realise the ‘11 had been listed. Thanks for the share.

2 Likes

For Katie.

Rest in peace x

16 Likes

Raising a glass to Katie with the first of my 2019s:

14 Likes

Some Szechwan takeaway tonight with some Gemischter Satz. Good food match with the spicy food.

For my darling Katie, she would have loved it!

Shared with my mum and sister who have come up to Bristol to keep me company.

Thanks again for all the love on these pages, it might not be much, but its very much appreciated!

46 Likes

To Katie

17 Likes

No one can ever replicate the hurt in moments like this, I have lost recently two close family members, but that does not compare with a lifetime partner, only you know the pain, everything else pales into insignificance, best wishes and look after yourself.

17 Likes

I took it out of the fridge an hour or so before, but was still a bit cold. I thought it gave a lot more as it warmed…!

2 Likes

Cheers to Katie :wine_glass:

11 Likes

Is that the '16?

Raising a glass to Katie tonight.

Something Bristolian, before this:

https://www.thewinesociety.com/product/blind-spot-touriga-nacional-2020

They’re not kidding about the blueberry.

9 Likes

To Katie

17 Likes

Catching up on the community thread and saw the sad news about Katie. Raising a glass of Rioja to her and all lost friends. Stealing these lines which seem to sum up lost friends.

If I’d never met you,
I wouldn’t feel the pain
Of losing your sweet love;
I wouldn’t feel insane.

But if I’d never met you,
I wouldn’t know the pleasure
Of ecstasy’s warm gifts
And memories to treasure.

14 Likes
  1. 16 clearly better but this is wonderfully opulent, very heady nose.
3 Likes

Thanks

Very direct and moving.

4 Likes

Day Four came from Tuscany:

Fresh, red-fruited with a liquorice twist; not as full-on as the first two reds. The back label’s not very forthcoming but I reckon there’s a good dash of merlot in there with the sangiovese.

19 Likes

Friday usual plaice, new pots, peas and mixed salad (and I found a few Sungold tomatoes on outside vines that had turned orange even though the vines were dead or dying)

But not the usual wine:

2020 Torres Catalunya Viña Sol (Spain, Catalunya)
I won this wine in a raffle. I remember having a half bottle of it lunching when I was working in Madrid. It’s very drinkable, floral and refreshingly dry and Mrs. M really liked it, even though it wasn’t NZ SB. Not shown on Torres website but sellers say its a blend of Parellada and Grenache Blanc.

Saturday I spent the morning making a batch of baked beans, and the rest of the day stirring them at hourly intervals. We had a ladle of them with chicken and new pots and

2015 Kanonkop Pinotage Kadette (South Africa, Coastal Region, Stellenbosch)
This is the last of eight bought from Majestic. I have got one more left under the TWS Exhibition label of the dozen I bought from TWS.

I had the Estate 2015 on 27 November and thought it needed drinking up, but this Kadette - the junior brother meant for earlier drinking - seems a lot younger, fresher and full of life.

Sunday aperitif will be

N.V. Chapel Down Brut (England, Kent)

Traditional sparkling wine made from the usual three varieties. Lovely stuff.
and with roast lamb, roast parsnip, potatoes and steamed sprouts, cauliflower and Tenderstem broccoli spears (not to mention gravy and mint sauce) will be (as the statutes require) a claret, which is no hardship when its the house claret

2015 Château Tour St Bonnet (France, Bordeaux, Médoc)

Our thoughts are with Nick.

(Vina Sol from Tesco, Kanonkop from Majestic, Chapel Down from Waitrose, Ch Bonnet from TWS)

20 Likes

We drank a bottle of Ch Musar Hochar 2017 on Friday evening, a bottle which came as a surprise in a TWS mystery case a while back. I’ve never had it before though I knew it was well regarded and it was exceptionally good - definitely oak tones with perhaps some vanilla pods. It was alas the only one in the case. Still, it’s always good to try something new and be pleased with the result. We had it with a quiche Lorraine which went well enough with it.

6 Likes

For Katie

Cairanne is 2017

17 Likes