01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Weekend drinking thread (12th to 14th March 2021)

Tonight we’re having this sparctic trout, a cross between an American brook trout and an Arctic char. Stunning colours.

This week in particular it seemed appropriate to have this with it.

40 Likes

OK here we go for a fizzy Friday night…
Chartogne Taillet cuvée St. Anne. Always a TWS sell out.
Mostly 2017 and blend of the usual suspects.
Owner says vineyards are horse ploughed with no herbicides. Disgorge 5gm/l bottled Jan 2018.
Lovely mousse, pale lemon, elegant, richly aromatic. Goes very well with duck liver pâté.
Great start to the weekend.

26 Likes

Hi @Andrew1990, there was already a weekend thread going, so I merged the two - hope that’s OK :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Spicy King prawn Bucatini in the works as I type alongside this one. Must say its still decanting but with the out of bottle first taste of this and what I can only call an intense explosion of fruit & aroma I have immediately gone and added the 2018 vintage to my reserves. There goes my no more buying wine for March promise!!! A beautiful Grenache but it is complex and full of almost citrus but with a gentle touch… a great explosion one the nose… ! Yum!

23 Likes

Oops sorry folks I missed that.

1 Like

Keeping things simple this weekend, with Society’s own labels … Sicilian for pizza night and Zinfandel with burgers and all the bbq trimmings tomorrow

24 Likes

Quite a bit of oak upfront. Let’s see if it mellows with air.

30 Likes

That vintage is a beauty but really needs another 5-10 years :roll_eyes:!

6 Likes

Glass of M & S Fino to start the weekend, followed by finishing off a TWS favourite with some posh mac’n’cheese with added chorizo bits. We think this red’s going on the weekday drinking list for sure. Very easy going and drinkable. Happy weekend everyone :grinning: :wine_glass:

28 Likes

Happy drinking! Love that red. Another pizza night favourite of ours, which helped us get out of a bit of a supermarket Malbec rut. Cheers

1 Like

Starting the weekend at long last.

The white was in my mystery box and the red is a delicious Fitou that I’m looking forward to later.

Happy weekend everyone!

22 Likes

This is slipping down like a wet otter and I think it’s just as well. I’m cooking fajitas for dinner and I think it would get lost in all that spice later on.
Dark cherry fruit, sweet spices and what I can only pin down as Haribo cola bottles. Happily in the drinking window but with more potential.
Happy Saturday everyone.

Edit: It is Friday :dizzy_face:

39 Likes

I am minded to agree - have a suspicion the portion that goes in the eto for a day will be better. If drinking now I think it just needs a good decant.

5 Likes

The colour of that Burgundy is stunning! Hope it’s as good as it looks :+1:

3 Likes

My final bottle of 7 of this. One was corked but all in all, it’s been a good ride.
24 Likes

Very interested that you decanted it. Each to his own but may I ask you why you decanted it?

Antech 2017 first up, fantastic stuff - really delightful nose and well balanced, will certainly be getting more.

Now onto the bin 008 manseng noir which I must admit I’m finding quite… ordinary? Nice and surprisingly rich rich nose but the palate is very flat. The nose actually reminds me of a durif but none of the punch in the mouth.

24 Likes

Opened another of these…

great stuff, wish I’d got some more in this year’s Rhone EP.

23 Likes

a well known favourite here…lots of red fruit and that Mediterraneany herby stuff

27 Likes

Tonight: Mouton Cadet, year unimportant, tenner from Morrisons. Funny thing but I’m sure it used to cost around £16 a few years back, and was worth the extra cash.

To my recollection it used to be THE great standby for drinkable claret - always delivered, never that complicated. BUT it was consistently acceptable at a time when Claret varied hugely in quality (and was often awful).

This bottle is … nice… OK even. None of the cassis / blackcurrant of yesteryear. Moral of this story, never revisit your youth.

25 Likes