01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Weekend drinking thread [20-22 March 2020]

Enjoyed our last Spanish road trip wine from October 18, seems pertinent as free movement and Covid 19 takes over. Although a fabulous day outside its a cold night so venison and a touch of Ribera del Duero. This was glorious, smooth and the 5% Cabernet adds some depth to the Tempranillo.

Add images

8 Likes

They are patchy. The St Jo I have from that year is very good. A lot of the southern Rhones are very difficult.

The Cazaux Sarrasine 2013 for a while was brilliant, it has now gone back into it’s shell!! Sob!
That is how a group like this can help each other.
When you taste a bottle and it “sings,” we should tell each other.
If you are not sure, be honest and still post.
It truly drives me up the wall when I see, say William Fevre’s Domaine Chablis 2014 which is from a fabulous White Burgundy vintage, that the WS must have sold several shedful’s of the stuff AND NOT ONE tasting note on the website.
That makes no sense to me!
And might I castigate our buyers, when they see a wine that they have bought for the Society/Members that is on top form in the tastings/dinners etc that they attend , then they should shout it from the rooftops!!
And now I think that I should call for a taxi and get my coat before I’m booted out of here! :wink: :grin:

5 Likes

I’ve got 5 bottles left of 2013, all from Clos des Cazaux, both Vacqueyras and Gigondas.

My notes on the Vacqueyras (3 bottles drunk in last year or so) indicate a bit of bottle variability but overall decent enough, and softening markedly - previously Syrah was quite dominant here.

For the Sarrazine Gigondas, I only have one note, from about a year ago, which was very positive, commenting on the relative lightness and elegance of this wine. I note that other Cellartracker reviews were very positive year or so ago.

2 Likes

No chickens to be found anywhere but the farmers market supplied me with a beautiful whole brill. Filleted and simply pan fried, served with red and wild rice melange and purple sprouting broccoli. No photo as the plate looked a dog’s dinner!

First taste of my Alain Voge Saint Peray Ongrie 2016. White Rhone, wow what a place to explore. My notes:
Viscous, grippy, concentrated.
Lanolin & lemon pith.
Serious and long.

17 Likes

No asparagus, then, @danchaq? That fish looks lovely, and the wine sounds like a great match.

1 Like

Fish looks lovely because at that point I’d not layed hand on it yet :joy: Next time I’ll skin it before pan frying.

Asparagus man doesn’t come for a week or so yet, crossed fingers the market continues…

10 Likes

I am as envious as is possible, regarding your brill.
It looked like an absolute cracker!!
Note to self, organise some fish this week, we do have a local fish delivery service.

1 Like

Last night we entertained another couple who are also keeping to themselves and live nearby - we avoided any physical contact and sat well apart at all times. No starter but we enjoyed the Pichon with slow-roast lamb and it lasted into the cheese. At 30 years of age it had no browning at the rim, bags of fruit on the palate along with soft tannins and a long finish. Credit both to the vintage and the wine-making.

16 Likes

I had a mildly spiced fish curry with rice on Friday and steak and chips yesterday with the wines below…

…the Alsace PG on the left is from 2017. Aromatic and perfumed with bruised pears, peach, musk and a hint of orange oil on the nose. Less complex on tasting, dry but rounded flavours, orchard fruits, citrus and a saline quality, likely derived, from its notably fresh acidity. It would have been better paired with a simpler blander meal though.

The Cabernet Malbec blend ( 2015 ) from Great Southern in Western Australia paired well with the steak ( perfectly cooked for once ). Blackberries, red plums and spice on the fruit forward nose. Surprisingly elegant red and black berry flavours on tasting, medium body, good ripeness but nothing overtly sweet or jammy, integrated oak notes add depth and a touch of complexity. Acidity, not tannins, provided structure. A slightly astringent, medium length, finish kept me coming back for another refill.

As a creature of habit, I would normally drink a St-Jo with steak but this worked just as well.

Edit - I can’t compete with the culinary skills of others here but FWIW here’s a pic of the curry.

… portion control isn’t my strongest suit !

14 Likes

I think that is possible with self-isolation many of us will soon (with each others help), get much better at cooking.
Maybe recipes using canned goods might be welcome!
Oh and by the way, Happy Mothers Day to all of those long-suffering heroines out there!:bouquet::bouquet::bouquet:

10 Likes

opened this just now and is delicious straight after pouring. Has a rustic edge, but is so satisfying right now… will have to put the eto out of sight. Malbec is a bit like Rioja to me… in that there is sublime stuff if you are willing to spend.

7 Likes

Only the 2 of us here today. Rest of family adhering to the advice and staying home. Opened this today. Wonderful Corsican red. this is at the top of my budget but felt I needed something special just as a pick me up
Strong, rugged and robust. Good fruit and strong tannins. Long and lingering finish. Having it with home made steak pie and roasted veg. po

14 Likes

A wise move. Alternatively for a fish that size just roast it whole (gutted clearly with fins and tail trimmed, head off for the squeamish!). Cut the skin right round the perimeter with a sharp knife and it just peels off. A very little water in a roasting dish and a decent sized fish will roast in about 20-25 minutes. It means you get all the meat! Butter and herb sauce and spuds is all you need.

10 Likes

Or fillet it, surprisingly easy for flat fish. Use the bones and anything else you cut off to make a stock that you can use in the sauce.

2 Likes

Filleted and bones used :slightly_smiling_face: just left the skin on intentionally but the dark side wasn’t nice eating so off it comes next time.

I considered roasting whole but fancied playing with knives for a while heheh

7 Likes

Welsh rarebit for lunch with the leftovers of an ill-advised second bottle last night, a Chateauneuf du Pape Blanc.

Nice, but not the most interesting wine tbh. Touch of chalkiness on the finish which is nice, just enough lemony acidity to keep things together, but not loads happening on the palate. Dunno, might get better with age? Or might get flabby. In either case, a workable lunchtime wine or second bottle on a night.

12 Likes

I really enjoy the challenge of prepping a Dover Sole.
Trimmed and skinless, ready for the pan.
And a good butter or garlic/butter sauce, crispy fried potatoes with a nice bottle of White Burgundy.
OMG!!

4 Likes

Have a bottle of Gravonia (2010) and a bottle of Bereche NV in the fridge for celebration.

Duck breast with butter bean and celeriac mash is what I’m aiming for food wise. I’m pondering my other Guy Breton Morgon 2016 as it was drinking so well a couple of weeks ago.

6 Likes

Though I really should play a game of “fine wine or brown water” with the zero providence 1980 Barolo.

7 Likes