01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Weekend Drinking Thread 23rd - 25th July

I’m kicking off the weekend with a dinner party for my cousin, who’s up from Kent for the first time in a year and a half. So looking forward to trying my first EP Contino 936. I know it’s a bit young but why not!

Here’s the line up and the menu.

Happy Weekend, everyone! :clinking_glasses:

32 Likes

Can I book a table for two for next weekend please?

15 Likes

You might find it hard to get rid of your cousin with that sort of menu and wine list on offer.

The goulash sounds great - is it ‘just’ a normal slow-cooked goulash with really good beef?

2 Likes

2014 was in a real sweet spot when I tried it last Xmas. 2016 should be fine

1 Like

Such an interesting, complex wine. I’m glad I have two more.

22 Likes

Very classy Pinot Bianco

12 Likes

It’s been in the slow cooker since 10, this morning. A kilo of lean Scotch beef!

4 Likes

Eyeing up a case of the 2020 Chateau Ampelia and so thought it worth reminding myself of a previous vintage. A full, plummy claret for drinking 5 to 10 years after the vintage. Great value.

Deep red centre. Red rim. Medium nose. Black plum, blackberry and raspberry. Cedar, vanilla and dark chocolate. Full palate. Firm tannins. Medium acidity. Plum and chocolate. Blackberry. Hints of burnt oak and prune. Medium plus finish. Full, deep coloured claret with plummy fruit.

21 Likes

Probably heading for a couple of big smoothies for pizza Friday this week. Starting with

Swiftly followed by our fav CdR

Wishing everyone a grand weekend :clinking_glasses:

13 Likes

Great line up. Hope your cousin appreciates all that effort!

1 Like

[Some of] One of my old trusted favourites for me this evening - a Thorne & Daughters Rocking Horse 2017; as lip-lickingly and mesmerisingly delicious as always. Just such a lovely wine this one.

I snagged 2 cases for a silly price a few months ago as the boxes were “damaged” and “soiled”. If that’s what a few light muddy smudges means, then I can sadly say that our entire house is “damaged” and “soiled” :~}

20 Likes

This for me tonight. Too many whites mid-week and it has cooled off today.
An excellent introduction to the producer. Super classy and £12.95 was more than fair. Just bought the 1 bottle as a toe in the water.
High hopes for my case of this in a few years

18 Likes

Kicked off with another hugely successful Exhibition Cape Chenin which is just as good as the ‘19 vintage. This wine is wonderfully textured and although quite linear and dry leaves you with a certain creaminess, reminiscent of fresh cashew nuts.

It also highlights the success of the Exhibition wines and having downed enough of the Langhe Nebbiolo to sink a battle ship this summer a resolution has been made to explore more from the range.

Moving on to this evening’s offering sees my first taste of Vińa Cubillo. There’s definitely a lot going on here but after only 30 minutes from opening its beginning to settle down. Fruit forward, good crunchy acidity and those spicy, coconut notes imparted by oak contact without the wine somehow being oaky if that makes sense. Looking forward to seeing how this evolves over the next 24 hours.

Happy weekend everyone!

20 Likes

Drinking what is I think my last bottle of

Sorry to admit I’m still entertained by their back label phrase - “Save a tree, drink
Puiatti. No oak aged wines.” But I’m easily amused, and I like the wine too. Not complex but fresh, fruity, and easy. And 12.5%. It was a fair £9.50.
Meanwhile contemplating the updated version of an old Otis Redding song, “Sat on the dock of the bay”. I think I prefer the original.

18 Likes

Good wine, well balanced, drank well with sea bass. May well re-order.

15 Likes

That Graviers is one of my favourite wines of this year - really lovely stuff. Annoyed I only bought the one bottle, and none to be found anywhere now. If it’s anything to go by, I can imagine the St Jo being really quite something.

3 Likes

Well this most certainly surprised my taste buds. Much better than I had anticipated with some really nice liquorice and aniseed dotted in amongst the wild strawberries and redcurrants, great acidity too to give a refreshing fresh lift .
Pretty good :+1: :blush:!

21 Likes

Thanks for the tasting note. I also picked up a box of the 2019 Babylone, great to hear the Vin de France Syrah is delicious.

13 Likes

Smart stony understated Muscadet, tastes of wet pebbles with faint white peach in the background. Good value in comparison with Chablis which it bears a certain resemblance to.

Nice with a courgette and tomato quiche which my better half successfully improvised for dinner. The less sultry weather coming is good because my collection is getting rather red heavy at the moment.

18 Likes

Two wines outshone the others. Predictably, alas!

19 Likes