01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Weekend Drinking Thread 14-16 January 2022

Kick things off then shall I?

Basically Condrieu without the price tag.
Absolutely wonderful and ridiculous that I paid £13.50 for it.
But please don’t tell anyone.

24 Likes

Our kick-offs crossed… Maybe a mentor can sort us out

Jim

Already a strange reverse-order wine evening.

Started at 4pm, very unusually, with an old friend who’d given me the '91-bottled crusted port we’d had at Christmas. I’d been saving a couple of glasses to have with him and it was still good, fresh and sweet after three weeks, kept in the fridge, and went superbly with a plate of cheese.

Since we were on a sweet kick, and I’d opened a pot of chicken liver pate, I opened a half of Ulysses Sauternes that was also cluttering up the fridge. Delicious and such GV.

That reminded me I had a couple of glasses of Muscat de Beaumes-de-Venise in a jar, also opened on Christmas day. Astonishingly this was also going strong three weeks after opening and none the worse for its unglamorous container.

My wife should be home shortly and will probably want a glass of red and perhaps around 11pm we’ll finish that bottle of Fino I’ve been meaning to get round to.

Leftovers don’t count re dry January, do they?

Jim

22 Likes

https://www.thewinesociety.com/product/gewurztraminer-grand-cru-kessler-domaines-schlumberger-2016-al16191a1

Tangerines and Turkish delight, fresh for the variety at least and an absolute bargain! Not overblown but perfectly balanced. On my next order, when capacity allows.

24 Likes

I love it when an aroma ‘takes you to a place’. This takes me back to midnight in Seville, staggering around the Sherry bars of the old town during the fiesta. It has to be one of my favourite places in the world. Tapas as you go, jasmine in the air, I’m getting emotional. THANKS ALOT, wine.

It’s wonderfully fresh. Bready but with a potent twang. A terrific volatility. Should I have some more? I could have some more…

26 Likes

Bottle 2 of 12. First one opened Dec 2020. I must say I was not impressed with that.
Now though, wow! Concentrated without being heavy and great definition.Started with high acid and some green notes, herbaceous finish. After 3h it has unfolded to what I say is a wine that is a marvel from Alfred Tesseron. Cassis, marzipan, dark fruit, mineral, graphite. Mainly primary at 14 years old, extremely dark colour with no signs of ageing. Tannins are integrated, still lively but not harsh. The finish is not very long at this point but I feel this wine is about 10-15 years away from peak. Easily a wine to drink with my boys in 20 years time.
The nose is absolutely second to none. I would be surprised if I taste a 2008 Bordeaux that will top this off.

26 Likes

A fab fizz

16 Likes

Drinking a rather dull bottle of Graves from the Christmas Whites case

https://www.thewinesociety.com/product/drapeaux-de-floridene-blanc-graves-2018

And feeling very uninspired by it. I’ve started it so I guess I’ll carry on, but I doubt I’ll remember much more than “Don’t buy this again”. It’s okay for drinking with some food, but rather in the way that drinking a bottle of mineral water would be. This is the only white Bordeaux I’ve had for I don’t know how many years and it will probably be a good while till the next one.

(On reflection I’m not including sweet whites in this).

5 Likes

A bit of Japanese-inspired experimentation here in the kitchen this evening. I cooked miso-glazed cod, with grilled nori-wrapped prawns, wilted Morning Glory, rice, a soy-cured egg yolk, and a fish, rice wine and wasabi sauce (the yolk burst just as I took the photo :frowning: ). We drank Mittnacht Frères Riesling, Grand Cru Osterberg, 2014.

There’s still lots of fresh fruit, but also a powerful and mouth-filling minerality. While it’s absolutely a dry wine, you can feel a touch of sugar to round out the palate and the bracing acidity, and there’s all of the length that’s typical of the terroir. Very fresh for its age, which seems to be characteristic of the vintage - it’s one that will keep if you choose, but is drinking beautifully now.

Happy Weekend!

31 Likes

Channeling the excitement for the Rhone EP and checking out the 2017 vintage of the Deponcins Viognier to check it’s still worth an order.

With (allotment grown) pumpkin risotto and prawns. The wine is lovely. Full, rich, peachy and floral.

25 Likes

I’m not going to post the photos of home-made pork and chorizo burgers because, again, Robert has won the food photo award. Brilliant presentation.

https://www.thewinesociety.com/product/kekfrankos-sebestyen-2019-szekszard

Very pleasant, real plum notes (the slight astringency as you bite into a slightly under-ripe plum, if I’m being specific), oak, black pepper. A wine to sip and savour but possibly too much of a thinking wine for a Friday night. Hope everyone has a lovely weekend!

12 Likes

My account says this cost me £10.50 and if so this has got to be the best value wine I’ve ever had from the society. Half mature Bordeaux, half young nebbiolo. Black fruit, leafy, tar… A lot going on for absolute peanuts! Sadly OOS but I’d punt on anything else from this producer on the strength of this.

Happy weekend everyone

26 Likes

Only 3 left after this bottle. Every one has been a belter.

Everything prepped for guests tomorrow and some grander wines lined up but if any match this then I’ll be a happy chappy.

20 Likes

I’m assuming that’s a half bottle

1 Like

Strangely not! Reidel Bordeaux glass, standard size bottle and a poor photograph!

2 Likes

Needed that. Local Portuguese Restaurant was an odd experience. It was empty bar us and a table of 20 Portuguese men. Food was very good but the portions were approximately twice what a regular human needs (I am FAR too full).

Wine wise we started with something I’d never contemplated could possibly exist. A sparkling Touriga Nacional rose brut. It was delicious, really well balanced with red fruit and bags of acidity (and at a fiver a glass one of the best value glasses of fizz I’ve ever had out).

I selected practically at random an Adega Mayor Reserva do Comendador Branco from the Alentejo region. I chose it because it was made entirely from grapes I’d never knowingly drunk before (always difficult to tell with Portuguese wine because of the ridiculous numbers of grapes that they have in their field blends). Antão Vaz, Arinto and Roupeiro. While the menu was keen to tell us what grapes were in everything, there were zero indications of vintage anywhere so I was both excited and slightly worried when a 2011 turned up. Cheap Portuguese whites can age really well.

Thankfully this did. very ripe tropical fruits and cream on the nose with ever so slight oxidation. This all followed through in the mouth where it was lovely and rich with plenty of tropical flavours and stone fruit with nuts and honey carried through by plenty of acidity. If this wine were in a different restaurant or from a different country, they’d probably have put a 1 in front of the price we paid for it. It was pretty spectacular. I genuinely don’t know whether this was on purpose or they’d literally just had this wine in their cellar since it was young and not sold any, either way at £43 in a London restaurant it was an unbelievable bargain.

The deli across the road which may or may not be related has the 2013 on its website for £20 and Portugal Vineyards has the 2018 for £15. I may need to investigate.

22 Likes

Sounds about right. That would be the case in any restaurant in Portugal where the locals eat.

1 Like

It was very much that, except in Little Portugal rather than actual Portugal.

If it was on Clapham High Street/Brixton Market instead, it’d have been half the portion and a fiver a dish more expensive (and still reasonable) and Jay Rayner would rave about how good it was and how it’d be so lauded and cost a lot more if it were in Shoreditch of Hackney (which in all fairness he has about the best of the row Portuguese places in the arches up by Vauxhall Station).

1 Like

I used to go to one in Vauxhall long time ago and the atmosphere was always the same. A large table with men eating non stop and watching the football, some families and a few couples looking for a date and good food. Very simple setting and presentation but true flavours.

1 Like

That’s very kind - thank you :slight_smile: Pork and chorizo burgers sound yummy, though. Is the chorizo minced in with the pork, or chopped, or something else?

1 Like