01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Weekend drinking thread [18-20 October 2019]

weekend

A beaucastel 99 tonight so together and cool, it a Brian Ferry of a wine.
Not the best year but always offered great drinking, the VT is great too. I think we’re going to get along.
Rib eye and chips on the way.

This evening started with some figs baked with goat’s cheese, honey and walnuts, accompanied by this lovely Petite Arvine:

Strangely, we both said ‘toothpaste!’ when we tasted it - which, deconstructed, means ‘how fresh, herbal and zesty the palate is!’… this is a well-made wine, offering an interesting mix of stone and citrus fruit, herbs and a touch of spice on the finish. My only gripe was that it lacked a bit of the usual PA acidity. Nevertheless, it worked well with the figs :ok_hand::ok_hand:

The main event is a game stew, which will be accompanied by a wonderful 2014 Chinon:

Bought as a present for the other half some time ago, this is made by Couly-Dutheil, from their ‘Clos de L’Echo’ vineyard and is just superb! Deep ruby, the nose offers pencil shavings, tobacco, cedar, stewed cherries and an appetising smokiness. The palate unfolds slowly, moving from dark, stewed fruit to liquorice, tobacco, smoked paprika and violets, and ends on a crescendo of dried herbs. Chalky tannins and medium acidity frame this beautifully , and the finish is long. It’s a savoury, multifaceted and elegant Cabernet Franc… impossible not to enjoy! The husband says it tastes ‘silver’. You heard it here first! :heart_eyes:

Happy weekend! :clinking_glasses:

Veggie shepherd’s pie with a bottle of this old vine (over a 100 years old) carignan, picked up from Averys in Bristol as a bin-end. A touch of smart oak with dense brambly fruit and good freshness.

Finished the Pernand Vergelesses Rouge Domaine Rollin 2006, which I have to say is delightful. Half was decanted to a half bottle filled to the rim and screw top fastened securely (a poor man’s Coravin) … Fresh as a daisy and a delight to drink.

Also started on the 2016 Wirsching Scheurebe… might be my first Scheurebe. SB aromatics with no hint of cat’s piss… a winner. I’ll keep buying his mixed case. Also the bottle looks NOT like a normal wine bottle, so easier to store in the fridge without the funny looks.

Tonight blackberry and blackcurrant with a faint whiff of menthol on the nose. To taste, the bitter hints have vanished completely and it’s full of quite sweet dark fruits. Very good.

In Napoli for the weekend so felt compelled to try this while in a seafood restaurant. Grown and made on one of the islands in the bay, another Italian grape I’ve never heard of - Biancollella.

Though warned it was slightly off-dry by the restaurant manager, it was actually bone dry with a slightly rich edge. Great match for grilled scamorza and greens then yellow tomato, trofie and pecorino. Kind of Sauvignon Blanc like, but a touch less acidity a hint of nuttiness.

Oops, forgot to include the photo. It’s not too clear so added one with a flash.

Fell asleep on the sofa with these on the go. Suspect they will both improve with a little air, so will report back tomorrow.

Do let us know how it was please. And five more is not to be sneezed at.

For me Raspail-Ay needs at least a decade and preferably more. The alcohol level these days puts me off a bit, though.

After a pleasant two hour ride yesterday afternoon I had quite an appetite afterwards. Today’s intended dinner, roast lamb and steamed veg, was brought forward a day to accommodate…

…the 2010 vintage was one of the most disappointing wines I’ve tried this year. The fruit was too sweetly ripe and their was nothing in the way of structure to support it. It tasted like a cloying dry port and I couldn’t finish it. Maybe my sole bottle was an aberration. Anyway, I was hoping this would be better, a lot better. Thankfully it was, phew !

Perfumed aromatic nose of cassis, black fruits, cedar, spice and polished leather was eminently sniffable. Lovely weight and depth of flavour on the initial taste. Intensity of flavour then built as the juice soaked into the taste buds. Ripe, yet fresh, savoury, integrated flavours similar to the notes on the nose. Powdery tannins provided the grip and structure to support, finishing with delicious complexity and very good length. This did not disappoint.

Cigar-box was one of the descriptors TWS used in the notes to describe it. Having never smelt, let alone, licked one, I have no idea what that aroma / flavour is. Tobacco-y I guess !

Have a lovely day everyone. Looking forward to reading more tomorrow.

I can very much appreciate your approach but for me this is one that still drinks well now though better with more years and, as I have a few more bottles and, sadly, no older ones, I thought I’d indulge myself! As for the alcohol level your comment made me scuttle off to look at the bottle and I confess I was surprised to see 15% as it really didn’t strike me as being that high; little in the way of heat to my taste.

I’ll second that; I took one of the Pernand Vergelesses Rouge Domaine Rollin 2006 around to friends on Friday to go with some duck… quite lovely.

Much nicer (in my opinion) than the Cotes de Nuits Villages Domaine Denis Bachelet 2008 I had yesterday.

Tonight, I shall try the Gevrey Chambertin en Pallud Domaine Maume 2010.

Had a half of 2008 Ridge Montebello that was waiting for an occasion, decided to not wait longer for an occasion. It is very good, rich, still a lot of fruit, but definitely not one dimensional. As usual I am shit at explaining this, but would happily own a lot more of this… not at the immoral price tag though.

Will have Prawn and chorizo linguine with some Tokara white later. My favourite Southern Hemisphere SB (blend) right now.

I only noticed it a little on the finish; otherwise beautifully balanced I thought.

Spent the afternoon at Cantina del Vesuvio - tour of the vineyards and winery - small, family owned operation, followed by an afternoon meal accompanied by all their wines.

More grapes I’ve never heard of (Caprettone and Piedirosso - white and red respectively) with a splash of Aglianico thrown in to the Rosso Superiore.

No tasting notes I’m afraid. Nothing particularly mind blowing but all good quality, the highlights were the rose and the Rosso superiore. A very pleasant way to spend Sunday afternoon.

Simple but tasty. Sweet warming fruit, nicely balanced, good with a pasta bake.

The Primeiras Vinhas needs a long time - at least 5 years, preferab;y ten!

Thanks. I will leave the other one then.

After a spell of ‘meh’ dull grey weather, this is a very welcome autumn Sunday evening wine (purchased as part of a £120 TWS mixed Italian fine wines half case). Velvety, rich, a touch of balanced tannin, typically Italian bitter cherry edge, surprisingly little perfume - this wine is all about taste. £16, and easily worth it - this will kick into touch many Barolo’s, Chianti’s & Chateau 9 DP costing double.

With potato & spring onion, rich beef skirt braise from the freezer. Pretty damn fine !