01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Weekend drinking thread [20th - 22nd November 2020]

Thanks for the very helpful answer. I’ll forget mine for a while then. Agree with you about their approach to farming, definitely one reason why I made the purchase. Hope to get done of the Patelin currently listed of it hangs around until pay day. The zoom was good wasn’t it? They must be so committed to the method if they’re prepared to search for 3 years to find the right place to plant. Kudos on the vineyard visit.

3 Likes

We went to my mother’s for the afternoon yesterday, as much to get the children out the house as to go help build some flat-pack stuff for her. Anyway, I kicked off with a beer, while the other half had a glass of some rather face-melting sauvignon blanc, and then my mother said she’s got some red wine in as well.

I sought it out, fearing the worst, and found this:

It was the 2019 but that doesn’t seem to be on Cellartracker yet.

Anyway, it’s great. No, really. She said it came from Asda, and sure enough I found it on the shelf today for £6 a bottle. It properly tastes of stuff, which of course isn’t necessarily a given at this price level. It’s got a lively nose of blueberries and violets, and while easy-drinking there’s also a proper grown-up sense of structure and an appetising dryness on the palate. We were all over it, and I bought a couple of bottles today with the groceries.

Also, over the last few days, I had this:

A lot of money for such an unknown (to me) quantity but the hunch paid off - this is fabulous. The blurb says “stylistically somewhere between Crozes and Cornas” and - power of suggestion notwithstanding - I see just what they mean.

This is classy stuff. I want more.

23 Likes

We’ve started on the mixed case of 2018 Beaujolais crus I bought in the summer, with the two wines that appeared to be the earliest-drinking:

There’s just something delicious about the fruit on all the 2018s I’ve tried and these were no exception - unpretentious, balanced, food-friendly and drinkable.

15 Likes

How was the 2015 Chianti Rufina?
Just waiting for a bowl of Ragu?
I have one in a mixed case which arrived last week…

1 Like

What a pain ! Fingers crossed a phone call home provided a support vehicle to provide rescue and that you didn’t have to trudge home with it.

Thanks for the timely reminder that stuff happens too. Next time I go out I’ll take a debit card and a face mask just in case I need to make my way to the nearest train station home.

Lovely food and wine by the way, thanks for the notes too, I have three bottles of the same here.

3 Likes

Had a bottle of this, may have been Thursday last week. Decanted and started it an hour later - perfectly lovely and very fine indeed.

But after about three hours it was even lovelier.

17 Likes

Despite neither my mum nor myself being great fans of fizz, we felt it was called for on her ninetieth birthday on Sunday. So thanks for all the suggestions and I went with, I think, @Inbar’s:

Which matched the occasion well. Both my mum and myself enjoyed it whilst zooming with the rest of the family. Not quite the same ambience of a grand family party but the best we can do in the circumstances!
20 Likes

It was delicious thanks. I don’t drink much Chianti, but I’d say this was on the lighter side. Lovely savoury characteristics coming through, though still plenty of fruit. I opened to have with a takeaway pizza, but they closed 2 minutes before I called :scream:

2 Likes

Happy to, @Jack_Humphries

It’s a very dark red wine - Paul Speck says the grape doesn’t have clear juice like most black grapes, but is pink. It’s strongly flavoured and robust, red berries plum and prunes came to mind, with a faint touch of bitterness at the finish. It’s more like a big Malbec, or jammy Zinfandel or Italian Amarone than a delicate Pinot. I think, if tasted blind, one would guess Italian…

Although it tastes like a really big wine, it was only 13.5%abv. I asked Paul Speck how accurate that was. He didn’t have the technical data with him but said it was accurate.

Baco Noir is not a commonly found wine. As it’s a hybrid it’s not on the EU list of approved varieties and it’s mostly found in Ontario, Canada with some in north-east USA.

It’s named after its breeder, Francois Baco who, like others at the time, were crossbreeding French and American varieties to get a wine grape that could resist phylloxera. As Baco Noir didn’t have the off-putting ‘foxy’ taste of North American grapes and many hybrids it was widely planted in France until, after grafting was finally accepted as the solution to phylloxera, the French banned American varieties and hybrids as wine producers.

Francois Baco’s other famous hybrid, a sibling to Baco Noir is the white Baco Blanc which was widely grown in Armagnac to make their brandy. After a long campaign against pulling up Baco Blanc the Armagnacs only recently got permission to keep their remaining Baco Blanc vines.

I got this wine from St Albans independent Cellar Door. If you fancy a taste and you can’t get to St Albans you could try asking the importer,

Champagne Warehouse TA Wine Rascals where your nearest stockist is. There is also a bit on Baco on the importers blog here

8 Likes

Happy birthday to your mum, @MikeFranklin! :tada:

Nice to hear you both enjoyed the Jules Camuset! :grin: :champagne:

1 Like

That is interesting, @strawpig. I was intending getting it from Flagship. It’s unwooded. I am not keen on tasting wood in whites.

A winemaker (I can’t remember who) said that if you can taste wood then it has failed in it purpose. Another told me that wood should play the same role to wine as a dance floor does to ballroom dancers, that of supporting the main act.

2 Likes

Ah but different dancers might require different levels of support! :wink:

[only teasing - I couldn’t resist! I actually quite enjoy a little oak in my wine, though of course it is all down to taste, vive la difference, I say!]

2 Likes

Thanks for that note to self - open this year

1 Like

Our wines of the weekend were, Saturday evening with Pasta and Ragu this…

Dark brooding fruit but fully integrated and on its plateau ready to drink. Decanted about 90 minutes beforehand. Delightful.

Sunday with roast pork, this Macon as mentioned by Victoria Moore in The Telegraph. Well priced Chardonnay, quite sharp and a honeyish finish with temperature. Worked well with food and great vfm

20 Likes

It was at Bar Jean in Biarritz, so you could make the case that they’re all Basque. The Luis Cañas in question was served with rather a lot of seafood sat outside in the market place while it was still over 30 degrees C in the evening, and was very welcome and refreshing. It was an odd evening, as along with the Spanish wine in France, the buskers were actually good.

As long as it’s balanced, I am quite a fan of oaky whites, particularly oaked white Rioja as it happens. I’m also a big fan of the unoaked ones.

3 Likes

Thanks for this @peterm, really appreciate you taking the time to share your knowledge. Every day is a school day as they say, particularly when it comes to wine. That made for a very interesting lunchtime read, definitely one I’ll need to seek out in the future.

1 Like

Sadly now “Out Of Stock” no doubt helped by the write up :frowning:

1 Like

That’s a pity @Claret1961 …it’s been written up twice by Victoria Moore so I am not surprised it’s gone.
Fortunately a few more left in our case.

This really does show that if there is something recommended by this community or grabs a media push you certain need to hit the buy button or else it is gone quickly

1 Like

And may I add my very best wishes to your Mum.
I am aware, from personal experience, quite how difficult life was for that generation.
Born into a society where the radio was the only form of broadcast entertainment, limited educational opportunities, gender discrimination, minimal medicine before the NHS came about and a world war with all the horrors that brought. Society today, owes them a debt of gratitude that can and will never be repaid. And yet, we still allow the Covid-19 virus to ravage the care homes where these heroines (most of the men long gone) reside.
We should be bereft with shame, yet all I hear is how many seek to circumvent the policies that seek to keep them safe!
Today, in comparison we really do not know how fortunate we are!! :dragon:

6 Likes

Thanks for sharing, I have some of that St-Joseph and wasn’t sure when to broach it.