01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Weekend Drinking Thread (2nd July-4th July)

Warm day in North Herts and the wine choice couldn’t be more appropriate. What a fantastic white this is!
It reminds me of a good mersault.
Nose is tropical fruit and on the palate is very focused. Citrus, saline, excellent body and weight. Beautiful golden colour and at 12,5% way to easy to sip. I’m my opinion this will age well for a couple of years and paired well with my bacon sarnie.
Always happy when something this good comes from Portugal :slight_smile:
Great weekend all!!!

29 Likes

It is a lovely wine, and I can confirm it’s equally nice in South Herts too :-}

2 Likes

Early eats tonight, courtesy of number one son playing cricket. Homemade lasagne to add ballast to the fielding, accompanied by this:

Bottle said it was good for red meat and cheese so I thought it was worth trying. Dense, thick red. Aroma of blackberry and fig. First taste very dry. Tannins could be a challenge here - might need to try after the match and see what has emerged. Exciting, though - and a good challenge for a wife to guess the grape!

15 Likes

Oh dear - bacon sandwich at lunchtime is pushing it… although the ‘its Friday’ rule is accepted. But laying the bacon widthwise instead of lengthwise is beyond the pale.

5 Likes

This evening, Moules Frites with a fabulous Muscadet. Simplicity.

The mussels are from Shetland, and because they came from the wholesale market, are tight closed and 1 possibly 2 days fresher than any supermarket bivalves. There will be butter, shallots, masses of parsley, a dash of white wine and cream to guild the lily.

Frites are McCain Crispy French Fries - absolutely not as good as the real thing - but after exhaustive research lasting many years, are I think perhaps the best oven chips.

16 Likes

It’s just saperavi, yes ?

A couple of English wines lined up for tonight. Neither from TWS I’m afraid.

10 Likes

My understanding of Mukuzani wines is that they are aged for quite a bit longer than is usually done and for at least 3 years in oak in the Kakheti region.
They use the Saperavi grape.

2 Likes

A summers evening, so it’s some cellar-cool Beaujolais, and it’s a cracker. Cherries and red currants and freshening acidity and slight earthiness to the finish and just generally good fun. Amazing value as I think i splashed out the princely sum of £7 for it. 2020 is available now for £7.95

17 Likes

Been a bit of a weird week what with having ecg and blood tests - all clear I hasten to add. Decided I had been a brave little soldier and deserved something nice (not really but any excuse eh? :sunglasses:). Fourrier Morey St Denis Clos Solon 2005.

Perfectly mature with beetroot and dark plum to smell, still some grip and lots of dark fruit to taste and a citrus acidity on the finish. Very attractive and far too easy to drink.

30 Likes

First bottle of six bought EP.

This is delicious. Initially too cold at 6* from the fridge but even then the fruit aroma on first opening was a clear hint in what was to follow. Once it warmed up a little it really showed it’s colours.

Slightly green hay in colour and the nose is all green apple, nectarine and peach. There’s some floral aspect that I couldn’t quite get. A little white pepper on the finish (I would have preferred a little more) but a really long unctuous finish.

Earlier this year the winemaker suggested that this is either drunk early or left for a 5 or 6 years. On the basis of the first bottle I will definitely drink another couple in the next year and leave the rest till later in the decade.

23 Likes

Just what I was hoping to hear!

Found a bottle of Maby Tavel Prima Donna 2018 in the rack. Still absolutely delicious, with bass and ratatouille

6 Likes

At, or just over, the peak. Lean, intensely savory, layered, complex but, above all, remarkably fresh for a 30 year old wine.

[Edit: £55 from TWS in 2012. Worth it.]

33 Likes

Wow! Just wow!

Not jealous, nope, no, not all, never!

3 Likes

This week, I arrived early at the fishmonger’s to find that he once again had razor clams, and this time there was nobody in front of me to nab them :slight_smile: I cooked them with black beans and chilli, together with some salt and pepper squid, and pak choi with garlic and ginger. We drank Léon Beyer Gewurztraminer Réserve, 2010.

Having not used the Grand Cru appellation for many years, nowadays Beyer label this wine as Grand Cru Eichberg. It’s not like most Grand Cru gewurz, though - while there’s the expected Eichberg smokiness and richness, the reason for eschewing GC is clear, as the Beyer label says much more about it than Grand Cru would (or does). It’s a gorgeous wine, and far drier than the flowers and tropical fruits of the nose lead you to suspect; typical of the producer, and atypical of Eichberg gewurztraminer, which is normally much sweeter. Great intensity, packed with fruit, and yet the acidity emphasises the pepper and spice of the finish. A super food wine.

Happy Weekend!

27 Likes

This tonight:

As a couple who will reach for Beaujolais as a default choice we’ve had several from this producer before, and maybe it’s a tad young but it’s a little hot (14% and you know it) and lacks the overall mouthfeel of previous vintages. I want a little more fruit and acidity, I want a little more joy - it’s not a bad wine but there are better Fleurie’s on the list.

11 Likes

Fantastic menu @robertd
May I ask what’s the fishmonger you use?

1 Like

Many thanks, @Tom_R for the review. I’ve got six of these in the cabinet, and I’ve ordered another six of the 2020. I’m looking forward to trying these with a nice scallop dish! :yum:

12 Likes

Thanks, @Rafa! I use the fishmonger on Cambridge market - there from Wednesday to Saturday, and always a good selection.

1 Like

Jeremy
My experience of 2005 is that many of them are still closed and quite tannic. But your Morey st Denis clearly at its peak?
Also glad to hear all well with the tests. Must have been a welcome relief.

1 Like