01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Weekend-drinking-thread-2nd-5th April 2021

An old favourite that is a delight to drink. Fully integrated with plenty of fruit, freshness and decent finish. Going to enjoy this throughout the day with a salt cod dish
Happy Easter bank holiday !

31 Likes

We’re also off to an early start enjoying this delightful Sauvignon Semillon left over from last evenings zoom wine tasting with mackerel and a potato salad for lunch

Fabulous sunshine here just a bit cool …

The semillon and some oak really lifts the wine closer to some of its more expensive equivalents to the west…

17 Likes

is that Gruaud Larose’s second wine or a special one-off cuvée ?

It’s their second wine. Excellent QPR especially in a vintage like 2010

1 Like

I bet, Enjoy
I’ve not touched my 2010’s yet so maybe it’s time !

Easter celebrations off to a start with a cream tea. I claim no credit for the delicious treats, but I did choose the wine…

G D Vajra Moscato d’Asti a perfect afternoon cake tipple. Beautiful aromas of flowers, lychees and pear, a gentle spritz and just 5.5% alcohol. Delightful!

35 Likes

Was that from TWS?

Afraid not. Picked up in my local Systembolaget.

Curses on those pesky state-run alcohol monopolies for bringing such delicious bottles :wink:

12 Likes

Ah well. We’re (fingers, toes, arms legs crossed) going away to a cottage we’ve rented in a couple of weeks, and I’m looking to ‘theme’ some evenings there. A 5.5% Moscato would fit in perfectly for all-evening Italian drinking, given decent Piedmont reds usually hit 14.5%! :smiley:

3 Likes

I don’t know if you followed a similar thread on JR.com recently, but a question was asked about what went best with brandy snaps, fruit and cream, and most replies were Moscato d’Asti (which got my vote) of course, but the casting vote was in favour of a Tokaji Sazmorodni… just saying in case your choice doesn’t push all the intended buttons…

3 Likes

It worked for me :smiley:

Perfect as an accompaniment to scones, cream and jam :+1:

1 Like

Pizza night so likely start with a G&T Ginventory suggests a Fever Tree Mediterranean Tonic with this one, followed by this Southern French red after it has had a bit of air.

20 Likes

Superb. One of the best CCs I’ve tasted in a long time.

26 Likes

I was not sure about this wine. A blend of 70% chardonnay and 30% Auxerrois.
Slightly lacking in acidity and a rather flabby fruit lacking definition…But Chardonnay in Alsace is a bit of an intruder.

15 Likes

El Gran Amigo GR 2016 has been excellent over two nights as a palate cleanser. Great value as a 6 pack.

Going to the Basque country tonight with a Txakoli de Bizkaia. Very natural, lovely mouth feel, citrus fruits. Looks like a urine sample when decanted but tasting great. Lined up to partner Hake with tomato sauce with olives and capers with sun dried tomatoes and Greek
potatoes.

26 Likes

The good old days (Wednesday) were a time when I was happily wandering around outside with a glass of cold fizz. Today it is back to an AGA hugging , heart warming red. It was very enjoyable. Thanks to wansteadbirder for advising me to drink it now. The Liberal and I had a conversation about the complexities of ageing. We agreed that neither of us are at our very best but we are both still pretty good. That is not just me but also the wine talking.

35 Likes

First of a case (purchased a few years ago for a low price) which is clearly fully mature and maybe could have been better a few years back.

Classic old Rioja profile, strawberry fruit, notes of coconut and a mocha character and that yoghurty lactic acidity. Maybe the fruit has faded somewhat but it’s lovely in a lighter style.

35 Likes

Ditched the zind and moved onto this aromatic Malvasia from Borgo Del Tiglio in Fruili. Barrel fermented in 2-3 year old wood. Lovely complex intergrated green fruit. 2017 still has lots of freshness

17 Likes

A house white favourite here…

Simply pleasure in a glass.

19 Likes

Lots of seafood on the menu tonight - so a good one for all courses. Lumpfish ‘caviar’ on blinis with some creme fraiche and lemon zest to kick off, nice combo. Then some scallops with peas, and finally plaice fish and chips style.

Now I need a lie down before tackling dessert…

29 Likes