01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Weekend Drinking Thread (2nd July-4th July)

Got back early due to the West Premiership cricket match I was umpiring being washed out just as second innings commencing, much to relief of team facing 329 to chase on a challenging wicket…opener for first team got 200…quite the best knock I’ve seen for a long time.

Anyway, we had this, last bottle of 6, with foil parcels of halibut and monkfish oven steamed, with home grown new potatoes and mange tout.

It was fab. At its peak I would think, though that peak may go on for a while. Like a really good Meursault, some tropical fruit, some nuts, but dry and long. This was a great vintage for this wine, which is sometimes drunk too young. I have 2016 and 17 and will keep them for a bit.

19 Likes

Oh that would be good…the 2019 is fantastic and will go on for a couple of years at least I reckon.

Stock control must be going awry, I’ve just found a 2017 too. It won’t hang around much longer.:grinning:

1 Like

Good spot. 9.5v 8.5 for the Belgians. Though I do think I prefer the traditional duval without this trendy citra hops nonsense. Onto San Miguel and Edinburgh beer factory paolozzi lager to celebrate a very serene England win. Very alien for those reared on dreadful English teams of the 70s and 80s

4 Likes

Been offline for a wee while….but back with a bang tonight. Date night dinner, fillet steak, fries, mushrooms, sautéed onions and a green salad with….

Exquisite. Soft, well integrated and developed fruit finish, and for its age multi layered cassis lingers long after each mouthful.
Last bottle, but a memorable glass of very fine wine.

41 Likes

This - TreRè Re Famoso Bianco, Ravenna 2020 - went down a treat over this evening, and really is a very nice wine. Rich but fresh & light-footed, and full of blossom and sunshine. Roasted peaches in a meadow at dawn. Really very nice indeed.

14 Likes

Congratulations to the other half! :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks, Mike! :grinning:

1 Like

A bottle of the infamous Amelma Langhe Nebbiolo (see other threads) opened last night, to accompany a bit of steak and salad

Very nice. Tiny glass on opening proved enough to confirm good condition and also the need for a little air so I left the cork out for a couple of hours. The TWS description is fairly accurate, definitely red cherry and something savoury, though I’d say leather rather than tar. It’s showing signs of age, not in an unpleasant way. Fresh enough to enjoy another glass on the sofa in front of the game.

Sorry, no food pics, I’ve only got this

34 Likes

Friday
Lightly dusted plaice fillet, new potatoes, peas and mixed salad accompanied by Mrs M’s favourite-
20200904_weekend-wines-fri-front
2020 Villa Maria Sauvignon Blanc Private Bin (New Zealand, Marlborough)

Saturday - usual chicken, new potatoes and spicy home-made baked beans with

2018 Babylon’s Peak ‘The Wedge’ Pinotage (South Africa, Swartland)

Second bottle of this delicious bold wine.

Sunday Our aperitif will again be
20200710_weekend-wines-sun-1

2017 Antech Blanquette de Limoux Réserve Brut (France, Blanquette de Limoux)

This is super Cremant at a super price and I’ve so far bought 24 bottles of it…
With roast chicken, roast parsnip and potatoes, steamed broccoli spears, cauliflower and pointed cabbage, I’ll be opening

2016 Bohórquez Momo Vendemia Seleccionada (Spain, Ribera del Duero)

Variety named on front label is Tinta del Pais, but this is a local synonym for the grape Ribera del Duero built its reputation on - Tempranillo.

Momo is a new wine to me, bought (as so many are) after nice things were said about it on this forum. I’ve to thank (I hope) @Andrew20 for the tip.

(Villa Maria from Sainsbury, rest from TWS)

30 Likes

Good to hear as I have a case of this (sourced via Wine Owners I think and cost me north of £300 so glad to know it is a bit special!)

1 Like

@Brocklehurstj - no need for a food pic - the one you’ve posted says everything you need to know!

@Aspedini - that’s a lovely picture you paint. I tried that wine a couple of years ago and thought it superb, but clearly needing some time for the tannins to calm down a bit. Amazing depths of flavour.

We, too, had an evening with one of our children, though she’s all grown up, and just back to see us for a weekend; postponed due to her having sat next to a colleague who tested positive, with subsequent 10-day isolation. Happily all good now. We’d been thinking of trying a foodbox from Tommy Banks, and took advantage of the extra person to order two different ones, and turn it into a six course menu.

Elderflower-infused tomatoes and mozzarella:

Bresaola and killeen:

Cod and whey sauce:

Pork belly, pommes Anna, and baby gem:

Blackcurrant cheesecake:

Chocolate and lovage parfait:

The food was all excellent - the only criticism would be that the whey sauce with the cod was over-salted - and a bit of chance to practice my plating skills with instructions from a proper chef!

Wine-wise, we started with Dirler-Cadé Grand Cru Saering Muscat, 2016. Tomatoes and mozzarella is one of Jean-Pierre Dirler’s recommended matches for the wine, we’ve done it before, and it works really well. Understated and elegant, there’s a depth of minerality that kicks in after an initial hit of grapes and jasmine. Long and minty on the finish, it pulls off the trick of being simultaneously airy and substantial. Then we moved onto Domaine Loew Grand Cru Engelberg Pinot Gris, 2018. Still young, but very drinkable (and 2018s are going to be young-drinking anyway). This is fermented dry, compressing all of the pinot gris ripe plums and yellow fruit into a spicy, smoky essence of the grape, that’s easy to match with a wide range of food. Another hit from the northern end of the Bas-Rhin vineyards - Loew are in a neighbouring village to Mochel.

I’ve got a kougelhopf rising, Le Tour and a recording of the England game to watch, some family home, and a day off work tomorrow, so it’s not a bad weekend so far :slight_smile: Happy Sunday!

31 Likes

Thanks for this - I looked at that this year but decided against it as it was too alcoholic. I’ve loved previous vintages and will go for it again if it’s back down to 12.5 or 13%. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed it. I’m waiting for some Aviron Chénas which hopefully is as good as previous years.

2 Likes

When you say ‘a bit of steak’, @Brocklehurstj, you’re not exaggerating - there’s hardly any meat on that bone! :rofl:

5 Likes

That was just carving. Bit smug of me to say, but the fillet was perfectly rare and the sirloin medium-rare. With it looking so tasty, we didn’t want to waste any. Didn’t even need to gnaw the bone.

4 Likes

I like Monastrell, it is light has a nice edge goes well with most foods and makes a good summer red.
This one is different a Monastrell on stilts, an aged Monastrell.
It comes from a high altitude site and is by Molino y Lagares from the 2015 vintage, aged for over a year in French oak it gets a treatment few Monastrell’s ever see and it shows.
Although 14.5% it is not heavy but full, deep colour not opaque and clear rim, very full nose of brambles and berries, something along the lines of a Bordeaux if you try hard enough, smooth integrated tannins no obvious signs of the oak and a fresh full berried mouthful, and good length.
This is not a typical Monastrell but shows what a good winemaker can do with a grape few would choose for greatness, very good bottle and at just over £15 an absolute bargain, and it stayed good to the last drop, one to go back for.

14 Likes

Wow, after looking at everyone’s posts this morning I can’t help but feel I need to up the ante here food and wine-wise :yum:

So far this weekend and first up on Friday a 2017 Alsace Sylvaner…

…from Albert Boxler. Clean and fresh nose, nothing bruised or coarse, of ripe golden apples, a hint of pear and a strong mineral note. Similarly bright and direct on tasting with plenty of minerality and a delicate green herbal note too. It wasn’t particularly complex but its purity of flavour, and its seemingly effortless quality, made it oh so easy to drink. Perhaps not the best VFM at £19 though.

I’ve never been any good with dough ( in every respect ) but I decided to confront my fears and make tarte flambee to pair with it, or something approximating it, anyway…

…the dough was more knuckled then kneaded but it did roll out into an ultra thin base. In the end I was pretty happy with the result and some valuable lessons were learnt for future attempts.

Yesterday saw these opened…

…the ‘Stein’ Gruner Veltliner 2019 from Jurtschitsch ( £12.50 ) was enjoyed with a bowl of shell-on prawns whilst watching Le Tour. In many respects, weight and purity of flavour particularly, it was reminiscent of the sylvaner. Spicy golden apples, a twist of lemon and some stony minerality on the nose. Same again on tasting with a hint of peach and apricot too. Quite light in weight but taut and flavourful all the same, what its refreshingly mineral palate lacked in complexity it more than made up for in sheer drinkability. TWS drinking window is until 2027 but if I had another bottle I doubt it would make it to the end of next week here !

The Ribera del Duero ‘El Secreto’ 2016 from Vina Mayor was paired with lamb chops and lentils…

…which tasted a lot better than it looks in the pic. With hindsight I should have decanted as it was very much a wine of two halves ( think I’ve been watching too much footie ). Sweetly ripe, and rather obvious, aromas and flavours initially, red berry and cherry fruit with an undertow of coconut ( American oak ? ) and chocolate. After and hour or so that initial oaky red fruited sweetness began to morph into something darker and more savoury . Violets became apparent on the nose, spicy notes developed on the palate and the fruit became more plum-like, Fresh acidity and ripe tannins provided good balance and structure and there was a bit of balsamic lift on the finish. Pretty good VFM { £16 ) for what was in the bottle.

Have a great Sunday everyone !

27 Likes

Clos de Trias Fara 2008 here. It is single varietal Grenache, which is not normally my go to. This one is very good though. Not sure where all the acidity is coming from, but I am not one to complain about high acidity especially it is balanced by nice sweetness of fruit, might be the altitude on Ventoux (just a wild guess). I can smell the age much more than I can taste it. Lip smacking stuff.

22 Likes

Thank goodness for 2 friends coming over last night for some drinks and dinner, because without them I may not have a kitchen ceiling now :see_no_evil:.
Around about 11.30pm we heard a huge gushing sound coming from the bathroom and discovered a pipe had burst , electrics went as I was in my back lane in the dark attempting to turn the stop cock off while water was pouring down my kitchen walls and through the ceiling … I couldn’t find a wrench big enough to turn it but managed to isolate the pipe eventually whilst my friends kept the kids calm (they woke with all the noise) and ran about with Mats, towels, buckets and bowls .
Fortunately the ceiling hasn’t come down & I’m now waiting for the electrics to dry out to get the lights working again …
Oh and we drank this :joy::see_no_evil:. Extremely eventful evening .

31 Likes

The weather here has been a bit iffy over the last few days with a really dramatic storm on Friday night and rivers running down the street as I took the children to cricket!

We have been enjoying this over the last few days. I am sure it is sacrilege to say so but others have been equally sacrilegious about Pinot Noir from time to time so it’s time to make my confession too and say I do struggle with Sangiovese sometimes.

Hard though it is, I will keep trying through my struggles and this one will help. While there were some secondary aromas and a touch of liquorice there was still some fruit with blackberries and black cherries which made it a bit softer and somehow more easy to like.

Happy Sunday everyone.

19 Likes