Weekend Drinking Thread [24 Mar]

PradoRey from The Society and when I’ve finished that some Beronia GR 09

Excuse the poor quality pic, its my first effort with a tablet :tired_face:

1 Like

Inspired by the Pinot thread, I’ve dug this out. The 11th of a case bought from Montreuil in its last week of operation. Lovely, lightly sweet red fruit, minimally oaked and just a dash of spice notes. Recommended.

4 Likes

Me tonight: the wine I am emotionally attached to.

6 Likes

St chinian it is then. Definitely more vin noir than vin rouge and a taste straight out of the bottle - wow - power! Will leave in decanter while i do bedtime

1 Like

The L’Orangeraie Cab Franc is going down a storm! What a fabulous wine! Floral like a Loire Cab - but a little smoother, with red fruit on the nose and palate. Silky and moreish! Hubby is hugging (or is it hogging?!) the bottle. Hard to believe it’s a £7.50 wine! :+1::wine_glass:
Hope everyone is enjoying the Friday. Bring on Gardener’s World… :rose::deciduous_tree:

5 Likes

Couple of evenings to myself so Prieure-Lichine 2006 opened tonight will be enjoyed over the course of tonight and tomorrow night:

6 Likes

Didn’t think it would work, but this is successfully washing down the leftovers from last nights Chinese takeaway…

2 Likes

Tell us more. How did it find you? What is it?

It’s basically Aix, Chateau Simone underneath the independent shop tag. It’s totally gorgeous & was my first mutual love at TWS when I just joined in 2014. If you imagine the aroma of Pauillac, remove the heavy weight & add some southern fluidity, you’ll get Palette. I bought several cases, but sadly two of them were broken during 2016 & 2017 Christmas ‘special delivery’ attempts, this is why I say the Fate is sitting on this wine’s shoulder. But there will be no more breakage as I am drinking the last remaining case now…

1 Like

I bought this Lambrusco about a year ago, but never found a good time to open it. Tonight we had it with pizza.

https://www.thewinesociety.com/shop/HistoricProductDetail.aspx?pd=IT18211&usage=&pageNumber=0&pageSize=50&OrderBy=&ProductType=Sparkling+Wine&Country=All&Search=&OrderRef=&InStock=False&DrinkNow=False&Recent=False&MixedCaseWines=False

I liked it- bubbles aside, it looked, smelled and tasted to me like a fresh Beaujolais. And frothy bubbles are fun. My partner seemed to like the first glass, but then came the damning description ‘fizzy ribena’. Ouch.

4 Likes

Family get together tomorrow. My daughter bought my father a bottle of 1927 Cockburns Vintage Port to celebrate his 90th birthday. So apart from him, my sister and I, daughter in law, 3 grandchildren and their other halves and two great grand daughters are going to seeif it’s still drinkable! One of the great vintages of the 20th C but, 90 years? We’ll see.

Starting with Society’s Chablis followed by some 2010 Nuits St George. Should be an interesting evening wine wise!

Will let you know how it goes.

Stu

9 Likes

Tonight is my first experiment with orange wine.

Absolutely loving it, though I don’t think I’m up to the job of describing it properly. (Other than ‘wow, I wasn’t expecting those tannins, sherry aromas…’)

4 Likes

You do know that you are supposed to swallow the tablet :innocent::rose::wine_glass:

1 Like

Wife is just exiting a bad dose of Aussie 'flu…so I will be drinking for herSt Eulalie, Plaisir Eulalie…

1 Like

Did it go a bit spumante all over the place…? I’ve had a couple of bottles now, and I’ve learned to open them in the sink.

Maybe I was just unlucky.

Maybe it was beginner’s luck and I hadn’t learned to be afraid, but this one opened not with a bang but a whimper, and all stayed put. It was fridge cold when I opened it though, does that help or is it an urban(e?) myth?

1 Like

:scream: love to hear how it is!

I knew I was going wrong somewhere!

Thankfully I’m not in France, given the size of this tablet their method of taking tablets wouldn’t be funny.:open_mouth::joy:

4 Likes

Snap @ChrisB the bottle I’ve got to look forward to is also a German Riesling for my pork belly. I’m going rhubarb sauce rather than apple, due to having freezer full of the stuff.

Re-reading the description though, I’m not sure the bottle will be entirely comfortable at the dinner table :thinking:

https://www.thewinesociety.com/shop/HistoricProductDetail.aspx?pd=GE8981&usage=&pageNumber=0&pageSize=50&OrderBy=&ProductType=All&Country=Germany+-+Mosel+-+Saar+-+Ruwer&Search=&OrderRef=&InStock=False&DrinkNow=False&Recent=False&MixedCaseWines=False

3 Likes

I hope it works well with your pork…the wine sounds fab…it’s great fun matching wine with food isn’t it. Enjoy!