01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Weekend Drinking Thread 21-23rd August 2020

Haven’t been drinking much for a while, my partner was unwell and not drinking and I was just drinking the odd gin and tonic. After a hospital stay she is a lot better so really pleased to share a glass of this. Pausing for a thought for the victims of the recent atrocity in Lebanon and indeed all the travails that beautiful country has been through:

Cracking red with a good hint of spice and game. Mini Musar!

26 Likes

Have some of this in the cupboard so looking forward to it.

Glad your partner is better.

3 Likes

A day driving through but not visiting Sussex vineyards. But we bought this Donnhoff and it’s fantastic. Apricot, peach, honeysuckle, a touch of fennel, fresh green beans and salty on the nose.

Palate is beautiful. Crisp and acid is high but spot on. Dry but still fruity and mineral all the way.

Happy Friday!

21 Likes

Feels like it has been a very long week. So a treat seems in order.

At this time Montrose had a reputation for being one of the slowest maturing Bordeaux. Add the quality of the vintage and this was always going to be a long haul wine. Quite this long wasn’t planned - remarkably this is the first bottle I’ve opened.

Levels excellent - into neck. Cork very soft but no sign of seepage. Nose very dumb - noticeable loss of colour. Looks a lot older than the 82 Cos I opened a few weeks ago. I’d have guessed a 61 or 70 rather than an 82. Have I left too long?

Now resting in a decanter. Fingers crossed…

26 Likes

After the first full week back at school, we’ve decided on a steak night. Going for the federation standard Exhibition Mendoza Malbec 2018. Always a crowd pleaser! :yum:

16 Likes

Another long week, I’d forgotten how good this is…

15 Likes

Not much cooking by me this week - Christine Ferber’s tourte à la volaille, with salad in the garden. Wine-wise - we’re still in Covid mode of drinking good wine now rather than keeping it for some unknown occasion in the future. And this has waited long enough (admittedly not in our cellar). Louis Sipp Kirchberg Riesling, 1978, bought a couple of years ago at a tasting of their wines from years ending in 8.

It would be Grand Cru Kirchberg now, but this was made before most of the Grands Crus were recognised. It would also be a 75cl bottle, but they used 70cl back then. It’s still incredibly fresh; there’s a very strong acidic backbone, and it is much lighter in colour than you would expect. No real hint of oxidative character - perhaps some orchard fruit; some brioche; some petrol but in no way too much. But what really hits you is the quantity of lime, lemon and citrus that’s still there. Very fine and vertical, and could probably have been left a lot longer. Amazing.

30 Likes

I was contemplating opening a 2001 LRA 904 GR after the nudge of ‘Low Stock Spain’ being promoted, but thought it maybe a little too frivolous to open such a bottle without a little more thought. Clearly I didn’t get the memo @Lincoln got, as frankly a 904 seems to be rather ordinary in comparison! :smiley:

So with a lovely locally-sourced, rare breed, free range (I promise it ends soon) pork chop and roasted squash, we had…

Obviously not as aromatic as my preferred areas (Verduno, Novello, La Morra), it displays the angular tannins and muscularity of Bussia… but, it does have a lovely dried cherry and roses bouquet, and could probably quite easily age for another decade. Luckily, with the 2008 restraint, it wasn’t over the top, and with a couple of hours in the decanter it mellowed a little.

16 Likes

Ok so the Society’s Red Burgundy replacement is just what the doctor ordered. Scented (at the right temp!), floral, polished sweet cherries and tannic grip.

But can we talk about this carbonara with guanciale from Tempus. Nothing like anytime I have ever made it with pancetta :pray::pig:

27 Likes

I’m having a wisdom tooth removed tomorrow and probably won’t be able to drink alcohol for a week :weary::weary: ( long story but I’ll need at least one stitch and alcohol impairs wound healing)

Anyway my “ last meal” tonight ( as I love to tell my family to get their attention!) was Veal escalopes in breadcrumbs. Needed a Pinot Noir to go with it so opened this South African that I bought from TWS last year

Strong hit of cranberries followed by a hint of smoke, potpurri and red cherries. The tannins have already integrated well. I’m looking for SA Pinots at the moment and this doesn’t disappoint. My favourite is still the Family Vineyards by Newton Johnson, but this comes close to it.

Will finish this off tonight and then look on jealously at the forum over the next week ! :tired_face:

22 Likes

Now that’s a pig cheek!

2 Likes

Tourte sounds so much more sophisticated than pasty or pie :rofl:

3 Likes

Look at the fat on the Guanciale! “ Fat means flavour”!!!

1 Like

Pleased to report the 82 Montrose is in a very good place. It has all the tertiary flavours you’d want from a mature GCC. Forest floor, mushrooms, and even a little truffle to go with the blackcurrant vanilla etc. Super smooth and very long.

Went brilliantly with a simple sirloin steak. As always the best wine deserves unfussy food.

I reckon this has at least a decade ahead of it. Possibly much more. The more 82s I drink the more I am convinced they are generally better than the excellent 61s. The obvious exception being Palmer.

14 Likes

We will be drinking these two over the course of tomorrow and Sunday.

To go with scallops

To go with Melanzane alla Parmigiana

Tonight we enjoyed a Mojito then a London Porter beer which went remarkably well with pizza!

14 Likes

Given the mixed reviews, one in particular picked up in a previous Community post which suggested it could be used as an alternative to Sarson’s vinegar, I wasn’t sure what this would be like!

Happy to report it was super, I was lucky to buy 3 bottles before it sold out, wish I’d bought more. I was worried it might be a bit rustic and harsh, but it was smooth, polished, had good fruit. An absolute steal for £6.95.

16 Likes

Last night in Saumur :frowning_face: heading back to Old Blighty tomorrow. But finished our wonderful break on a high, with a fantastic meal in L’Escargot. If you’re visiting Saumur don’t miss this little gem of a place! :+1::heart_eyes:

We chose a 2016 Bourgueil ‘Racines’ made by Frédéric Mabileau, which was just the ticket - damp forest floor, pot-pourri and bramble on the nose; the palate was all dark fruit (cherries, blackberries), a touch of dried herbs and a sweet/sour balsamic note on the finish. Delicious!

We got his 2017 Saint Nicolas de Bourgueil ‘Les Rouillères’ at home, which I’m now even more keen to open:

Finished dinner with a glass of Coteaux du Layon… Is it the most underrated dessert wine?.. This one was a light and harmonious concoction of pineapple, honey and Seville orange marmalade, with a lively zest of acidity. It really worked with the crème brûlée :ok_hand:

Packing now… Quarantine, here we come! :muscle:

22 Likes

I loved the Mabileau Pineau D’Aunis the WS had a while ago, that CF is in my basket at the moment!

3 Likes

We did too! :grinning::+1:

On a different note - glad to hear your partner is on the mend! :pray:

1 Like

This tonight. just to compare with Karl Johner’s ‘Enselberg’ Pinot Noir 2017, so much enjoyed on Thursday, Martin Wasmmer’s Spatburgunder 2017 from the Markgraflerland area of Baden…

…deeper cherry red colour. Ripe cherry nose. almost kirsch like, with underlying woody notes, very much fruit forward and lacking the savoury nuance of Johner’s wine. Similar impressions on tasting, deeper, riper but more straight forward. Falls more into a ‘dry red’ category than anything obviously Pinot. Tasted blind, I might have thought good quality Blaufrankisch. The Johner wine had that, almost inexplicable, Pinot magic, this doesn’t. Riper. more obvious, and lacking the nuance and subtlety yesterday’s wine had. What makes the difference ? Soil, clonal selection, winemaking technique, I don’t know to be honest, but it didn’t float my boat nearly as much. That said, it’s still a well made, enjoyably honest wine and I feel somewhat churlish criticising it and others might prefer its flavours. That’s wine I guess, something utterly subjective !

20 Likes