01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Weekend Drinking Thread [24th-27th May 2019]

weekend

Tonight it was this

and this

with bobotie and gnocchi with squash and spinach…and the family home for the weekend…

Both hit the mark! Impressed with the entry level Perrin white again, and the Vacqueyras is drinking beautifully now. Can’t do better than the WS note on it, maybe not the liquorice, which suits me, but it had a lovely savoury, slightly bitter note to it which is maybe close to that. The white stood up really well to the bobotie.

Some Lidl Portal Do Minho Alvarinho e Trajadura 2018 Vinho Verde for £6.99. Nice spritzy simple style VV, but with very good citrus fruit and some length. Surprisingly good for the money.

Was reasonably rare, sauce is dark. First time I had cooked a loin 5mins in a hot pan then 9mins in oven at 180 rested for 10. Where did I go wrong? It was still delicious.

This one is over my head.

Trying to get my hands on some of that.

Ah maybe the sauce was over the rare bits. Timings sound about right. I’m sure it was!

Second one was about your typo for ‘learning’!

The Vacqueyras was fantastic. Well, is actually, as there is still 1/3 of a bottle left plus another 6 in the cabinet. Very different from the 2012 and 2014.

I must have some Vacqueyras again sometime. for the last twelve months or so I’ve been focused on exploring new areas in Rhone and have sadly neglected my old favourites of Vacqueyras and St Joseph.

Finishing the Heimann Kadarka that I Coravinned for the online tasting the other week… nice and light, found it a bit too sweet first, but a slight chill has put things back in order. Perfect for this heat, still available.

Bottle of this, not much to it, smell bit off putting, but pleasant enough to drink with a burger, not just any Burger but a …

11c and raining here…grrr!

Greetings from a very wet and not too warm Sardinia. Given the weather the Vermentino has stayed in the fridge and I’ve opened this:

Potent, black fruit, plums, herbs and spices. Quite savoury, balanced tannins and good length. No idea whether this cantina exports but this is good stuff with serious intent (diam cork included), would pass for decent Priorat or eastern hill cru southern Rhône. 14 euros.

It was The Boy’s birthday party today, in Soft Play Hell, but it was fine because we decamped back to ours with the cousins and what have you for a BBQ, which also meant two of these bad boys…

…plus two of these for topping up glasses:

Everyone left a few hours ago; now we’re just winding down with crisps and telly :+1:

Love this wine, it’s my new favourite cheap and cheerful weekday glugger. And the 2017 is 50p cheaper at the moment!

Arrived in Alsace with most of our wine group for a slightly belated week of properly celebrating Mrs Robertd’s 50th birthday (children may be gone, but Mrs Robertd working as a teacher still ties us to school holidays…) . Looking forward to a week of food, wine, and general fun (and not weighing ourselves)

Kicked off with choucroute, and various wines headed by Dirler-Cadé’s Riesling 2016

I’ve said it before, but I think that Dirler-Cadé make the best classique riesling in Alsace, and the 2016 has done nothing to change that opinion. So mineral and intense, both on the nose and on the palate. Great balance between lemon, lime and citrus goodness, a dry and stony backbone, and really good length. Definitely worth a try if you get the chance, and TWS does stock it from time to time.

Vodka martini to start followed by Puligny Montrachet. Had this with breaded Lemon Sole

image|375x500
Bought in M&S Sale few months ago. Lemon, blossom, good balance. Excellent value in the sale, but wouldn’t pay £ 50 for it!

First bottle of 2015 claret opened last night…

Very dense in colour and mouth feel as would be expected. Verging towards New World in style, with loads of fruit, but then mouth coating tannins, in a good way. Really needs food as might be expected. Hit the mark with grilled lamb chops and spinach. Will get better for a bit I think as these tannins become more integrated and the wine becomes bit smoother.

Trenzado, Suertes del Marques, Valle de la Orotava, Tenerife 2017.

Interesting use of the palomino grape, here called Listan Blanco. From Vin Cognito.

The Giro D’Italia was in Piedmont earlier this weekend which was an ideal excuse to crack open something local !

The 2012 Freisa from Vajra was rich, dense, chewy and delicious. And as serious and ageworthy as many a Barolo.

The Freisa D’Asti will be broached later as a comparison. Hopefully it will be as good, or better, than the impressive 2012 tried last year.

The Bulgarian wine offers an amazing amount of flavour and complexity for £8.25. Characterful and food friendly, its weight, balance, texture brought to mind another wine TWS list, namely, Guillemot-Michel’s wonderful Vire-Clesse Quintaine. That’s £21 however.

Have a lovely long weekend everyone.

Somehow I always seem to return to Pinot Noir… this time from SA, last but one of a mixed case.

Delicious straight from opening. Wonderful ripe PN nose. Not just straight fruit, but also forest floor, mushrooms. Would not keep much longer.

I am sure I will find my way back to Burgundy this bank holiday weekend.

Nasi Goreng tonight, thinking a Riesling will be suitable. Anyone have any other suggestion? @MarkC I will try and keep the rice nice and rare :rofl:

On the Riesling front I have:-

Kreuznacher Krötenpfuhl Riesling Kabinett, Dönnhoff 2015
Riesling Trocken, Künstler 2017
Framingham Marlborough Classic Riesling 2017

Nasi Goreng is generally spicy, so would definitely go for the Kabinett. Had another Donnhoff Kabinett (Oberhauser Leistenberg 2016) with a spicy Chinese meal (I know yours is Indonesian) and it went extremely well with the food, our hosts loved the wine.

Al dente maybe…but not rare if you want to keep your teeth!