01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Weekend Drinking Thread [15-17 March 2019]

Really looking forward to getting stuck into this later today:

Out for a BYO dinner tonight in Leeds tonight.
This is what is on offer so far
2009 Howard Park Cabernet Sauvignon Scotsdale
2013 Cloudy Bay Chardonnay
2010 Château Haut-Bages Libéral
2001 Château de Beaucastel Châteauneuf-du-Pape
Edit: For dessert
2014 Consorzio Produttori Vini Manduria Primitivo di Manduria Madrigale Dolce Naturale

We are going to try this tonight with pizza

Bought as part of the value case recently. We are focusing on Sangiovese at the moment so will be interested to taste this cheaper version of a supertuscan blend. Never had the real thing!

I’ve had this wine [previous vintage] many times, and it is delicious. Some of the new vintage coming in my next order with my golden bottle, sorry @Leah Enjoy.

Thought we’d have a couple of bottles of Petrus this evening…

…well this is the only Petrus I’ll be able to afford. Still looking forward to it.

Cauliflower and chickpea curry with this tonight.

Continuing the theme…

Thai red curry tonight, which should go pretty nicely with this:

No idea what is in store this evening. Off to a wine based Call My Bluff event. I fully expect to mid-identify all six wines that are on show.

Nothing for me tonight or tomorrow as I’m early shift driving trains, but off Sunday for a week. Planning on popping down to Streatham wine house to celebrate passing my WSET level 2 in wines and spirits which i did at the west London wine school (the same people who own and run west London wine school also run this bar)

Seeing as it’s a special occasion, I was thinking of giving this a try:

Maume Mazis-Chambertin Grand Cru, Burgundy, 2011

Any thoughts on this wine?

Rich.

Haven’t had that one, but was impressed by the 2008 Maume Gevrey-Chambertin en Pallud I had a couple of months ago, and was looking at the Domaine Maume wines in the 17 EP offer as a result.

Congratulations, and do let us know what you think!

Congratulations!
I have no experience with the wine but its name suggests a pretty fine glassful. Enjoy!

2011 was the last vintage before Maume was sold. Historically it was a Domaine that made traditional long lived wines which were somewhat difficult in their youth. However I think by 2011 they had moderated that approach and had become more user friendly without long ageing. I’ve only had the old regime wines which did indeed need time.

Thanks.

I’ll put my level 2 qualification into practice and try a WSET level 2 systematic tasting appraisal of this one.

rich

It’s the other half’s birthday today, so I thought we might as well combine it with Lil’ Riesling’s birthday and open a bottle of Dr Loosen NV Riesling Sekt, Extra Dry.

This is a Deutscher Sekt, bottle fermented and matured on its lees for 15 months; it’s got the tell-tale Riesling acidity, aromatic notes of fresh green apple, white flowers, stone fruit and a touch of biscuit too. Lovely sweet honeyed note on the finish and lively bubbles! Interestingly, it is filtered using the transfer method – which I think is used a lot in the New World? I might be wrong.

It is such a fantastic alternative to the usual Crémant and English fizz we tend to drink. I know I said this before, but it would be so good to see some well-made Sekt on TWS list! I can’t imagine that there won’t be any takers. For £20 a bottle – this is perhaps not cheap as some Crémant – but c’mon! It’s made of 100% Riesling! :heart_eyes:

Hope you’re all enjoying your Friday! Chin chin :clinking_glasses:

Bake off next?:cake:

Goodness me, no! :grimacing:
Though this is a yummy (and very easy) Malibu and lime cake from a Fiona Beckett book! :ok_hand:

Hope he enjoys his 9th birthday @Inbar :slight_smile: !

Ha ha! :rofl: you’re on to my dark tricks! Well, I couldn’t fit 54 candles, so did 5 + 4… Due to being 54, he didn’t even notice! :+1:

I thought maybe it was dog years! Still a youngster then…4 years younger than me anyway!

Just got this into the decanter. Mrs. AB has been away most the week. Celebrating her return!

'scuse the mess :roll_eyes: