01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Weekend Drinking Thread 16-18 October 2020

If I’ve missed it, apologies, but I can’t believe we’ve gotten to 8:30pm on a Friday without a weekend drinking thread?!

I entertained myself by baking a Fig, Marsala and Maple cake this afternoon:

And to chemically numb myself from the collective insanity that seems to be gripping the country, we opened a beautiful 2003 Spätlese (now sold out, I assume because of a favourable Jancis review and it being a low stock wine) whilst slow roasting some duck legs:

The Germans really know how to do a label, don’t they? Sensory overload of fresh petrol and orchard fruit. Floral (quince?) and then just a headlong leap into gorgeous, heady wildflowers and balanced sweetness and acidity.

And for the main event, a 2006 Chave Farconnet masquerading as an Exhibition Hermitage:

Juicy blackberry pastilles. Bacon. A whiff of bonfire. But just lovely balance - miles to go - but really in a lovely spot right now.

36 Likes

By most accounts too young, so “done a Toby.”

Will report back shortly.

20 Likes

I can’t wait to hear what you think of this, bought half a case and it’s proving difficult to be patient.

1 Like

Fabulous looking cake. Fabulous sounding wine. Great way to wind down the week.

We’re just enjoying one of these with a splash of tonic (there was an unsatisfying amount remaining in the bottle) to get us started.

16 Likes

After a long (and far less sedantary than usual) day moving inordinate quantities of stuff around, I collapsed and opened a bottle of 2010 Zind-Humbrecht Riesling Häuserer. I’ve been on a bad run of Alsace bottles recently, which this has comprehensively ended. More autumnal fruit than tropical, a nice layer of spice in the background and just enough acidity to balance it perfectly. Also did very well with my Welsh rabbit (too tired to cook).

9 Likes

Fish and chips with Taittinger this evening. Been a busy week so we deserve this.

16 Likes

Bottle of the house fizz to start the weekend… nothing terribly sophisticated but it didn’t last long!

13 Likes

Nice but needs air - very serious wine for the money. Very expressive nose, great depth of fruit, there is a bit of oak though. No hurry to drink if you have this EP.

19 Likes

It’s inadvertently been a bit of an Italian week in the kitchen here - I’ve ended up cooking pizza and risotto. Now we’ve started the weekend with something that’s a creation of Italian immigrants - cioppino - with Ernest Burn Sylvaner 2016.

Apples, pears, quince, rounded, and a bitter almond finish. I thought there was actually a bit of aniseed to pick out the fennel in the sauce, too, though maybe I just imagined it. A very good match, anyway. Happy Weekend!

21 Likes

Steak and chips tonight

With Guigal CdR 2016, from Waitrose not TWS (missed it all due to procrastination). A lovely nose and great with steak. Not particularly complicated, but it’s the end of a long week and I’m not in the mood for that anyway.

24 Likes

Another old bottle from the depths, and it’s absolutely delicious. Cono Sur 20 Barrel Merlot Rapel Valley 1999. Really didn’t expect much from this and I’m very impressed.

Almost black, with dark plum, damson and ripe blackberry aromas. Unfortunately a lot of sediment, leaving it a bit cloudy even after filtering. Very fresh and fruity in the mouth. Dark fruit with maybe a hint of mint in the background, and a pleasing, long, slightly raspberry finish. This is excellent!

17 Likes

With a Moroccan inspired chicken casserole ( by no means authentic so it would be inappropriate to call it a tagine )…

…a Colines Rhodaniennes ‘les Vignes d’a Cote’ from Cuilleron ( £16 ). I haven’t drank a Condrieu in many years but if they’re significantly better than this then I’m envious of those of you who have !

Sensual on the nose and palate. Full in flavour with bags of apricot and peach fruit, some blossom / floral notes on the nose, and subtle integrated oak and a buttery texture on tasting ( I thought it was more mealy the last time i tried it ). There was sufficient acidity to focus the richness and length of flavour was excellent. Delicious. Should TWS ever list the 2019 I’ll reorder in an instant.

Have a great weekend everyone.

22 Likes

@Brocklehurstj, we had a steak night, too!

We got ours on the Two Can Dine for £12 from M&S, including a rather nice 2019 Cabernet Sauvignon from the Languedoc Roussillon. Very fruity and fresh, almost like a New World. It had a pepperiness that reminded me of Chilean examples.

Last night was also a Face Wine with the cousins, so we felt obliged to open a federation standard bottle of 2019 South Eastern Australian Shiraz from Lidl. Bold and spicy, it delivered exactly what it said on the bottle.

Now, what to have tonight? :thinking:

Thinking of duck. Will update in due course… :face_with_monocle:

14 Likes

A perennial favourite - just lovely with home-made lasagne

20 Likes

Had this Calabrese white last night while dining at Trullo. We liked it so much we ordered a second bottle. Reminds me of a Viognier, but lighter.

“Gently-pressed Mantonico grapes, fermented under controlled temperature, then put to rest in 30 hl acacia barrels on lees for 4 months, with subsequent bottle aging for 3 months.”

https://statti.com/it/vini/mantonico.php

12 Likes

Starting off the weekend with the Undurraga Candelabro Itata Cinsault 2019, an inexpensive Chilean red. Light and tasty, just what you need with weekend cooking (not in the food). Not complex, but satisfying nevertheless. The website reviews don’t do this wine much justice in my opinion.

13 Likes

This is a great wine, really good value and probably the only wine I’d actually admit that gets close to true Condrieu level.

1 Like

Trevallon blanc, disappointing on day 1, pretty good on day 2, obviously needs more time but not sure it’s really worth the money.

17 Likes

Thoroughly enjoyable new world pinot. Exuberant, with dark fruit to the fore. Not too sweet or ott. Smooth tannins give length to concentrated flavour. Really enjoyable, getting on for full bodied. Second half tonight, will post further if there are developments.
Anyone else with this in their stores should be pleased. I have one remaining.

17 Likes

Had this last night with my mum, my niece and her partner:

None of them are great wine drinkers and this went down a treat with them. It must be one of the most approachable and yet still interesting Bordeaux wines that I know. Just lovely smooth fruitiness. A regular for me.

Actually it was the '15 I had but as I bought it bin end from the Stevenage shop it’s not in My Wines.

16 Likes