01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Weekend Drinking Thread 23rd - 25th July

Totally agree - its an excellent wine - and a reminder that I need to get a few in before they sell out. I seem to remember reading that Château-Thébaud is a definite step up amongst Muscadet - a premier cru equivalent. I certainly look out for it on my travels.

Bit of a blow - out this late lunch time as it’s au-revoir to France on Tuesday. Saturday here is Market day and so lunch depends on what’s on offer.

To accompany 1) crab claws, red grapefruit, with pepper and paprika, 2) fillets of fresh carrelat (plaice) - filleted from whole fish by yrs truly (accolades welcome) - with peas and home made sauce tartare, pannéd with home made breadcrumbs, and 3) Local cheese - fermier mixte and local vache lait cru.

Can Rafolis brut tradition - this is a top level Cava in all but name, but it has chenin in the mix and so cannot be so, but it’s elegant, biscuity, citrous and bitter aloes; Very appetising. Bought from Mas Oller as they work in partnership with them.

My favourite rosé (apart from the duff 2019 on which we’ll say no more). D’Anglès back on form. All is right with the world.

And a contemplation red from Clare Valley and from some of the oldest cabernets in the world, but imo the merlot dominated here - farmyard and roast tomatoes, plums and roast peppers, tannins integrated and all but subsumed but all totally harmonious . Lovely drop.

16 Likes

Excellent ! :+1:t2:

Halibut with persillade sandwich with truffle crisps and this white. Very refreshing and pleasant if a little one dimensional.
All I needed after battling noravirus this week. 1st drink in 7 days. Cheers!!

22 Likes

Made it to Hungary without any issues. Kids in the paddling pool, grandparents more than happy to look after them. Me having a 2020 Cuvée Blanc from Lajvér, 60% Sauvignon Blanc and 40% Cserszegi Fuszeres*. A very decent, refreshing white blend to match the heat.

*a cross between Irsai Oliver and Traminer (aka Savagnin)

28 Likes

I’d been meaning to try this for a while

Flatters to deceive, I’m afraid. Pleasant enough on the nose and OK for the price, but little varietal flavour on the palate and I don’t think I’ll be buying again.

9 Likes

Glad to hear you’re feeling better and are back in the saddle @Rafa :wink:

Only three days abstinence here but as the old saying goes. absence makes the heart grow fonder, as the wines tonight have / are going down a treat…

…the Polish Hill River Riesling 2020 was enjoyed with tandoori chicken (nowt to do with me), a squeeze of lemon and salad.

Lemon, lime and minerals on the nose and palate, high acidity as one would hope, tightly wound flavours at this point in time, and a pleasantly viscous oily texture. Extremely refreshing, would be great with shellfish or, on its own, on a balmy summer’s day. No complaints with the pairing with my starter either as it stood up to the spicy chicken with aplomb. No doubt its best years are still in front of it. Hats off to TWS too as the discounted case price here, just under £9, compares more than favourably to the lowest I could find down under ( $20 ).

The Paringa Estate ‘Peninsula’ Shiraz 2015, co-fermented with 5% viognier, was enjoyed with a wild boar burger and the usual sides, and it’s singing like a nightingale right now.

Spicy blackberry and cherry fruit, a lovely floral note and some gamey complexity on the nose. Medium bodied with soft black berry and plum ( specifically the Flavour King variety ) fruit and a mildly savoury note on tasting. Fresh acidity and fine grained tannins provide lift and structure and an all too easy drinkability. Yum!

As an aside, I swear I didn’t read the notes on the back label, until after I’d made my own whilst cooking dinner, but they were almost identical. Blimey !

All the best everyone.

Apologies - had to edit the post for some glaring typos and errors, no doubt there are still more, some things never change it seems :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

22 Likes

We’ve made it to Alsace with our daughter for three weeks, so are very happy :slight_smile: We bought some beef and fish brochettes, but alas the weather decided not to play ball, so they were not cooked in the garden but under the grill. Not the greatest hardship. We drank a pinot noir rosé 2017 made by Thomas Klein, a young guy from Albé, the village up the hill. And then a half-slice of excellent tarte au fromage blanc from the village patisserie, with Mittnacht Frères Gewurztraminer “Les Terres Blanches” 2018.

The rosé is lovely summer drinking but with a slightly serious edge - dry, but plenty of strawberry and red cherry fruit, and a touch of tannic grip to the finish. The gewurz is far from an out-and-out dessert wine, but being from 2018 is on the rounder, fuller side of a grape that you’d already expect to have a good level of residual sugar. Lychees, mangoes, ripe nectarines, a peppery finish, and paired well with the tart.

Happy Weekend!

25 Likes

Thanks @Embee !
The burger and the Shiraz sound a great combo :wine_glass:

2 Likes

This lovely claret with rib eye tonight

Apparently cost £49 for a 12 bottle case in 2009. It was just lovely. Smelled a bit bit like rotting vegetation but was smooth with lively acidity and black fruit as well as some ceegars. Delicious!

17 Likes

Joining the rib eye steak brigade tonight with this:

Not as complex as the 2009 of theirs tasted a month or so ago, but still a superb wine for the price. All the forest floor and black fruit you could ask for, trying to resist sticking a case in reserves for a couple of years. I suspect I’ll fail at this - but since I’ve just thrown the Bordeaux EP in the recycling after a cursory skim I won’t feel too bad about that. This is far better than any six in the offer at the price point.

Edit: turns out resistance is indeed futile. I make that six minutes.

17 Likes

A bottle of the Society’s Champagne tonight followed by the one of 6 different bottles I was able to get in the suitcase after a visit to New Zealand. The latest batch of the TWS Champagne is still tasting very acidic. The Element Syrah came from a small vineyard that primarily serves the restaurants in Auckland - was the best Syrah we tasted from Hawkes Bay Gimblett gravel. Great with some rump steak.

Lemon, gold with fine mousse. Medium plus nose. Rich brioche and citrus notes. Hints of burnt toast. Light palate. High acidity - quite green. Fresh lemon and lime. Green apple. Shortish finish. The acidity is overwhelming this wine still.

Medium red centre and rim. Medium plus nose. Smoke and leather. White pepper. Blackberry, strawberry and raspberry. Rich palate. Pepper and bramble. Strawberry, black currant and raspberry. Long finish. Lovely Syrah.

20 Likes

The theme of the week was ‘leaks’; it’s amazing where water can leak from – pipes, taps, ceilings… so first drink of the weekend had to be cheerful and zesty. Can’t fault this fizz for providing both cheer and zest:

We enjoyed some sparkling Albariño in Galicia, but for some reason I haven’t come across many in the UK, not sure why. In any case, the natural acidity and flavour profile seem to lend themselves to a sparkling version and this example had lovely notes of apple, white blossom, citrus and shortbread. Not complex, but it disappeared very quickly, nevertheless.

It was followed by a 2016 Saint-Émilion I stumbled upon in Waitrose a while back, when they had their ’10 for £10’ promotion (usual price is £14.99).

Mixed reviews on the Waitrose website, but we’re on the side of the more positive ones. In fact, this was joyous to sniff and drink from start to finish!

Very youthful still, with a nose brimming with plums, dark cherries and blackberries, as well as cedar, cinnamon and violets. Smooth as silk on the palate, with ripe and delicious fruit, it retained a good acidity and a fresh profile, which balanced the ripe fruit and very smooth tannins. It’s not the most intellectual of wines – it seems to hit the pleasure button more than the cerebral one, but I would happily buy again as it was so enjoyable. It complemented our squash and black bean stew beautifully, too.

Happy weekend, all – and hope none of you are engaged in any DIY! :wine_glass: :grinning:

25 Likes

I mentioned this - the Cottanera Etna Rosso Diciassettesalme, 2018 - on a different thread already, but putting it here too because I couldn’t understand the negative review it got on the WS listing [listing gone now as out of stock].

I think this is a really lovely & enjoyable wine - balanced, subtle and tasty with fresh fruit & some dried fruit, some warm ashy earth, and nice gentle but grippy tannins. Slight drying bitterness at the end [which I personally enjoy]. I kept it quite cool, and it really sang with a unami-ish dish I cooked for our dinner after the rugby. Delicious stuff and I’m sorry to see it’s gone.

16 Likes

Our post Rugby dinner line up with Duck Confit…the Rioja and Claret were guest offerings to hopefully celebrate a win…always a bonus when plans work out.

The Gigondas was perfect, very smooth , aged dark fruit and a soft farmyard finish . Perfect with the duck.

The Calon Segur a first for me , lively cassis fruit finish and totally integrated tannins. Most enjoyable

The Rioja was the standout…very big , unctious and long fruit finish still some life in there . I know nothing about this producer except it’s a bit special and indeed it was.

24 Likes

This wine is reviewed very well by David Williams today in the Guardian - along with several other TWS wines.

8 Likes

I added it to my wish list last night on the back of Tim’s glowing recommendation. Might have to break my buying moratorium (again) as I suspect it won’t be around for long!

1 Like

I’m assuming / hoping that the Brunello was one of the two standouts?! I have a few of the 2006 Riserva - had a bottle about 6ish months ago and thought it still wasn’t ready… Am therefore curious about how you found the 2001…

I realised with hindsight that my comment was unclear and I should have been loss opaque. The Chevillon was the absolute star. The PYCM excellent, so classy. I think the Brunello good… But served the same time as the Chevillon… This wasn’t a great idea, and it’s not in the same league. That said, it’s a good wine and with less remarkable company and, perhaps, excellent rare steak it would have shone more. It’s very good… I just couldn’t help thinking I prefer Burgundy!

4 Likes

(very late) Sunday lunch here in France before I make my convoluted way back to Blighty on Tuesday. Deferred by a 40km bike ride to whet the appetite; and mid-day Sunday is the best time of all for that kind of activity due to our fellow inhabitants’ requisite penchant for their Sunday lunch too, and hence very quiet roads partout.

So it was tournedos de rump steak ( actually more tasty than fillet) with (all local from the market yesterday) girolles, onions de Trébons, new spuds (variety unknown but paysanne in origin; very floury / great as roasties) , courgettes and - imported Norfolk horseradish.

My choice of accompaniment was this travel souvenir bottle of sagrantino; we last went to Umbria in 2013 and I think the few Montefalcos brought back from then are just about coming to the boil now.

Not wrong - and perfect with the meal. Nose of freshly opened Clarke’s shoes, sweaty swimming pool changing room, my mother’s Embassy fags packets, but a palate of stewed loganberries and morello cherries whilst sucking on my Dad’s slippers in front of an open fire.

Quite unexpectedly there was none left for the cheese and so I happenchanced on this other travel souvenir from Santorini, a fortified Voudomata; effectively was a bit like a PXO from Montilla but maybe a bit more plummy. Sadly once they’re gone they’re gone.

23 Likes