01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Weekend Drinking Thread (25th - 27th June)

Excellent!

1 Like

Epic day in the garden with friends, fish pie and burgundy as mentioned on another thread, turned into a long afternoon with some great bordeaux (and an SA syrah/cab sav blend) and cheese. The St Aubin really was lovely, I had been worried it was too young, but it was spot on. The Latour Pauillac was the pick of the reds, again I thought it might be young, but it was drinking beautifully.

‘Lunch’ guests eventually left around 9pm, leaving us to enjoy a thrilling end to Italy v Austria.

Jim

17 Likes

This lovely wine was finished off yesterday, so it sort of hits the weekend thread…

It is delicious! I think that really good quality Riesling is a wine to be savoured. In this aged example, it has that Pinot Gris style of being dry, but full, although still with a racy streak of acidity to keep things fresh. Every glass was a perfect mouthful of complex, savoury fruitiness backed by a saline twang.

On the nose, there’s hints of lemon rind, with lime notes as the wine warms slightly. As well as preserved lemon and ripe nectarine flavours, there’s subtle lanolin and a definite saline edge at the end. It has medium acidity, a smooth, balanced taste that’s all about ripe, rich fruit, cut with citrus notes, ending quite long. A very enjoyable wine indeed and although expensive, I feel it was a good buy as a special wine to open with appreciative friends.

EDITED 27.6: A fundamental error was made as I originally described this as a Gruner Veltliner - obviously it’s not and thanks to @szaki1974 for the nudge. Loved it and aiming to buy more, it was that Good.

15 Likes

You might want to check the label again… :wink:

9 Likes

Today, I will knowingly and deliberately break the law.

Yes, @peterm we are having lamb for lunch and I will be opening

which has been looking pleadingly at me from the wine fridge since all the fuss on release.

Yesterday we had some Furleigh Estate white PN, which was terrific, though hard(for me) to describe. Initially full of fruit, with balancing acidity and finishing dry and refreshing.

14 Likes

This weekends photograph warrants a little explanation.

Meeting some friends, and needed to take a bottle. Spent a disproportionate amount of time weighing up between these two, both from 2015. Both bought in sixes EP from TWS at £85 (Warwick) and £88 (Baron).

I decided on the Warwick. By coincidence, and to my delight, a friend brought a bottle of the 2010 baron de brane.

The Baron was tasted first, to rave reviews all round, rich, full bodied and with classic Bordeaux flavours. A delightful Bordeaux, five years older than mine, and lots of life ahead of it.

Then we tried the Warwick. To my palette it was richer, more evident fruit, fuller bodied, and overall, my preferred wine. There is a generous amount of Cabernet franc in the blend, which I suspect contributes a lot to the wine.

There was no science at all to pouring and drinking the wines, but I noticed the Warwick was disappearing from the decanter quicker as the three of us helped ourselves.

Great to taste them alongside each other, and a reminder, in Bordeaux season, that there are some great alternative Bordeaux blends from South Africa

26 Likes

Finally dug out the maximum yields for Beaujolais (I think)
Beaujolais AOC is Max 60hl/ha
Village and Cru is 58.
INAO website seems to show Cru wins at 56 hl/ha other sites suggest 48. My French OK but not very technical.
I suspect top Beaujolais growers yields are somewhat lower than the maximums. But they will vary.

3 Likes

Thanks! Don’t know what came over me - it’s still jolly good though.

5 Likes

Andrew, I’d be interested to hear more of your musings on Beaujolais some time. It sometimes appears as a low price alternative to Burgundy, though I agree that it can be more Rhonish - and especially the longer-lived crus. Is it a better food match than lower-tier Burgundy, I sometimes wonder (I mean Bourgogne) for certain dishes, perhaps.

Re the 2012 Burgundy someone else mentions above, based on what’s said here and a friend’s recent experience, I wonder if 2012’s are closed at the moment.

Lastly, that sole posted above looks absolutely sensational! Bravo!

3 Likes

We held a BBQ for our wine group last night. The afternoon was spent preparing the food, the dark clouds rolled past at 6.30 without dropping any rain, and it turned into a perfect evening. Not too many food pics, as I was busy concentrating on the cooking.

And these were the wines…

This seemed to be a year for full-bodied Italians, and Bordeaux (some originating in TWS Mystery Cases). While my tasting was somewhat distracted by cooking, my pick of the clarets was the Pey La Tour 2017, which had a good balance of dark fruit and liquorice-y, chocolate-y savoury notes. Of the Italians, I favoured the Papale Primitivo (which is a repeat from a couple of weeks ago), though my memory of those is a bit sketchy. The Chamuyo was a pretty straightforward Argentine malbec, well suited to the food. And it was our first experience of the Society’s Saumur Rosé, which made an excellent aperitif - quite a gentle fizz, and easy-drinking strawberries and ripe apples on the palate.

For the main event, we offered Kanonkop Estate Pinotage, 2015.

When I tried this a couple of years ago, I rated it as only the second pinotage I’d ever liked, and it’s even better now - concentrated, balanced between sweet fruit and acidity, and superb with the grilled meats. Everyone else in the group is also pinotage-sceptic, so I wrapped the bottle to gauge their reaction - no-one guessed it, everyone loved it :slight_smile:

We also brought the Dirler-Cadé Gewurztraminer Grand Cru Spiegel 2012 to drink with strawberries. A full-on nose of lychees and tropical fruit, but on the palate it wears its 70g/l of residual sugar incredibly lightly. Really clean and not at all cloying; fresh summer fruit was the perfect partner.

Happy Sunday!

27 Likes

1995 Cantermerle. Just opened and decanted for lunch. Immediate lovely claret smell, actually less impressive in the glass, some browning and maybe a bit short. Might be a bit old, the 9th of 12. Hopefully will open up a bit in the next hour. At the moment good and definitely ready in fact drink up. An hour later, fruit has improved. Decent claret, not profound but probably less than £100 a case when cases were always twelve. Good, drink up.

21 Likes

@GuidoD As it happens I am looking at buying some cru Beaujolais so will report back over next few weeks on purchases and results!

1 Like

I drink quite a bit of Langhe and I was looking forward to try this as it is at the lower price range for this denominazione.
I couldn’t get any aromas for the first 2h. After that I got a nice red fruit nose and some eau de parfum which is unusual but still pleasant.
At this moment I don’t feel this wine represents an introduction to the region. I would never guess this is nebbiolo and also it seems a tad closed.
The whole point of langhe for me is to drink young while I wait for the Barolos and Barbarescos.
Decent wine and good colour and I can see why many like it but for me it does not match what I know as Langhe.

18 Likes

:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

Thanks for this, I have a case sitting in the garage that I’ve not broached yet so as soon as Mr. Leah gets back I’ll open 1 :wink:.

2 Likes

Thought you might like that, Peter! :smiley: It was a lovely wine, and certainly challenged some opinions.

1 Like

Bottle of NV Boizel on Saturday night. Thought this was lovely. 1 of 6 purchased last Autumn and I hope the others continue to develop in the bottle. The colour was quite dark with very fine bubbles. Creamy biscuit and lemon.

Sunday is Gigondas day.

2015 vintage and in a great place. The fruit aroma on first opening filled the room. Herb, French country side and black current. Long finish of menthol, liquorice, fruit with chewy tannins. Delicious.

18 Likes

Always interesting that Gillman says to age them 10+ years!

I had Kanonkop’s 2015 Exhibition (Kadette) Pinotage yesterday. It was lovely.

I’ve got 4 left of Kanonkop’s 2015 Estate, and 2 each of the 2015 Exhibition and Kadette Pinotages.

I hate to drink the last one of a vintage, but then I’ve drunk more wines long past their best than wines that you too young. And there’s a new vintage every year - tho’ whether TWS will stock them is a different matter…

6 Likes

A couple of days on the wagon and now it’s Sunday late lunch, beef and onion stew, garden broad beans - first pick of the season, and some roast spuds from last season still hanging in there.

So, with some trepidation I decided to embark on my 2010’s - after all I’m not going to live for ever - and before the CC’s, I’ve opened this.

No need to worry - it was absolutely lovely - much better than the 2009. Soft tannins only, but the reward is a tsumami of cassis, plums, black cherry and pencil shavings. I can’t imagine this improving.

JR gave it 16.5 (window 2018 - 28) . I would add another 1 point.

27 Likes