01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Weekend drinking thread [13-15 Sept 2019]

I am going round to a friends house for dinner tomorrow, he has informed me we will be having Greek style lamb shanks for dinner. In terms of the bottle I take with me shall I go with Villa de Corullon Bierzo 2015 or Le Vigne Sandrone Barolo 2012? As for tonight I am booze free, saving myself for tomorrow when we have a babysitter!

Dinner of hake with tomato, olive and caper sauce, and Dirler-Cadé Vielles Vignes Sylvaner 2016.

From old vines partly on the Kessler Grand Cru, and a super example of the grape. Apples and ripe pear nose; fresh and dry, but with a bit of roundness and peach; some bitter almonds and an almost tannic grip to the finish. Yum!

The last of my supply of 2015 Jufark and, no surprise, the best. Rich, almost meaty, evolved, delicious. Preceded by a half of Bollinger SC which was as good as you’d want.

TWS wines at our monthly wine appreciation society tasting. Good start to weekend

I completely agree, mines all gone now but what a great wine :+1:

Friends over for dinner this evening; the guys were comparing homebrews, but beforehand we all enjoyed Bruno Sorg Cremant d’Alsace NV for our aperitif:

https://www.buonvino.co.uk/cremant-d-alsace-bruno-sorg

Fresh, zingy, yeasty, apply, biscuity Cremant - delicious, and worked suprisingly well with an Indian watermelon and feta chaat salad!

The husband made an aubergine and dhal curry for the main, and rather than try a Gewurztraminer on the uninitiated, I opted for a citrus-y and delicately floral Torrontes:

This went down very well with the ladies!

Cheese cake dessert was followed by a 2016 Leyrissat Montbazillac from Waitrose - a fragrant, honeyed and marmalade-y number, which made everyone happy, even the homebrew monsters…! :smile::+1:

Happy weekend :clinking_glasses:

Last bottle of another Sorg wine, the 2016 Pinot Blanc. Nice as ever, though I probably like this grape most in its Italian incarnation where it is less overtly floral. And the 2017 Petite Arvine from Crotta di Vegneron - one-dimensional and disappointing after the delicious 2016. Really should stop buying whites from warm vintages.

Oz Clark with some German wines this morning.
Kleine Kapelle Pinot Grigio
Kalkstein Sauvignon Blanc
Johann Wolf Pinot Noir.

The PN came out top.

Smooth, quite fruity and still showing some subtle tannins. Not bad for £12.50 but lacks that bit of excitement. Should drink nicely with both food and on its own.

The Ferreira 10 Year Old Tawny Port is a relic of our last trip to Porto (back last Thursday!), so half drunk already. Tasting details on application -

The 2012 Ch. Peyredon Lagravette was on the Society’s list until recently, and is IMHO great VFM for a Cru Bourgeois claret.

The 1995 Hermitage, “La Sizeranne” (M. Chapoutier) is for tonight with some slow-cooked beef. Originally rather strict (those 1995 tannins) this wine has now relaxed and the last one I had a year or so ago was in a good place. We’ll see.

(Edited to add - 2012 claret? Should read 2010!!!. Just opened it.)

Great dinner party with close friends last night.

The Petite Arvine …

and the Nebbiolo …

were particularly delicious!

We’re drinking an old friend today (metaphorically speaking!) - a 2017 L’Orangeraie Cabernet Franc, from the Languedoc:

The 2016 was one of the first wines I bought when I joined the Society, based on recommendation from this lovely community - so we got a soft spot for it. For under a tenner, it’s still one of the other half’s most ‘cuddly’ Cab Franc wines, and despite lacking a little in the floral department, it is generous in fruit and texture.

Tobacco, fresh soil, mulberry and black cherries on the nose, as well as some jalapeño. Delicious and quaffable, this has bramble and cherries flavour, with lively acidity and very mellow tannins. Despite being 14% ABV (the 2016 had 12.5% ABV!), there is nothing out of kilter here. Not a Loire copy - this is its own thing, and we love it.

Should go nicely with some Mexican fajitas! We hope. :crossed_fingers:

Those magnums are great to have about if there’s a crowd! :clinking_glasses:

Not bad for a sub £10 Greek wine. Loads of apple and lime, floral finish.

This is an absolutely gorgeous Burgundy, beautifully balanced, with ripe cherries and a lovely, long finish. Although it was £25, for the quality, it was an absolute bargain and beats pretty well all of the New World, equivalents that I have tried, within a similar price range. Who said that there are no bargain Burgundies anymore?

The Society’s description was, if anything, too understated but glad that I plumped for it.

There were six of us, two who were doing a Parkrun this morning, and one on a diet, so most of this was drunk by just three of us, and only one of the Sauternes is in the picture … :flushed:

I made a trip to my local M&S this week to see if could pick up a crazy bargain, but there weren’t any in that particular store. I took a punt on a bottle of Banfi Amicus Toscana 2017 with 1/3 off down to the awesomely historic price of £10.66 hoping to find something resembling Villa Antinori.

It is a bit like Antinori would be if you removed the intensity and balance. I’d be mortified if I’d paid the full £16 for this, but it’s alright to go with Bolognese I suppose.

Oh dear! A bit like the “SW Australia” moniker, Toscana sounds like it’s anyone’s guess what you are going to get.

This was a clean and fresh simple rose. Bougrier seem to make great inexpensive wines. Personally prefer the fruitier and sweeter Rosé D’Anjou, but this is good vfm.

Glass of M&S Justino’s 10y/o Malmsey picked up for a fiver. Great bargain obviously, I’d normally choose Bual or Sercial, but no complaints! :wink:

After a substantially larger than usual family lunch I’m just settling down to a camembert sandwich, washed down with a couple of glasses of white Vieille Ferme 2017. I’ve said it before, this is not an extraordinary wine but it’s very fresh, slightly greenish, exceptional value, and always good to drink. When you don’t want to push the boat out but just want a nice glass of wine, you could do a lot worse.