01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Weekend drinking thread 30th July - 2nd August

OK, bit early but it is a cold wet miserable Friday. So a bottle from sunny SE Spain will hopefully liven up tonight.
Spicy strawberry and cherry aromas and palate.Made by Julia Casado who trained in the Pfalz.
Monastrell vines, 50 years old bush trained, 500m. Large old oak foudres for fermentation and maturation.
Ripe tannins, fine and velvety. It will go with a grilled sausage extravaganza.
Have a good weekend.

25 Likes

Single vineyard Riesling from Bussay. I think it is 2017, but no way to tell it from the labels or the cork. Lemony, slightly savoury, quite reserved at this stage. May open up later, will keep my other bottle longer.

22 Likes

Walking Macmillan mighty hike tomorrow, so no wine tonight.
Might need a glass or two tomorrow evening!
26 miles if I make it.

22 Likes

Seeing @Inbar’s enthusiasm at the prospect of this wine encouraged me to get a bottle. I’ve just cracked the screwcap and it is indeed promising…

19 Likes

Well this is a pleasant start to the weekend. It has a real lightness of touch up front, would almost go as far as to say delicate.

Good fruit, light oak and decent length. What’s not too like especially the price. No idea if this has been a staple on TWS list but its a winner.

21 Likes

I opened this last night, Had a couple of small glasses and put back in the fridge. I wasn’t sure if this was a winner but it is so much better this evening. It felt a bit rough around the edges last night, a bit harsh but today those rough edges have been smoothed away and I’m very much enjoying it.

Lovely nose, huge waft of petrol. Lovely full body.

Even more enjoyable as I’ve not opened any wine for about 3 weeks as I’ve been ill with covid thanks to the Wembley petri dish. All recovered now!

26 Likes

Not the most obviously Pinot we’ve ever tasted but very savory and moreish (Waitrose Cellar)

20 Likes

A productive day here clearing, and then recycling, a car load of accumulated junk that was scattered about the flat followed by a lengthy workout at the nearby leisure centre.

As a reward for those efforts this was enjoyed with a pincha steak, chips, peas and salad (self indulgence is my forte)…

…and a rare treat it is too . 90% old vine grenache + 10% mourvedre. Bright translucent ruby red. Savoury plum, fig and berry fruit, a hint of prunes, cinnamon and clove spice and some hard herbs on the nose. Medium to full body, ripe, but by no means over extracted, layered and nuanced flavours that mirror the nose. The spice notes on the palate are distinctly peppery though. Fresh acidity and grainy tannins provide elegant balance and good structure. No overt oak flavours and there’s an expansive finish to end a wonderful drinking experience. Good for a decade yet, no doubt, if stored under good conditions ( not possible here though ).

Have a great weekend everyone !

29 Likes

I’ve been meaning to open this for a while and the post from @Brentw1 on the weekday drinking thread has kicked me into action.

This is stunning, I have 6 in reserves but starting to think I need more, some to drink now and more to see it develop over the years. Rich, fruity, a massive step up from Jeunes Vignes.

26 Likes

Er, any, cardboard to report… by any chance?

3 Likes

Sancerre - really ? Bit of a duff start to my weekend, sad to report. A very hard work day fending off the sick n’ bads merited something zingy, fresh Granny Smith appley, bit of citrous and some lip-smacking pick-me-up action to go with my hastily re-heated fish pie and cabbage.

But - yeah - it was perfectly nice but frankly a bit dull and anodyne. None of the anticipated Sancerre boxes were ticked. I’ve been to Brochard’s place - in Chavignol - and tasted far more exciting wines than this. I seem to remember this was a TWS purchase but seems to have vanished from the current list. No huge loss.

11 Likes

Haha, indeed, four TWS cartons, along with around 20 empty bottles, a knackered shredder and computer and two bin bags full of compostable wool from numerous food deliveries from Aktar and The Wild Meat Co ( for which I blame, and thank, the members of this community ) :wink:

6 Likes

Following MOW it’s Friday pizza and a new one for us , kale, onion, garlic and Emmental, not a tomato in sight ( although the back up did… yes coward!). Well it works a treat and we enjoyed the Niepoort , Fabelhaft with it.

18 Likes

Over the last few days we’ve been visiting some wine producers in the Bas-Rhin, trying out some new producers, villages and Grands Crus.

• We started with Hubert Meyer in Blienschwiller to try out the village speciality sylvaner, and also his Grand Cru Winzenberg wines. Inexpensive, unpretentious, pretty good value, and doesn’t fall into the trap of making blowsy, low acidity wines from the better terroirs.
  • Yesterday we headed north to Dahlenheim where we tasted at Mélanie Pfister, who is a different kettle of fish. Very high class, clean, precise wines, and we’ll definitely be back. Do try her wines if you see them.
  • Also yesterday up to Marlenheim at the far north of the Alsace vineyards, where we visited Domaine Fritsch to try their wines from the most northerly Grand Cru, the Steinklotz. They’re convinced that their lyre trained vines (technically banned) emphasise fragrance over minerality, but we weren’t so sure. Very friendly though, again good value, and some interesting blends.
  • Today, we re-visited Domaine Loew at Westhoffen, where once again we had a wonderful tasting in the charming company of Etienne Loew. Like Pfister, they make very fine, interesting wines, and are experimenting with new techniques and blends (of which more later). Sadly, it seems that their importer has made the decision not to sell retail in the UK, but only through restaurants and wine bars. Again, I’d thoroughly recommend trying them if you can.
  • Finally, we visited Domaine Neumeyer at Molsheim, to try their Grand Cru Bruderthal. We’d seen their wines in high quality wine shops in Alsace, did a bit of research, and they deserve their place. Beautiful dry rieslings with an almost floral quality, and we finished with a gorgeous 2008 pinot gris vendanges tardives - honeyed and nutty, but all of the acidic balance of the vintage.

We’ve got a couple more Bas-Rhin visits planned - Boeckel, and Hering (as recommended by @JayKay), but a couple of things have stood out - as we already knew, there’s some lovely, fine wine being made in the Bas-Rhin that we just very rarely see in the UK; and orange wine has arrived in Alsace. Three of the producers (Pfister, Loew and Neumeyer) are making vins de maceration, and they’re generally pretty successful. Which brings me onto dinner.

Duck à l’orange? Dinner in the garden again, with duck and orange kebabs from the butcher, and duck chipolatas from the poultry stall on the market. And we drank an orange wine from Domaine Loew - All You Need Is Loew “Jus Sur Baies”, 2020 (N.B. Loew is pronounced “lerve”)

It’s made by macerating gewurztraminer skins and juice, with the addition of juice from pinot gris and pinot blanc to add some acidity. This is the sort of wine that could bring me round to thinking that orange wine is a good thing, having been less than convinced in the past. It’s still noticeably fragrant, and retains a lot of gewurztraminer varietal character, while being completely dry. Good body, good tannic grip to the finish, good with food. I wouldn’t want to drink it every day, but it’s a nice addition to the cellar. I’ve certainly enjoyed these orange wines far more than I’ve enjoyed any of the unsulfured rieslings which also being widely attempted here.

Happy Weekend!

37 Likes

Unimpressed by the weather, particularly earlier today, and somewhat exhausted by my workout session, I was feeling vinously uninspired. A rummage in the depths produced a 2005 Seghesio Cortina Dry Creek Valley Zinfandel which woke me up a bit.

A deep reddish, purplish, blackish colour which I’d half expected to be fading but isn’t at all. Rich warm powerful aromas of blackberry, blackcurrant, treacle. To taste black fruits, dark chocolate, treacle, leather, with a sort of dry but sweet fruitiness. (Can I say that?). A very long finish with more than a hint of alcohol. It’s labelled 15% but could easily be more imo. I don’t have any more of this which now seems rather a pity.

20 Likes

I’m a Big fan of Soave and TWS range of Pieropan wine is very good. This Gamberalla last night produced next door to Soave is a very nice alternative to the Classico.

Yellow peach and nectarine with possible a touch more acidity than the Pieropan Classico. Very nice and will be on my wish list for future purchases.

19 Likes

Some pretty awesome wines being opened this weekend already.
We’re at friends and had a few bottles of fizz (Rathfinny Blanc de Noir and Morrisons The Best Cremant de Limoux)
Then a magnum of this

31 Likes

Where did you get that Tom ? I’m sure I have had it previously.

@lapin_rouge It was on TWS list but is now out of stock unfortunately. It looks like they have it on the list occasionally.

The Schröck Blaufränkisch was as good as anticipated. On the nose an obviously young wine (2020), blueberry, reminded me of a Beaujolais somehow. Fresh and fruity on the palate, with, as the TWS notes and all the text books say, that hint of green pepper. Later on the fruit faded a bit, but the wine was left with something more savoury and structured.
We’re having a small lunch party in a couple of weeks and this will definitely fit the bill for the red wine option.

10 Likes