01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Weekend Drinking Thread (2nd July-4th July)

Sounds dreadful, glad you were able to sort out the immediate mess, guess repairs could take a while.

FYI, Stop cock and cock stop very different things, best not use Google on the second :rofl: :rofl:

13 Likes

Ouch! Well I guess it could have been worse.

1 Like

Ouch! Happened to me a few years ago so I very much feel your pain.

At least the wine’s a cracker! (I hope, I quite enjoyed the last bottle I had anyway).

1 Like

What a nightmare. Hope all ok now @Leah (well, as well as it can be)

1 Like

We embraced this semi-autumnal weather - if you can’t beat it, join it - and lit a nice little fire in our makeshift firepit this afternoon. I took the opportunity to burn some old documents too, which was rather cathartic… :relieved:

Continuing on a smoky theme, we’re having leftover smoky pork rib ragù and pappardelle and opened a rather smoky 2017 Blaufränkisch from Pittnauer:

This comes from ‘Heideboden’ - not really a single vineyard as such - but a region located on the eastern shores of lake Neusiedl, with soils made up of sand, gravel, lime and clay. The vines for this particular wine come from sandy soil. Deep inky colour in the glass, the nose reveals notes of plums, blueberries and bramble, with a whiff of smoke, a spicy pepperiness and something a touch vegetal too (like a tomato leaf).

On the palate this started a little too lean, but with a bit of time in the glass became fuller in fruit and spice. In fact, it’s juicy and welcoming - with notes of damsons, forest berries and sour cherries, a touch of black pepper and an appetising acidity. Smooth, barely noticeable tannins, and medium in finish - I sense this is the best it’ll give and at its peak. It’s not overly complex - which makes it not the best value-for-money wine (I paid £16), but to our palates it is a food-wine par excellence for its fresh fruit and appetising nature. Looking forward to seeing how it matches the smoky rib pasta!

Happy Sunday, one and all! :grinning: :clinking_glasses:

22 Likes

Celebrating son’s birthday today and so another leg of lamb accompanied this time by a Chanar Punco from the Calchaqui Valley in northwest Argentina that spans the Tucuman/Salta provinces. This blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Malbec and Merlot Comes from grapes grown at up to above 2,400 meters above see level.

Deep red centre - just opaque. Deep red rim with just a shade of purple. Medium nose. Very pure fruit. Blackberry, raspberry, black currant, plum. Notes of sweet vanilla and spice. Rich palate. Lots of ripe fruit. Fresh acidity. Ripe tannins. Very balanced. Plum, cherry, raspberry. Hints of tabacco and dark chocolate. Long finish, lovely pure fruit.
For desert you would never guess my son loves profiteroles!

We accompanied them doused in chocolate with my last half bottle of the Petit Manseng from Chateau de Cabidos. Bought six of these a good few ago thinking they were for the short term but was pleasantly surprised when then they got better with every bottle. Enjoyed it so much that I went to the TWS website to see if they still sold it - they do.

Bright gold. Medium plus nose. Toffee and orange peel. Dried apricot. Hints of walnut. Rich and sweet but with excellent balancing acidity. Honey. Dried fruits - apricot, raisins and apple. Caramel. Long finish. Delicious.

25 Likes

Nice wines

22 Likes

Oooh, interesting to see this on here, I ordered some of the 2015 release from L&W earlier this year but have been looking for some of his older wines for a while, may I ask where you bought this?

L&W also, I think this I got early 2020 or 2019. When the 2015 Village Ventoux was released in January this year they also did a ‘museum’ release of the 2007. I expect they will again release something older with the 2016 in 2022.

1 Like

Noted and edited :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::joy:

It was … I can feel a Decantalo order happening soon :joy:

5 Likes

This one was opened last night and I also had 2 more glasses for lunch.
A very competent Rosso. Not a complex wine but it has all I want in a rosso. Bright red fruit, lovely ruby colour and good acidity. Better integrated than I expected and ready to drink.

17 Likes

Hmm, not sure how I missed that, thanks for the info anyway!

Every picture tells a story (Don’t it); so here I am holed up in a B&B hotel in Alençon for the night; half way through my drive down to my gaff in the Pyrenees (and thence to Emporda and Rioja Alta - more of that in the days to come), so my gourmet offering is a cheese sarnie, Seabrook crisps and this rather nice Hawkes Bay pinot, of which I shall guzzle approximately half in due course…

I printed off my Covid vacc certificate from the NHS app and was accepted without comment by the french border at Le tunnel. This means I won’t have to quarantine.

20 Likes

Surprised they didn’t quarantine based on that :yum:

4 Likes

Using your Irish passport ?

1 Like

In fact yes, but I don’t think presenting a UK passport would be a game changer. Insouciance was the mood I gleaned. And … surprisingly quiet, no queues; unusual for a Sunday afternoon. I’ve been across three times this year and this was by far the easiest. Encouraging hey.

2 Likes

@Leah - sounds awful. Hope that you get the repairs sorted in a reasonable time.

@Robin63 - Happy Birthday to your son. How many of you to share those profiteroles?!

@Inbar - Congratulations to your other half.

@Embee - That tarte flambée looks good - some nice scorching on the edges. And what better wine than sylvaner?

We returned to my cooking this evening, with rack of lamb with a pistachio crust, served with a favourite Madhur Jaffrey recipe of aubergine cooked in pickling spice - garlic, ginger, tomatoes, fennel seeds, kalonji, coriander, etc. The wine came from a Mystery Case - Martinborough Te Tera Pinot Noir 2014.

As mentioned, the 2014 rather than the 2019 shown here. Quite old for this wine, and possibly out of its TWS drinking window, given that the 2019’s window goes to 2025. Probably fading a bit (I can’t say definitively, not having tried it in the full flush of youth), but still enough fruit there to be drinking well - more dark cherries than the juicy redcurrants and cranberries of the description, but they’re probably the first to go. I’ve sometimes found NZ PN to fall between two stools - neither earthy enough to be Burgundian, nor the bright fruit for uncomplicated drinking. This, happily, seems to be firmly in the latter camp, and no worse for it. I’d like to try a younger one with the acidity and red fruit amped up, but this did very nicely with this evening’s dinner.

22 Likes

Hurries off to back bags… :wink: :+1:

2 Likes

Hi, just 5 plus 2 hungry 2 year olds who preferred the chocolate!!

3 Likes

Impressive! But maybe time to stay away from the bathroom scales for a couple of days :laughing:

4 Likes