01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Weekend Drinking Thread: 22-25 May .. Bank Holiday!

Great description!

Out of interest, is it anything like Graticciaia?

Sounds great! We’re planning a Lapin à la moutarde on the bank holiday Monday - clearly a weekend for our furry friends. The wine sounds right up my street too! :+1::+1:

1 Like

Friday night brought these wines.

The champagne was the apéritif. First course was smoked salmon with dill and mustard sauce helped down by a Lustau Fino sherry. Main course with the CNDP was pieces of loin of venison served with a cream and Dijon mustard sauce and spring vegetables. The wine was ok but no more than that - 1st of 6 bottles and I will ensure early consumption of the rest. The cheese enjoyed the claret and the dessert (pic follows) loved the Ch. Cantegril.

14 Likes

Tonight we’re having this:-

With this:-

I have to admit that I owe @Freddy a slight apology. The nose is wonderful, by now all petrol and beeswax, the attack was glorious, but I felt the acid was way too high.

However, as my other half just pointed out, I’ve had acid reflux all week due to the antibiotics I’ve been taking, and to her the acid was both in perfect balance and absolutely perfect for the seafood risotto with langoustines and scallops we had. So that’s me told! :grinning:

Looking forward to bin #005 now.

17 Likes

Hmm, interesting question.

Certainly suggestions of it, in terms of figgy richness that you would associate with appassimento wines, but the fruits here are more sour red plums and purple figs rather than the prunes and sun-roasted fruits I’d associate with Puglia.

It’s really the distinctive Nero d’Avola chocolate notes that I love, and if you’re a Gratticaia fan, I could see you really enjoying this. Rather bizarrely, the acidity and spice of this is reminding me of a youngish Musar more than anything. Certainly a surprise to me, and I’ll definitely age more Nero d’Avola in the future.

5 Likes

Ditto and I cant wait to drink the '08 which for my palate is probably a good time to start. '76RD…wow ! You are incredibly fortunate. The base '18 in the NV will be amazing, agreed - everyone is telling me '18 is the next great vintage in Champagne. I had the pleasure of drinking my last 2 bottles of the '02RD with some friends a few days before lockdown and I have to say they were absolutely perfect. Delightful in fact.

8 Likes

Hat tip to @Inbar for the heads up about the new Lidl Summer Range (shame they forgot to tell the weather up here!). Had this one tonight with foil parcels of haddock in cream curry sauce with herbs, basmati rice and fine beans.

Very good indeed, punching above its price. Slightly saline in a good way, oak very restrained, initially slightly sweet on the mouth, but then the tingling acidity comes through. Went really well with this lightly spiced food. Tried a glass of the Zind Humbrecht Gewurz from last night but it was too big for the subtlety of this dish.

10 Likes

Looking forward to my only 2011 of this, after your note :smile:

Burgenland Blaufrankisch Szapary 2012, Schiefer Hugely impressive nose, great smoky complexity which invites you to take a sip. When you do it’s all silkiness and effortless elegance. Reminds me of a seriously good Burgundy. Not many reds recently because of the weather (my much loved summer reds excepted, of course), but this is the best red I’ve had in a while.

Carignano del Sulcis Rocca Rubia 2014, Santadi Sardinian Carignan, all spicy red fruit. A touch rustic yet wirh a certain Italian suaveness - makes a nice contrast. Very good wine, like everything from this very forward-thinking coop.

9 Likes

2010 is lovely now but I wouldn’t say there’s a massive hurry to drink your 2011.

2 Likes

D’Angludet 2005 tonight. Still good for ten years I’d say.

7 Likes

That sounds like something I should try. I enjoy Graticciaia in the right time and place but would never have it with food as it’s too rich and sweet for that, I think. The sour notes your aged Nero has, and the bitterness of the chocolate aspect, sound much more like a food wine - especially with red meat.

Something to investigate further. Thanks for the lead.

4 Likes

We also opened a bottle of the Bin#04 this weekend. Completely agree with you on the nose - complex and very appealing. The acid is prominent, but not overly so, especially with food (fish and chips last night, baked sea bass tonight). The nose follows through on the palate quite nicely.

12 Likes

Couldn’t agree more, it’s the bitter chocolate and sour plum that really worked with the flame grilled meat. No sweetness here. I like appassimento wines but tend to treat them as a port substitute rather than a food wine. And that’s coming from someone who studied in Amarone country!

Some lovely bottles being opened this weekend, alas mine wasn’t one of them. Rearranging the shelves in the cellar and found a bottle of this that I didn’t know I had…

Sainsbury’s TtD Primitivo 2018. The bottle says Rich and smooth structure with velvety tannins. I say Spangles dissolved in methylated spirit. The only discernible fruit is akin to overripe, bruised plums. This is the vinous equivalent of a sharp kick in the nether regions. Bruised plums indeed…

Can’t even bring myself to cook with it. Will need to find something a little more promising for tomorrow’s roast pork I think. :nauseated_face:

21 Likes

What’s a spangle?

Uruguayan Cabernet Franc from 2013, which was showing signs of age. Drank with a rich beef stew. Worked really well. Made by Alto de La Ballena just inland from Punta del Este in Maldonado.

My notes: Red centre, light red rim. Showing a little age. Intense nose. Signs of age. Black currants. Tabacco. Wet earth. Dry palate. Medium tannins. Medium acidity. Black currant. Blackberry. Hints of leather, tar and vegetation. Long finish. With age has developed more complex flavours but not clear how much more life it has left.

9 Likes

Not ideal in your wine

15 Likes

The Capbern pictured earlier was absolutely In the drinking window, soft tannins, black fruits and a bit earthy . Worked well with a roast ribeye and a few years to go if you have stock.

2 Likes

Great with tomatoes too! These wines definitely don’t need meat.

Hmm - when tomatoes are centre stage, I generally prefer something a bit younger and fresher. Chianti Classico is the go-to which explains the 200-odd bottles I seem to have accumulated of the stuff…

The chocolate aspect of the aged Nero is what put me in mind of red meat as that ought to match particularly well. I was also imaging how it would be with the food in the picture!

I shall make a note to try it with some tomato pasta (or a tomato salad?) when I investigate further.

4 Likes