01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Weekend drinking thread [29th Nov - 1st Dec 2019]

We had friends over for a Sunday roast today, so started with a Crémant de Limoux from Waitrose to go with smoked salmon blinis; this particular Crémant is one we keep going back to. For the price, this ticks all the sparkling boxes- fresh, with pleasant apple and pear fruit, but also lovely biscuit-y note and a pleasant lively finish.

For the beef roast, we opened a 2014 ‘Cop de Ma’ Priorat (apparently this means ‘lend a hand’ in Catalan):

First time we tried this wine, and what a fabulous find! I came across it in Decanter article – and so happy that I did. It’s a blend of Garnacha, Cariñena and Syrah, and it’s dark, brooding and sensuous… smooth, despite very present tannins, as well as spicy and smoky. A definite re-buy. Our friends (who usually drink Rioja) absolutely loved it!

Finished the meal with a Tesco’s Finest 2015 Sauternes to go with home-made cheesecake, which actually worked better than I thought. If there’s one thing I learnt this evening it is - don’t start talking about politics when you’re all feeling comfortable and sated… ah well! :neutral_face: :clinking_glasses:

Still pale and youthful. Grass and stone fruit on the nose. Complex flavours all held together with a good acid spine. Long and slightly oily. Medium full bodied. Some heat at the finish. Delicious!
Q=3/4
V=2/3
X=3/3
QVX=8/10

I pot roasted a guinea fowl tonight, with bacon and mushrooms. Like @Inbar yesterday, we selected pinot gris to go with it - such a versatile wine for matching autumnal and winter flavours. Dirler-Cadé Schimberg pinot gris, 2015

Fairly restrained nose, and on the dry side. It has lots of biscuity complexity and spicy length to balance a tangerine and quince fruitiness, and finishes with a good, slightly tannic grip. Really food friendly.

Politics and alcohol. Always a dangerous combination. Hope you’re still talking…

Oh yes! We are :sweat_smile:
It’s a couple we prone to make this mistake with, especially after a few drinks, as you say. They offer the red rag, and we charge…! :water_buffalo:

Enjoyed this on Saturday and Sunday evening:

Very young, with a very intense palette full of fruit. Extremely enjoyable, and had mellowed a little by Sunday night…unsurprisingly plenty of life left in this one.

split this topic #47

A post was merged into an existing topic: Mid week Drinking thread [Dec 2nd-6th 2019]