01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Weekend drinking thread 25th - 27th November 2022

Dry tonight but I love reading this forum … I received a half case from TWS today three sparkling two Jaboulet and that fronton that was recently mentioned

15 Likes

I am looking forward to imbibing this old favourite over the weekend. Always a reliable treat.

EDIT - No idea why the photo is appearing like that. Oh well…

28 Likes

Dry weekend sadly. We’re ‘grandparenting’ and we never drink i/c young 'uns! :innocent:

6 Likes

Just when you need it most…

9 Likes

https://www.thewinesociety.com/product/fronton-les-petits-cailloux-domaine-le-roc-2019

Negrette is a new one for me (as far as I remember anyway) but it’s delicious.

12 Likes

To cheer the end of a poor working week: https://www.thewinesociety.com/product/blanquette-de-limoux-reserve-antech-2019 spirits swiftly lifted, green apple aplenty, gooseberry…growing fonder of this stuff with every bottle. 2019’s have very slight burnt rubber on palate but all is forgiven, wonder if was particularly hot vintage in Limoux.

12 Likes

2017 Meursault to accompany the England game. The wine is good.

30 Likes

An extremely satisfying start to the weekend here. With venison ragu, from the freezer (with some chopped chicken livers leftover from yesterday), pappardelle and parmesan…

…a Langhe Nebbiolo 2018 from Produttori del Barbaresco.

A beautiful translucent ruby colour. A fragrant and expressive nose with notes of fresh flowers, red cherries, hard herbs and juniper berries. Similar on tasting, sourly ripe red cherry and berry fruits, bay and thyme, with a savoury, tarry, quality that gives it complexity and depth of flavour. Bright acidity and firm, but ripe, tannins provide lovely structure and balance to the medium bodied fruit. Texture, weight and intensity of flavour are reminiscent of a good quality ‘villages’ Burgundy. Needless to say, it’s going down a treat.

Have a good weekend everyone.

30 Likes

Grandma’s with us this weekend, and risky though this is, I’ve taken the liberty of secretly opening a bottle of F-r-e-n-c-h SB for us this evening; a 2020 Domaine des Echardières Touraine Chenonceaux ‘La Long Bec’.

Grandma however is a resolute Kiwi-only SB and stoutly resistant to any “French rubbish”.

Don’t tell anyone, least of all grandma herself; but she’s actually rather enjoying it. As too am I - really lovely long rich fruit, and some nice dry minerality to wrap it up. No feline wee aromas at all.

Should grandma find out my nefarious deceit though, I’m likely to get a good battering :~}

27 Likes

Opened this bottle last night and finishing it tonight. Can’t remember anyone in these threads posting about it previously. Full disclosure, I bought this from Waitrose on a 25% off 6 deal in the spring.

Really very good and the TWS price is cheaper than the discounted Waitrose price!

The blend is great. Thoroughly enjoyable.

24 Likes

Nice. I find a couple of years on it too can really bring it out of its shell too.

Had a 2017 from the majestic mystery cases recently which was great. Way above expectations

3 Likes

Finally, hello (again) from Buenos Aires. Last night of the trip, which has been wonderful, so I am treating myself to a very nice bottle of wine to fortify myself for the 24 hour trip home (which will doubtless not be very wonderful).

A blend of Sauvignon Blanc and Semillon from Valle Pedernal in San Juan, grown at vineyards c. 1250m, before aging in oak for 12 months. I have to say, this is one of my favourite wines of the trip. Rich and ripe and full bodied in a Rhone way (with just a hint of potential sherry developing), it is very unctuous. I recently had a bottle Chateau Bouscaut Blanc 2014, and while this is certainly a riper style, it is very much competing with it.

Cheers everyone - I’ll soon be rejoining you in the cold. Might actually be a bit of a relief.

20 Likes

Not even watching the bore draw between England and USA can dent my enjoyment of this Savage Wines Red Blend 2015.

Bright and vibrant with refreshing acidity. Won’t be rushing to drink my other 2 bottles but this is really hitting the spot tonight.

24 Likes

@crocos - we enjoyed the same producer’s Cabernet Franc/Malbec blend in the summer, which was all about the fruit, too.

This evening I cooked halibut fillet, mussels in a cream sauce, and seared Little Gem. We drank Léon Beyer, Riesling Les Écaillers, 2012.

In its prime, and the essence of dry riesling - citrus zest, mineral, maybe even an edge of apricot and dried fruit, a touch of petrol, and great length. It gives the impression of maybe having a touch of residual sugar without actually having it - excellent tension between the acidity and fruit.

Hope everyone has a good weekend!

23 Likes

4 Likes

The most exciting thing about my evening tonight (watched the football) was this rioja.

Very smooth. Definitely not your typical Rioja. Garnacha dominant made it different, lots of blueberry on the pallet.

Despite my love for Rioja I’ve not really explored the Orientale area, so a very small frame of reference but I enjoyed it. Not sure I’d rush back to buy another bottle at £16 but definitely worth trying. Intrigued to drink more from Orientale now.

16 Likes

Porseleinberg 2017

Continuing the South African theme here tonight too. Owned by the same Boekenhoutskloof (Chocolate Block) winery.

Testing the waters before it becomes out of stock.

The 2018 is a 100 pointer from Tim Atkin and still available from TWS for £59.

Vivino via Highbury Vintners does have the 2019 at £46 vs the current £59 from TWS

This 2017 is drinking really well but I think has more to give. As with the Boekenhoutskloof it’s an elegant wine. Brilliant nose, peppery spices. Great fruit/acidity structure for ageing.

Have a good weekend all!

24 Likes

:joy::joy:

Maybe not.

2 Likes

Staying in the Rhone with this tonight

Château Pesquie Quintessence 2017

Cote Ventoux. A blend of Syrah and Grenache blend with 12 months in oak.

Powerful and delicious, but not yet fully integrated in my opinion. Still very tannic.

We have another bottle in a mixed case in Stevenage and it’ll stay there for a while, based on this showing.

Happy weekend all.

22 Likes

The Society’s Sicilian Reserve Red 2017 opened last night and will be finished off tonight. A lovely smooth easy drinking red offering real quality at a decent price. Black fruits along with something a little more savoury that I struggle to put into words. Anyway it is a style of wine we enjoy.

14 Likes