01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Weekend drinking thread 1st-4th April

Old friends for dinner. Mrs M in charge of food.
Decided to open an Alsace grand cru magnum 2015. Wiebelsberg from Jean Pierre Rietsch. One of the top biodynamic boys.
It will be followed by two top value red Burgundies. A Gachot Monnot bourgogne from Chambolle vines and a Lummp 1er cru Givry.

O

32 Likes

Flute magnums make me far more happy than they should.

21 Likes

Saw a Pepe Mendoza on the Spanish thread. Here’s another. Quite structured, red fruits, juicy, moreish, medium long, not obviously a Spanish garnacha. Better on day 2.

18 Likes

More like a double bassoons worth!

2 Likes

I had a friend who had a contrabass flute.

3 Likes

Must be a celebration somewhere that I can claim to be part of so this (2003) should go down well with my ribeye and Mrs N’s fillet !

30 Likes

I’ve been left alone at home for the weekend whilst my wife takes our 5 year old to visit her brother in London.
Well not technically true as I have been left with the beast…

So not sure how much of this I’ll drink tonight.

Savennières ‘La Jalousie’, Domaine du Closel 2015
£26 back in 2017
Drink dates 2017-2020 13.5%

Whoa! This is fantastic!
Subtle spicy oak, great richness and intensity, honey, apples, long.

36 Likes

Savennieres - possibly my favourite still white wine. Especially with some bottle age.

4 Likes

Couldn’t recommend this highly enough. No sign of falling over. Was bottled with a DIAM 3.
Expensive but sometimes you need a treat cos it’s Friday.

7 Likes

Dinner was demolished without the aid of wine to wash it down as I fancied drinking this tonight…

…a Maximin Grunhauser Abtsberg Riesling Spatlese 2014.

Still a youthful greenish yellow colour. The floral, honeyed, mineral nose is hard to pin down fruit-wise but it’s unmistakably riesling. Equally hard to describe on tasting. Light as a feather but with good depth of flavour, essentially a combination of delicacy. finesse and intensity, lovely balance between fresh acidity and piquant honeyed fruit with a tingling finish that dances on the tongue. And virtuous too at 7.5% ABV :smile:

Have a great weekend everyone.

29 Likes

Ohhh! Surely not. Butter wouldn’t melt…

Did the Savennieres disappear yet?

6 Likes

We’re on a bottle of some of this for tonight - a 2015 Familia Deicas Gran Bodegón; had with some braised beef cheeks in red wine sauce.

I really want/ed to like this, and had set it aside as a possible wine to buy more of as an anniversary wine to mark the birth of our second boy. And yup, it’s not bad. But just a bit underwhelming if truth be told.

It just seems slightly out of kilter to my tastes - a bit too much oak and not quite enough fruit. Also a curious slightly medicinal taste somewhere to it; almost green olive, but just a bit more than green olive. It’s improved a bit with time open in a decanter, but no surprise there given it’s 40% tannat.

We’ll come back to it again tomorrow night and see if more time open in a closed bottle helps it.

As it’s a Friday night after a long old week at work, I’ve not given up however. I’ve opened an old favourite Sicilian white which I know tickles my fancy every time. Probably one with as much an emotional connection to past trips there for work as the wine itself, but I love it - a Tasca Catarratto; was called Antisa but now called Buonsenso. Just a matter of getting the boy to bed - he’s as much a nightbird as his dad - and then I shall sit down to enjoy a glass or two of this minerally dry evocative beauty; grown quite high up and a different beast to the flabby Catarrattos too often to be had:

15 Likes

2/3rds down. Fingers crossed now for an uninterrupted sleep :pray:

11 Likes

Finished off the Bellavoine 2018 from last night early doors, then opened a Bohorquez Reserva 2010.

I know this wine has a few fans on the forum, it’s a cracker, and perhaps a little more together than the last bottle we had about a year ago.

28 Likes

Had two good friends over for dinner last night. Cooked lamb shoulder from the local butcher. Divine.
Also some duck rillettes. To start with and cheese from last weekends trip to Paris.

The wines were these:

I love the feel and taste of the wonderful Riesling. Decanted the rioja 4-5 hours before drinking and it was a good accompaniment to the lamb.

Have a good weekend all.

17 Likes

The line up for tonight and tomorrow

The Cava and Fonbel via TWS, and the Soave from a local independent.

16 Likes

I had a nice surprise last night I drank TWS District 7 Monterey Pinot Noir. For the money it was very good needed a hour in the decanter but as the evening passed the wine got better and better. Silky smooth great Pinot nose not to over blown like some of the NZ wines. The best thing about this wine is the value for money amazing well done TWS.
Lawrence

14 Likes

La Rioja Alta Viña Arana Reserva, Rioja 2011.
Very good Rioja indeed, quite a lot of vanilla and oak but after giving it some air the fruit came through. Well balanced and an elegant wine.

20 Likes

The serious nip in the air calls for comforts of all kinds. On the food and wine front this means Confit Duck and roast spuds with a bottle of this Corbières:

Cellier Des Demoiselles, Château De Durfort Corbières, 2019

A lovely hug of a wine! A blend of 60% Grenache and 40% Syrah grown on schist, it is opaque (practically ‘black’!) in the glass with vivid magenta hues on the rim. The nose has brooding notes of spiced plums, blackcurrants, incense smoke but with a touch of menthol/medicinal freshness.

Smooth and velvety on the palate, it has notes of blackberry jam, plums and dark cherries coupled with spice (black pepper, clove), smokiness and a fresh menthol lift on the finish. It struts its stuff, for sure, but feels harmonious and well-balanced all the same. A lovely find (I so often forget about Corbières!), which will be a re-purchase perhaps when (real) winter is here again.

Happy weekend one and all! :slightly_smiling_face: :clinking_glasses:

25 Likes

Tonight I made the recent Guardian recipe ( Thomasina Mires) for Wild Garlic mac&cheese. We drank this white Vacqueyras with it , enough acidity to cut through the richness of the cheese and a reasonable depth for as yet a young wine , to bring it’s rich full tropical fruit melange into focus.

20 Likes