01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Weekend drinking thread [14-16 September 2018]

weekend

It is the weekend folks… I will go through this bottle and undoubtedly at least another over the three nights.

I tried on opening and it just stopped me in my tracks. You honestly cannot feel the 29 years that passed. Wonderful cherry fruit, not in your face, very subtle tertiary flavours. Let’s see how it develops in glass.

What are you drinking this weekend.

Nebbiolo from northern Italy, Nervi Valferrana 2009. I thought it might be approachable but I should have realised that it’s Nebbiolo and as such probably needs much longer. Lovely ripe fruit and a spicy and slightly meaty edge but boy does it have some tannins. They really come back to bite you at the end. Better with food (it is Italian after all!). If I had another I’d leave it for a decade.

Sounds wonderful. Aged N Rhône here too. Some exciting developments at work so cracked open one I’d been saving for a good occasion

Violet loveliness. Smooth, long, beautiful

A red vinho verde.

@szaki1974

Great choice.
I drank the 1990 Thalabert (one bottle and one half bottle) far, far too early.
I am envious and I don’t say that too often! :drooling_face::laughing::wink:

Maybe a drop of the Les Jalets 2015 tonight.

I was incredulous… but red vinho verde is actually a thing! Do tell us how it is.

Never heard of it!!

It was a rather lucky auction purchase… might have hit the jackpot with this one

@szaki1974

I’ve got my fingers and toes crossed for you!! :crossed_fingers:

Domaine Soufradise Pouilly Fuissé 2014…

A beautiful luscious Chardonnay; very well integrated fruit, acidity and alcohol with a complexity of flavour.

I bought a bottle of the 2014 as a sneak preview of the 2016s coming via the burgundy EP.

My eldest son made a surprise visit this evening and left me an Allegrini Amarone, Corte Giara 2014. Looking forward to this tomorrow evening with a couple of beef skirts a la bavette + chips in goose fat…report Sunday probably.

Oh super jealous! How wonderful. A dreamy wine.

This was me tonight, with risotto:

Delicious! And much richer than I was expecting. Will have to get some more.

When I’ve finished the wines from #TWStaste of Thursday, I might think about something else!!

I was very taken by this wine and it’s made it into my EP basket for 3 years in a row with a couple of cases this year. TWS do sell it too, but it’s nice to know that you’ve secured what you really like.
Northern Rhone this weekend for me too, a Jaboulet 2010 Gigondas.

Based on last nights couple of glasses it could definitely become a firm favourite here too. Looking forward to seeing how it develops this evening as well. Just a little disappointed I only went for 6 bottles in the EP offer :cry:

The 2014 is drinking very nicely.

The large Game order we placed finally arrived this week, so tonight we’ll be having some wood pigeon breast in red wine sauce, with celeriac mash. Decided to open this to accompany it:

https://www.majestic.co.uk/wines/catena-malbec-40041
Malbec

It’s been a while since we had a Malbec, and Catena seems a reliable producer (I think they make the Society’s Exhibition Mendoza?). So very much looking forward to it!

Hope it’s sunny where you are (with a distinct autumnal feel!) :fallen_leaf::sun_with_face::clinking_glasses:

2014 is an exceptional vintage for white Burgundy. Sayingvyhat this Domaine is well regarded so most probably delivers the goods in poorer years, too.

Had the family round today for lunch. First time in a while. My sister brought round a Bollinger Special Cuvee. Very nice actually. You can see we have to rely on plastic flutes!

I’m always thinking about something else!

Both feeling under the weather, MrsP more than me. Even forced us to miss the Richmond half tomorrow which we were both looking forward to

So have done the only thing I can think of to cheer us up - pizza in the charcoal oven and a nice red from our last holiday. I know this one has a few fans in the community :slight_smile: