01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Weekend Drinking Thread [21 to 23 February 2020]

weekend-drinking

What, no weekend drinking thread yet…? Well, happy to start things off :slight_smile:

We started our evening with some fizz, as we’re in the mood for a little celebration – the other half got an excellent result on his recent MA assignment, and I was asked to deliver a tasting session for the Sussex wine school, which will no doubt be much more fun than delivering mental health awareness sessions to academics…! :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Anyway, opted for a trusted old SA sparkling from Graham Beck. It used to be our go to value fizz years ago, before Crémant took over, but I still think it offers excellent value for money, with its rich, creamy mouthfeel and fresh citrus fruit, balanced with a good amount of acidity and delicate mousse.

For dinner (pasta bake), decided to open a 2018 Ribolla Gialla from the Collio region:

This is a fresh and uncomplex example (no skin-contact here), which nevertheless offers great enjoyment. The nose has notes of white blossom, fresh apricot, nectarine, beeswax, tangerine and something a bit spicy too (cinnamon, we thought). On the palate it is ripe, with lovely notes of stone fruit, passion fruit, something floral but also some aniseed undertone (the husband thought ‘barley twist’ – I have no idea what it is). The mouthfeel is pleasantly waxy. It’s a very unique sort of combination of flavours, which – despite a shortish finish – offers a lot of pleasure.

What are you drinking this weekend? :clinking_glasses: :grinning:

This is quite lovely from Campo de Borja - a DOC we have never tried before. 60/40 Grenacha/Syrah fermented in concrete. Liquorice, strawberry and blackcurrant on the nose. Peppery on the palate with tannins and acidity well integrated. One question I have for the community. This has been spontaneously fermented…which means what exactly?

Last of the ‘11 Eagles Nest tonight. Superb new world Syrah

Roasted Mozzarella stuffed, honey drizzled, Parma Han wrapped figs with some salad leaves for dinner paired nicely with a small glass of the 2012 Marcel Deiss Altenberg de Bergheim via Coravin.

Not sure why this photo is Sideways… in this day and age, but you get the gist. Some garlic prawn stir fry is on the cards for the weekend, might get the Wirsching Sceurebe open to match, any thoughts?

After travelling the length of the country with two small children I am very much enjoying seeing how this unfolds over the next couple of evenings. It certainly doesn’t taste 5 - 6 years old - pretty taut and fruit forward

My father in law asked if I wanted this bottle of wine that he had been given from a business colleague, he’s not a huge fan of red wine so I explained that this was a serious bottle and maybe he should keep it. Anyway he got his way and I opened it tonight and it’s delicious, well balanced,long finish and so moorish with the classic Bordueax characters.
I feel a very lucky man

I believe this means only wild yeast used, so fermentation started without human intervention with whatever was present in the winery/on the grapes. A bit like lambic beer fermentation.

Tonight my first Rapsani

Hell this is good!! It deserves to be drunk from my Zalto Burgundy glass. Much better value than a burgundy at this price. Velvety smooth with hints of cola, cherries and lavender. Definitely be buying more ( when I can decide what not to buy !)

There’s an emerging sort of olive oil note in the background here but waves of exotic fruit coming through with a bit of air. Very refreshing and a sustained finish. Can’t go wrong with dry Riesling right now, it seems!

Interestingly the producer’s website indicates that wines from this vineyard are designated as grosse gewach and there is a GG embossed logo on the bottle but there is no other indication of the status. Is this normal for German wines?

We’ve been drinking Pataille’s 2016 Bourgogne Aligote tonight, and it’s delicious. Somehow tart and creamy at the same time, lots of pear and crisp apple flavours, really beautiful.

In keeping with this thread, his wine is also naturally fermented, as is a lot of my favourite wine

There’s a flavour that’s been common to both Aligote I’ve tried - this and De Moor - that I can’t identify… makes me think a bit of strawberry but that’s not quite it…

Oooh! That’s promising! We got his 2017 vintage, and waiting for the right moment (and food) to present itself. I hope it’s as good as your 2016 :crossed_fingers:

“Well, if you insist…”

Good to know this is showing well. I have a 2004 in the wine cabinet waiting for an excuse to open that night never come

In my limited experience the labelling of GG wines can be discreet. The embossed bottle seems to be a given though. Sometimes it’s mentioned on the front label but not always. The GG status of the Goldenes Loch is noted on the back label but it isn’t obvious. Here’s a pic of your wine with a more obvious example…

…not all producers buy into the classification and its rules and regulations though. Burklin-Wolf label their wines, which could potentially be labelled GG, as GC (Grand Cru) !

I might be wrong though. German wine classification seems to be designed to confuse anyone bar a Master of Wine.

Oh, I did have a bottle once, from Guntrum, that actually spelled it out in full ( on the back label )

Well spotted - yes I think I’m just surprised they don’t use it in the name of the wine - they certainly don’t seem to be pushing the GG designation as a driver for a wine being, for example, at a certain price point (mind you Alsace producers don’t really with GC status in a consistent way either). Having read up a bit now I think the VDP logo next to the GG effectively means the same thing.

Anyway it’s very good and well worth the discounted price IMO in terms of quality and interest. TWS sells enough great dry Riesling under £20 that I can understand why it had limited traction at the higher price.

Later on we will open a Caves de Turkheim Brand Grand Cru Riesling 2014. Bought in a French supermarket last year so fingers crossed. Then a German Pinot Noir from a Brauneberg producer on the Mosel. Not an expensive PN by any means but his Rieslings are to die for so again we cross our fingers and hope.

Had this for the first time last night. Really impressed. Crisp peppery fruit. Quite moorish. Classic Gruner flavours. Was great with butternut squash risotto. Pretty good on its own. A repurchase for certain.

And the same for TWS. Which surprised me as GG wines normally sell for upwards of £30. When I checked the producers’ website the 2012, IIRC, was listed, cellar door, at 23 Euros. Kudos to TWS for listed it at such a fair price.

Last night was out at Salut in Manchester and had a bottle of this…

Also had it as an example wine on a wine course recently. I thought it was a bit pricey at around £16, but it’s a lovely example of very drinkable, but very elegant Chilean Cab Sav. Blackcurrant very prominent with some cedar notes (for me anyway), but not a fruit bomb and oak influence very well considered. Not great length, but brilliantly balanced.

Off in a date in Liverpool to a wine bar so will make notes…

Sounds great! I had a very disappointing unbalanced Gruner last night…

Definitely worth the money! Good value.