01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Weekend Drinking Thread [24th-27th May 2019]

weekend

Late celebration for my brothers 50th:

Hoping to try something Cypriot tomorrow…

Waited for the 10 o’clock firework display at our fete next door before pouring this, so it had a good three hours decanting…

IMG_1249-58-Edit-Edit

not easy to photograph fireworks, especially when you have already had a drink !

Capture%20atrg

I like good Malbec, this was the third bottle of this I have consumed, not all tonight ! Deep purple colour rim still quite dark, toffee chocolate on the nose, very smooth plummy full bodied concentrated but still evidence of tannins, medium finish and still to much acidity for me.
Not carried away with this and the earlier bottles ditto, a very decent drink but is it worth the price, only the consumer can say, I have had better from Catena for less, but still enjoyed it with those caveats.

Back from tasting at Ernest Burn today. A bit of a favourite for us.

Hugely enjoyable, and the whole range is pretty exceptional. It’s a fuller style from riper fruit, and Francis Burn manages to express an amazing level of complexity - even the sweetest wines are completely balanced, and the cellar door prices are really very keen for the quality level.

Highlights all the way through, but topped and tailed by an excellent every day sylvaner - apples, pears, and bitter almonds giving characteristic bite to the finish - and a 2006 Sélection de Grains Nobles gewurztraminer - almost pinot noir in colour, and layer upon layer of dried fruits, caramelised nuts, apricots and even cassis. In between there was a lovely muscat “Les Tulipes” from young vines on the Grand Cru Goldert - floral and airy, and like walking through a summer meadow. Hopefully the weather picks up, and we can enjoy it in its natural habitat of the garden.

As I was working Bank Holiday Monday this weekend was just a normal one for us. We still though had plenty of time to bring out the barbecue, but this time for a spatchcock chicken. This was paired with a Quara Estate Torrontes 2017 from Connolly’s Wine, Birmingham.

In the glass this wine is light straw in colour with green tinge around the edges and good legs.

On the nose are primary flavours of lime, lychee, papaya, peach, rose, bluebell, grass and tarragon. Secondary mineral tones give way to a tertiary buttery note.

On tasting this wine has good mouthfeel, a good body, an acidic nature giving way to sweetness before a lasting flowery fruit flavour.

Overall this is a very good wine for its price point (under £11 - pretty good for my current spend!). The floral flavour plays off against the smoky nature of the chicken. Certainly decanting helped this wine and once again not serving a white wine too cold has opened up a host of flavours and joy.

After a long walk in the stunning Sussex Downs, a nice Rosé aperitif was on my mind, so had a glass of this lovely Rosé D’Anjou. Delicious, light and floral it is too! :+1:

We’re making pot-roasted pheasant with calvados and cider this evening, as a little Bank Holiday treat- so decided to open this 2016 Oregon Chardonnay:

What a wine! A great alternative to a white Burgundy- all elegance, and complexity. The nose was a medley of orange, lemons, peach and blossom, with restrained vanilla and coconut notes as well as tropical fruit (mango, pineapple) in the background. There was butter there too, and saffron-like warmth.

The palate continues on the theme of citrus and tropical fruit, and the bright acidity provides the backbone for this fine assembly of flavours. All well-balanced, without any excesses. Absolutely beautiful and worth every penny!

Happy Bank Holiday, one and all! :clinking_glasses::sun_with_face:

In Devon for a special weekend so drinking, have drunk, these.

CH was a pure heavenly easily drunk beauty. The Cullen giving all-comers a run for their money, weighty and complex.

The V behaving itself beneath a sodden cork.

When in Rome as they say… in reality 90% of wine on the shelves of shops here is Sardinian, and the remainder generic Chianti etc, so best go local. This is my first 100% Carignan wine and it would probably benefit from a decant. It isn’t bad, if I tasted it blind I would call it as a high Mourvèdre content Grenache blend, probably Languedoc in origin, it is deeply savoury with a green note and almost chewy tannins overlaying black fruit flavours - not much subtlety here, and this bottle is a 2013. Earlier we tried an Argiolas Vermentino di Gallura and were surprised by a strongly saline note which limited its appeal - potentially just an unlucky selection.