01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Weekend Drinking Thread (25th - 27th June)

Just a bottle of 2016 Gigondas from Paul Jaboulet Wine for us last night with a very garlic roast chicken. Super, and we watched The Producers by Mel Brooks!

13 Likes

I had one if those a while back. ISTR not cheap but has a nice bit of interest for something that could also be easily knocked back with abandon.

1 Like

Opening a bottle of GV this weekend, mainly for tomorrow’s wild sea bass but a glass each this evening with smoked salmon

We have the 2019 edition.

Then with St Delia’s pork stroganoff with three mustards a bottle of

Cheers everyone!

19 Likes

Most non cru non Beaujolais is made by carbonic maceration. I learned about the process in WSET Level 3 and then in more detail in WSET Diploma.
The D3 module in diploma is a study of still wines of the world, Beaujolais is covered albeit briefly. You learn what vinification processes are used, yield limits and AC rules. I think Beaujolais cru is either 58 or 60 hl/ha and village is around 62.

3 Likes

Bottle of this (4th of 6) opened and decanted in front of Wales v Denmark. Previous bottle took a very long time to come round (8hrs or so) but hoping the 3 years of additional age will have made some difference.

We’ll see when it comes to dinner…

Edit: Poured myself a taster and after 90mins this is good to go.

It has taken on a distinct ​brick shade and the searing acidity and wall of tannin encountered on opening previous bottles (c. 2018) has now mellowed. Plenty of oak on the nose but also a load of black fruit, and some lovely mature, earthy, leathery touches. Yum. Looking forward to this with some duck breasts.

Feel slightly bad for Wales, after a bright start they faded badly, and Denmark took them to pieces. Maybe giving one team 5k+ miles of travel (vs 300 odd fo the other) isn’t entirely fair?

12 Likes

Sounds lush!!
Belated Birthday Wishes to your better half!! :birthday: :champagne: :fireworks: :dragon:

1 Like

Another weekend!

Friday
Lightly dusted plaice fillet, new potatoes, peas and mixed salad accompanied by Mrs M’s favourite-
20200904_weekend-wines-fri-front
2020 Villa Maria Sauvignon Blanc Private Bin (New Zealand, Marlborough)

Saturday - usual chicken, new potatoes and spicy home-made baked beans with

2015 Kanonkop Pinotage The Society’s Exhibition (South Africa, Stellenbosch)

Sunday aperitif will be
20200821_Weekend-wines-Sun-1

N.V. Pongrácz Methode Cap Classique Cuvée Brut (South Africa, Western Cape)

The mint in the garden is looking good, so we’re having roast leg of lamb to match with home-made mint sauce.

I’m growing two varieties of mint, Moroccan and English Lamb (above). With the lamb will be roast parsnip and pots (obs - as the youngster say) and steamed pointed cabbage, broccoli spears and cauliflower florets…

As per the law we will be having a claret with our lamb, and I thought it fun, since the Kanonkop is 2015 to have a 2015 claret; this will be the first broached of 12 bought E.P.

2015 Château Tour St Bonnet (France, Bordeaux, Médoc)

The 2014 is drinking beautifully now, so I have high hopes of this

(Villa Maria from Sainsbury, Pongracz from Amazon, Kanonkop & Ch St Bonnet from TWS)

Is that another face-masked week coming this way fast?

19 Likes

Tonight’s red with fillet steak, first burgundy in while and first taste a little underwhelming. Giving it a 30 min decant in hope it’ll open up for when I eat.

14 Likes

Cornish Pastis tonight (not pasties)

More herby and floral than your typical French version. Very good.

Then this with a Spanish bean stew (with a splash of fino):

Really enjoy the Vinkara range of Turkish wine. Robust and characterful - great with any rich tomato based stews or perhaps a kofta?

18 Likes

Lunch at Sharpham Vinyard in Devon today. Great food and I tried a glass of skin contact Pinot Gris (pink grapefruit, lemon, then easing into a sweeter finish - enjoyed it) followed by a glass of their ‘Whole Berry Rose” which was a strawberries and cream wine.

Mrs A had some pink sparkles followed by the same Rose (having tried mine) but the third member of our trio struggled to choose.

Departed with a few bottles, naturally :yum:

32 Likes

Epic face
He’s really thinking long and hard what to pick :blush:

5 Likes

Very good, light with some complexity. The first Pinotage I’ve ever found drinkable.

23 Likes

This here yesterday with farmed halibut, polenta chips and salad…

…with thanks to @Tom_R, albeit some time ago, for helping press the buy button. 70% garganega, 30% trebbiano di Soave from a steep basalt soil vineyard. Fragrantly floral nose with peach and apricot fruit, a twist of citrus zest and green herbs. Ripe yellow peach, lime and tangerine zest fruit cut by fresh acidity on tasting. Rich and rounded flavours initially before plenty of refreshing saline minerality kicks in on the finish. A fabulous wine and a timely reminder as to its quality, for my money it’s the benchmark wine for its DOC.

These today ( and tomorrow too I hasten to add )…

…the Clos Floridene Blanc 2014 ( 55% sauvignon blanc, 45% semillon ) was paired with a goat’s cheese and black pudding salad ( with thanks to @EdMcK IIRC for that ). I’ve had little experience of Bordeaux Blanc previously but on this evidence that’s a big mistake. Gooseberry. zesty citrus. floral notes and something like scented wax on the nose. Different notes. for once for me, on tasting. Firm grapefruit and apricot fruit, citrus peel, a touch of spice and a creamy oatmeal note, likely lees derived, on tasting. Lovely purity of flavour, no obvious oak notes and a refreshing lip smacking finish. Delicious !

The Barolo Bussia 2011 from Silvano Bolmida was enjoyed with pork ragu, short pasta and an unhealthy amount of parmesan. Medium ruby in colour with a touch of orange on the watery rim. The nose is amazing, if Armani made pot pourri it would probably smell like this. Exotic nose of fresh and dried flowers, not sure about roses though. savoury red fruits, clove and cinnamon spice, polished leather and an autumnal woodland note. Fresh red fruited flavours on the attack that rapidly expand in intensity as they soak into the taste buds on tasting. Ripe red cherry and raspberry fruit, hard herbs, a savoury meaty note and plenty of leafy sous bois complexity. Ripe, but still slightly drying, tannins provide grip and structure and refreshing acidity plenty of cut before the flavours soften on the plush finish. IIRC it was just over £20, if so, that’s incredible VFM for an aged Barolo of this quality.

Happy drinking everyone and have a great time over what’s left of the weekend.

30 Likes

@Embee really pleased you enjoyed it. I think it’s fabulous.

1 Like

A 2016 Château Sénéjac was a wonderful match to confit duck, roast spuds and salad this evening:

First bottle of three, this is supposedly just entering its drinking window, but is a gorgeous wine already! In fact, a bit like the first Steely Dan album, it felt fully formed and well-honed, and as far as my palate is concerned - this is what a bottle of Bordeaux should taste like.

Still looking young in the glass, the nose offered notes of plums, mulberries and bramble, mixed with a whiff of cigar box, violets, a bit of tobacco and a good kick of spice (clove, pepper). Medium bodied on the palate, it balanced crunchy – but ripe – fruit (bramble, dark cherries, plums, cassis) with a more medicinal, clove-like note, cedar and just a touch of vanilla.

The tannins felt surprisingly integrated for its age and texturally very smooth and velvety. Finish was medium + (if not long), ending on lovely red fruit note with a nice dose of spice.

There is no doubt this will age beautifully but was already approachable, not to say exquisite, from start to finish. I shall leave the other two bottles, however, to see what this lovely wine turns into given more time.

Happy weekend, all! :clinking_glasses: :grinning:

34 Likes

Couple of first time wines for us tonight. The guv’nor is a Majestic offering and like it’s red sister comes from Valdepenas, Spain. The basic Bordeaux came from M&S - I was intrigued that this was being offered at £4 a bottle.

Light yellow gold with green hue. Medium plus nose. Lemon, lime. Herbaceous. Black currant leaf. Grass. Medium plus palate. Fresh acidity. Lemon and pink grapefruit. Hint of gooseberry. Medium finish. Pleasant wine for sipping on a warm summer evening.

Mid red centre. Purple rim. Medium nose. Classic claret, Merlot/Cabernet Franc based wine aroma. Plum, blackberry, black currant. Hints of cedar. Herbaceous notes. Medium minus palate. Soft tannins. Fresh acidity. Dry. Plum. Strawberry. Short finish. Pleasant, simple claret at very reasonable price.

18 Likes

You and me both and thanks again for your comments back in the day. It was OOS online after you posted about it but I was in The Showroom, only a few days later, and they had one bottle left. At the time, and I remember it clearly, it felt like destiny when I saw it :grinning:

4 Likes

It certainly should open up. It is a very good wine. I hope you enjoy it.

Feeling sorry for Wales, not at their best today. Now watching Italy Austria and slightly hoping for a shock result!

Trying a Duo des Plages Rosé with a mozzarella and tomato pizza (Oetker’s not mine). Very good value - both the pizza and the wine. Extremely pale pink colour, well chilled so just a faint hint of pear-drop and perhaps Angelica on the nose. The second half has just started, so refreshing and easy drinking, and that’s all for now!

11 Likes

Yes it certainly has opened up now, great value for money and a lovely mix of primary secondary and tertiary flavours, drinking nicely now.

1 Like