01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Weekend drinking thread - 27-29th March 2020. What's keeping us going through lockdown?

Thought I’d kick us off… not sure how it’s tasting - only just opened and, from the nose, it needs some air time (some funky volatility going on).

Pairing with filet steak with a retro ‘Diane’ sauce.

What are we drinking this evening and over the weekend?

17 Likes

Sete Vales Douro DOP 2018 for us. It is Mrs CC’s birthday tomorrow so probably a bottle of bubbly tomorrow. Pol Roger perhaps from the Wine Society Christmas Offer.

3 Likes

Great value Grosse Gewachs Riesling, slightly reductive on the nose dry, rich and mineral. Some bottle age means a slight hint of development but by no means petrolly on the nose.

Nice with a bit of simple plaice.

11 Likes

Comfort drinking. Bags of fruit, soft tannins, sufficient alcohol for the required numbing action. Pretty much what’s needed, Barbera 2009 from Giacomo Conterno.

18 Likes

Back down to earth after the '94 Rioja last night…

We had this with calamari and then grilled sole

I thought it was rather good, and very good value. My wife very much enjoyed it too. Low price, lowish alcohol.

I see from the two reviews that it provoked a mixed reaction. I’m definitely in the positive camp. It is a dry white despite what one review says. Quite aromatic, definitely some nettle notes there. Not complex at all, but a hint of spring about it which we could all do with.

10 Likes

Comfort food tonight before winter returns tomorrow. Had this with beef lasagne accompanied by steamed broccoli. A bottle gifted to us about 3 years ago. The donor who was retiring from the wine trade came (with others) for lunch and presented us with this bottle which had been a gift to him and, about which, he knew nothing. So at first it tasted slightly sweet but as time passed since opening it opened all its sweet tannins and good acidity. My wife said (at first) she would just have one glass but soon shared the whole bottle in equal measures. It hails according to the back label from Treviso and discloses no vintage date.

7 Likes

Just going to copy my post from last year as I’m drinking the same wine again, last bottle, and it seems pretty much the same. I still like the name, the label, and the wine! No salmon quiche today, but haddock fishcakes instead. Probably not quite the same zing.

"Drinking El Gato Gordo Godello from Bierzo. Great name and nice wine. It was a WIGIG from Majestic a while ago and has been in my fridge long enough to grow quite a few crystals.

Floral, lemon peel, and peach/apricot stone aromas. Stone fruit, slight bitter lemon, mineral, very faint marmalade and a sprinkle of salt. Good with salmon quiche, strangely not so good with baby green peas. Goes down very easily leaving a slightly zingy feeling in my mouth."

8 Likes

Our fishmonger is working on reduced stock, but fortunately still going. I’ve been meaning to try cooking this for a while - we ate something like it at the set lunch at the slightly oddly decorated but great kitchen of La Table du Gourmet in Riquewihr. Given that it was a bit experimental, it worked remarkably well. Hake fillet, with a carrot and ginger broth, braised chicory and soured cream.

The wine was Marcel Deiss Rotenberg 2013, which is drinking superbly. Predominantly riesling, with some pinot gris, and all sorts of citrus fruits going on - candied peel, grapefruit, clementines, lemon zest - but also that pinot spiciness and grip. It’s quite full bodied, with residual sugar rounding the mouthfeel, but oh, so balanced. Yummy. Happy weekend inside, all!

18 Likes

Both looks and sounds wonderful. Some lovely restaurants there and innovative cooking amidst some local “rustic” cuisine.

1 Like

Pretending it’s summer over here :wink::snowflake::snowflake::snowflake:

14 Likes

And I should have added, some wonderful wines.

2 Likes

That goes without saying! There’s even a really good microbrewery in the village.

3 Likes

It’s a bit chillier here, but still sunny. At least until Sunday. Just a shame we can’t spend much time outside. We have been enjoying cycling as our government-approved exercise, though.

4 Likes

Picked up earlier this year at the society store as a bin end for a mere £12.50… happier times. Hunter Valley Semillon might be one of my favorite white wine styles, and this is a great example. Fresh, complex, very long and generally lovely. This would almost certainly still be great in 10 years.

15 Likes

Louis Roederer NV and Giacomo Fenocchio Barbera d’Alba 2016 last night. Both very good indeed, as was the negroni that preceded it.

3 Likes

Opened a white and a red for this weekend. By coincidence both Australian. Making butternut squash and bacon risotto with a glass (two actually) of the Viognier, but will have the Heartland wine to accompany it at lunch.

Heartland Langhorne Creek Dolcetto Lagrein 2014
Tahbilk Nagambie Lakes Viognier 2017

10 Likes

Not strictly one for this thread, but I had to smile at this comment on the website in the FAQ section below the temporary closure notice. It refers to a recently rediscovered WS Alsace 1996…

. although the elan of the gewurtztraminer was not quite so evident it made an extraordinarily congenial aperitif.

7 Likes

Sausages and mash with onion gravy here. With a couple of full bodied reds…

…the Chilean Cabernet 2012 from Gandolini was from an expired VCP and leftover from Thursday. Unfined and unfiltered and quite an ambitious wine if its cost (£23.50) is any indication. Powerful nose of ripe black fruits, cassis, spice and cedar leaves little doubt to the grape variety. Similar on tasting, sweetly ripe black fruits and spicy oak flavours had plenty of concentration, ripe tannins provided the grip and structure to balance and it finished with good length. One small gripe, it wasn’t as complex as I’d hoped.

Lack of complexity isn’t a criticism I’d level at the Rioja Reserva Selecion Especial 2004 though. Lovely medium ruby colour, now showing a slightly watery rim but no obvious signs of its age. Violets, plums, berries, spice and leather on the complex and constantly evolving nose. Almost explosive flavours when first tasted due to the lift given to it by its remarkably fresh acidity. Ripe black fruits, currants, plums and spicy vanilla flavours linger on the palate before mellowing on the grippy and slightly astringent finish. Despite its age there’s no hurry to drink.

Whatever you’re up to, take care and happy drinking.

12 Likes

Just finished our 20 minute Joe Wicks HIIT class :muscle::running_man::running_woman: and glad of a sit down. We will be finishing our 2006 Urbina Reserva Especial with a rib eye steak and home made oven chips tonight. Preceded by a goats cheese and beet root salad with a cheeky glass of Touraine Chenonceaux SB. Happy weekend folks!

13 Likes

Slightly hoppy pils, malt from Germany, hops from New Zealand, brewed in the UK. Delicious with a spicy nduja quesadilla.

7 Likes