01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Weekend Drinking Thread [24 to 26 September 2021]

This was one of the first things I bought en primeur from the society and the combination of the closing drinking window and the imminence of my reserves invoice mean that we are having this tonight with roast beef:

It really is all you could want from a mature claret. Still blackcurranty but the colour is now almost tawny and it is smooth with distinct tobacco and cedar.

I must have bought this in 2001 in the offer - without getting too philosophical it makes you think how much has changed while the wine has been sitting in the cellar…!

Happy weekend all!

24 Likes

We have now moved onto some supermarket Prosecco brought by a guest. It’s rank. Awful. Really terrible. They are a good friend but not if they carry on bringing this paint stripper round

11 Likes

Unless it is undrinkable maybe perfect fodder for a fizzy kir (won’t grace it with Royale) or similar; Bellini or the dreaded Aperol spritz.

2 Likes

I thought it about time I tasted the wine of one of our local vineyards - the Woodchester Valley, which makes both still and sparkling wines on a series of plots to the west of Cirencester. The Orpheus Bacchus is their top still wine and initially reminiscent of a good Pouilly Fume but develops richer, red apple fruit by the last glass. It accompanied some halloumi grilled with thick pieces of bacon. Loved the wine but my food matching was not as great!

Very pale, almost colourless. Slight green hue. Medium plus nose akin to a ripe Pouilly Fume or Sancerre. Freshly cut grass, nettles. Hints of gooseberry and green apple. Light palate. Fresh acidity. Ripe, smoky fruit. Red apple, ripe pear. Some mineral notes. Long finish. Lovely wine.

22 Likes

Opened this today to go with a beef stew made with this great cut of Beef
I lost count on how many bottles I had from a case of 12 I got for a bargain price of £90 ib.
Lovely wine with plenty of black fruit, length and acidity

25 Likes

We opened bottle number 3 of a (2017) Cariranne blanc bought EP, to accompany Iberico pork loin roasted with cream, apples and Somerset Cider brandy…

Alas! yet another oxidised bottle. The first bottle was fantastic - just what we want from a white Rhône, but two oxidised bottles out of 6 (and potentially the rest oxidised, too?) feels pretty crap :frowning_face:

I was going to open a white Chinon instead, but the husband really fancied this 2016 Pessac-Léognan, so went with it instead:

This has become a fairly regular purchase from Waitrose, especially when reduced from its usual price of £17.99. It’s a lovely expression of SB (no Semillon - Waitrose’s note is inaccurate) which is aged for 10 months in barrels (some new) and has got a lovely rounded texture - no doubt mellowed by age.

The nose is brimming with grapefruit and freshly-cut grass but also nectarines, a touch of lemony biscuit and delicate blossom. Vivacious on the palate - it has fresh, zesty fruit notes (grapefruit, and fresh nectarines - very evocative of eating loads of those in Israel as a child whilst watching TV! :slight_smile: ) but also a lovely smokiness and a sort of creamy lemon yoghurt note. Very complex for the price, and feels like a truly gastronomic wine.

Victory from the jaws of defeat and all that… :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: :clinking_glasses:

22 Likes

After a rather frustrating afternoon a quick look at the Internet offered Argentine malbec as a good match for madras curry (leftovers). Well, digging around led me to an overlooked bottle of

I’m sure the window shut years ago but the first few mouthfuls have wiped out the stresses of the afternoon and left me lost in the comforting warmth of a smooth rich vanilla, oaky, fruity embrace. Mustn’t forget to heat up the curry sometime soon!

21 Likes

Very interesting to read this, Robin63 - I was brung up in this valley, one of my sisters lives a stone’s throw above this vineyard now, and I’ve seen it go from a standard cattle field to what it is now - a rather impressive-looking vineyard with its lovely trellising etc on what is a very steep hill. Oh for a mighty fine river to be sweeping through the valley there too!

I noticed on our last visit last weekend that they’ve also opened a shop on the main road there [the A46], just before Nailsworth, and they seem clearly on the up etc.

I’ve not in truth been much moved by their wines I’ve tried to date, despite really wanting to be moved, so I’m going to make a point of trying this Orpheus Bacchus and hope it does the trick for me. It will inevitably become a family-gathering wine if it does :~}

4 Likes

As it now feels like autumn I tried to match the vibe with some appropriate food and drink. The wine was spot on …

… a 2013 ‘Les Longeroies’ from Sylvain Pataille. Savoury black cherry fruit, a strong floral note and some damp woodland undergrowth on the nose. All mirrored on tasting, medium bodied, tartly ripe black cherry and berry fruit, a touch of anise and spice, a subtle savoury undertow and a slippery texture. Tannins are now pretty much resolved but still provide a bit of grip with fresh acidity providing the bulk of its structure. Not the most polished example by any means but that’s fine by me as its honest unforced flavours are very much to my taste.

It was a great match to my best attempt at an autumnal bistro style dinner, roast guinea fowl and Puy lentils …

All the best for the coming week everyone and may your work and children treat you kindly.

Edit - forgot to say, sorry to hear about your duff bottle @inbar. I’ve experienced similar from the same producer. The corks employed to close their wines aren’t the best quality to my mind. Perhaps they should consider screwcaps ( for the whites especially ). I won’t be buying again unless they do that’s for sure.

24 Likes

Debris of a long weekend with my parents staying over, and a final taste of summer(ish) bbq’ing.

The Carascal I’ve raved about already, I seem to have got through a lot of these recently.

The Mitavelas Agiorgitiko is still in an awkward teenage phase and needs to be left alone in a dark room for a few years.

The Perrin C-H was superb. Nothing too complex here, just loads of sweet dark fruit and just enough depth to keep It interesting. So easy to drink. We saw off my last two of these.

The Mon Coeur was also very drinkable, but lacked the depth and richness of the C-H. Might be better in another year or two.

Now to give the liver a break (after a celebratory beer to celebrate a famous derby victory for the Arsenal :champagne:)!

16 Likes

Screenshot 2021-09-26 at 20.09.36

Easy drinking claret to go with Sika Deer loin with a red wine & chocolate sauce. @MarkC you would have been impressed with the cooking of the deer :grinning:

16 Likes

Rare I hope?

Did the claret stand up to it ok?

Yes very rare was exceptional. Used Ramsey recipe where you sear, then oven cook in tin foil, then rest. Claret worked ok.

1 Like

I’m on these two this weekend, both over last night & tonight, with some left over for tomorrow too - a CVNE Monopole Classico Blanco, Rioja 2017; and a Bin #010 Godello-Albariño-Treixadura, Ribeira Sacra 2020.

Both very nice wines, and both enjoyed last night with tapas-style snacks and tonight with roast chook.

If pushed to make a choice, Godello is probably my favourite grape for white wine, and I had huge anticipations for the Bin #010. The wine is certainly very good quality and very enjoyable, and beautifully fragrant as per the WS blurb; my personal preference however is for pure Godello; I rarely - never to date yet really if I’m honest - like it as much when it’s blended, and especially when it’s blended with Treixadura. The Treixadura seems to lend a softness / roundness which doesn’t really work for me, though that had lessened tonight. The Albarino was noticeable too for - I think - the slightly melony background taste. I didn’t get much minerality from the Albarino, which was what I was expecting. A very good & enjoyable wine for my tastes nevertheless, though I’d love to know what the pure Godello from the same stable is like, and have a hunch-through-habit that I’d probably prefer that to the blend.

The Monopole is also a terrific wine, though I’m enjoying it more tonight after it’s been open a while - the fruit is more obvious and the acidity & salinity likewise, giving a better balance for my tastes. It seemed slightly flat last night with the oxidative / sherry tastes taking the stage, and I’m generally not a huge fan of the oxidised / sherry style. Lovely dense viscous texture, and I’m very curious to see where it’s at tomorrow evening, I must say.

Both certainly tip-top, well-made & interesting wines, but not fully pinpoint to my particular tastes, and I’m not fully certain if I’d buy either again. Perhaps the Monopole if it’s still got tonight’s fruit-acidity-salinity balance tomorrow night.

16 Likes

When I do saddle of roe, it’s a sear for 2 minutes in a really hot pan, then roast in 200-210c over for 11 minutes then rest for at least 15.

I found the best wine match to be either a very assertive Rhone red or a top notch Aussie Shiraz…thinking Henschke or similar.

7 Likes

I had my doubts about this one initially - from a mixed case - a bit ‘hot’ - but after a long decant it’s really enjoyable with crunchy fruit, a hint of sweetness, good length. Lovely to sip on a Sunday evening.

17 Likes

#Crocos, I have not seen the vineyard yet but it does sound lovely - I understand they have 3 vineyards now in the area. I will be visiting soon. Having written my review I then looked at their website and noted they also make a Sauvignon Blanc and a Pinot Noir now. My early experience of Bacchus in the past but this wine was a revelation.

2 Likes

Our fridge-freezer is showing signs of being on its last legs, and we have a new one arriving midweek. We’ve managed to temporarily re-home most of the freezer contents, but are also making an effort to have a bit of a clear-out and eat stuff that needs eating. So tonight, I decided to have a starter with some frozen tomato consommé and basil granita that wouldn’t make the transfer - paired with some fresh tomatoes and burrata. And we had frozen a chicken brought back from France in the summer, so I cooked my pot-roast recipe with lardons from the freezer, white wine and cream, some fresh ceps from the local deli, caramelised chicory, and frozen spaetzles. A bit of a summer-autumn mash-up, I suppose, but that’s kind of what the day has been like. And a wine that went with both was also bought in France this summer - Domaine Loew Bruderbach Le Menhir Pinot Gris, 2018.

A lovely wine, and very easy to pair with food - polyvalent is the French expression. Mandarins on the nose, and just a hint of biscuit; then dry and light in the mouth, with mirabelles and ripe citrus. Just a touch of tannin on the finish, too. My notes say that 30% of it was fermented in barrels, which gives it a roundness but absolutely no overt woodiness.

And so on to another week. Hope everyone has a good one.

19 Likes

Lucky you weren’t really hungry!

1 Like

Very excited to open this last night - the Yapp reviews were very encouraging.

Alas, not to be. Crazy colour - concentrated apple juice aka urine sample :-/ Cork looked good, but wine itself was oxidised and thoroughly unpleasant. Settled for beer instead :man_shrugging:

10 Likes