01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Weekend drinking thread [25-27 September 2020]

This to start the weekend. Bought a year ago as part of the infamous 5* Platter case. This is great now and no doubt will go on for a good few years longer. Cheers.

Just checked, still available.

17 Likes

Dare I ask why infamous? If there’s an existing thread then just point me there!

This thread:

I transferred the case to L&W (I know, a mortal sin in itself in the eyes of some in here), had it itemised. So happy days for me.

8 Likes

2017: James Suckling: 96/100

Restaurantwine (Ronn Wiegand): 5/5 stars - “An exceptional dry Muskateller from the Burgengarten vineyard. It is fragrant, medium full bodied, and crisp, with intense rose petal, litchi nut, lime, tangerine, pineapple, and lemon grass aromas/flavors, good balance, and a long, crisp finish. Will develop with modest aging.”

So high hopes for this. M-C have yet to let me down.

Update:
Really concentrated and complex, as good as any Alsace example I’ve had.
Weigand’s tasting notes spot on.

17 Likes

This tonight with steak frites

23 Likes

Weinert Cabernet Sauvignon 2008. Having opened this last night for the “virtual tasting”, I have resumed drinking it tonight. Talk about a wow-factor! Such a rich, complex, full-bodied wine. It gets better by the glass - or is this because it’s weekend and I can drink the wine without guilt? I have always been a fan of Weinert wines but this, IMO, is the best I have tasted.

23 Likes

Came home from work to discover child number 2 was just finishing up a play date. The ‘date’s’ mum had brought round cava AND crisps (she knew the extraction would be a lengthy process). Even better, the mummies hadn’t managed to glug it before I got home, result!

This boy can definitely come again.

28 Likes

I went with my last bottle of this tonight:

(It’s the Castel Serranova IGT Salento Vallone 2015, can’t work out how to post the link as a picture. So much for being a millennial :roll_eyes: - thanks to @szaki1974 for the edit)

Can’t remember who first recommended it from the community, but thanks to whoever it was, I’ve really enjoyed this throughout the summer. Had with a very rare takeaway four cheese pizza (it was my first day back at work in a fortnight to be fair) with allioli for dipping the crusts (don’t judge me until you’ve tried it) and watching Big Night on Netflix.

17 Likes

Wowzer.

Simply gorgeous. All the slightly wild somewhat feral notes that have detracted from the previous bottles of this have now subsided (though still hinted at).

Great poise and balance. Lightness here but length too. Violets, slight smoky sweetness, soft tannins, happy days.

19 Likes

We had a bottle of chateau trillol tonight, bought a couple on the basis of the very positive reviews. It is almost indescribably good for £6.95.

10 Likes

Seen it for £10.99 elsewhere, which is the sort of price I’d have guessed on tasting - real bargain!

I just bought another 24 of the back of that bottle. Unusual to find something quite so good for that price!

2 Likes

The autumnal weather prompted thoughts of red wine, but it’s still fishy Friday :thinking: So to combine the two, red mullet with aubergine purée, courgette and potato gratin with sourdough crumbs, parsley purée and a red wine sauce made with the fish bones (and the livers at the end, which transformed it, @markc)

Mediterranean fish - mediterranean wine. Some Thymiopoulos Jeunes Vignes Xinomavro 2018 arrived yesterday, and proved to be just the thing.

Lightly chilled, it set off the gamey fish and sauce perfectly. Light, good acidity, lots of bright redcurrant and raspberry fruit, and a little undertow of thyme too, with an ever so slight bitterness on the finish. A wonderful, simple, happy, food wine. Good weekend, all!

27 Likes

Oregon Riesling tonight from local wine shop.

Light straw colour. Slightly subdued nose I thought but some fresh floral notes and a whiff of lime cordial. Crisp and clean with a lovely saltiness on the palate I think I would personally associate more with an Albariño.
Not a grape/region combo I have any real experience of so no idea if this is typical? Very nice though.

16 Likes

Our last night on Madeira. We enjoyed a Duas Quintas.

A blend of Viosinho, Rabigato and Arinto. Dry, stone on the nose with hints of lemon. More tropical on tasting but still dry and mineral on the palate. Great with the seafood meal we enjoyed. Lots of other intriguing wines we didn’t have time to enjoy. TWS Community trip anyone?

18 Likes

Love wines from Oregon. Sounds lovely.

1 Like

What vintage? Umming about broaching my 2010s this winter.

Really interested to hear how that’s going, I’ve got 3 bottles of the 2013 which I assumed would need a few more years to calm down.

Right onto the wishlist!!

2 Likes

Credit where it’s due, @robertd I’m not worthy.

Herb crusted pork tenderloin on saffron risotto.
Alain Voge Saint Péray Ongrie 2016
Bought EP, bottle 2/6.

Maybe should have been a bottle or two more in by now, this is drinking so well at the moment. Lemon oil and lanolin, with length and grip.

22 Likes