01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Weekend drinking thread [12th- 14th July 2019]

Summertime, and Ernest Burn Sylvaner 2016 to accompany tuna Niçoise tonight.

The house style is rounded but balanced, and this exemplifies it. Apples and pears on the nose, with a hint of almonds. Fruity in the mouth - ripe apples again, acidity to counteract the ripeness, and the bitterness typical of sylvaner developing through the finish, making it very friendly for food. A very happy start to the weekend.

Pleased to report this is excellent. Perfect with a spicy pizza. Suspect it will also be a great BBQ favourite.

This with braised pork shoulder in cider and shallots with new potatoes and baby carrots and broad beans.

Great match. An intense Riesling, not at all austere as some Alsace can be at this stage. Fruit went really well with the cider sauce.

Also opened this:

Perfectly acceptable Pinot Noir, quite true to type without making me want to go out and buy it again.

Both went well with some cheese afterwards. We didn’t test them against lemon meringue pie and fresh rasps…that would have been a bit challenging…didn’t want a sweet wine.

Classy fino. Interesting review here. Looking forward to trying the other two.

Picked this Orange Gewurtztraminer up from Norman Hardie on a pre order but still to be officially released. Very different and in the usual Hardie style where the terroir really comes to the fore. Slightly floral with a bitterness that comes from the skin contact. Very refreshing and unusual wine.

I like the look of your wine rack, Mark.

It’s World Cup weekend, so my equally cricket crazy friend & myself shall be enjoying some decent bottles…

Berry Bros outstanding 2015 Pomerol,
a birthday gift Rioja GR 2001 Finca Manzanos
Tomorrow…
2005 Bosconia & 2007 La Rioja Alta 904.

If all goes well then theres a couple of bottles of Bollinger chilling.

Pasta, pesto and salad with a half of this:

Then this Kabinett which were very much looking forward to:

Ha ha that’s not mine, just a photo of the wine lifted from Cellartracker. Don’t think I would be allowed that much room for a rack as I already have a large ageing cabinet…

Not sure I’d want that many bottles being subjected to kitchen temperatures either!

The PC Chablis (it’s 2015 actually) is better for a night in the eto. Still missing a bit of tension but lots of lemon, proper wet stone and it leaves the mouth with a struck match note. Still have no idea why M&S ever went for this.

The butcher has started cutting some beef picanha, so I decided to try cooking some on the barbecue, with a salt and sichuan pepper rub:

We drank the 2015 of this Rizzi Langhe Nebbiolo.

I’m no expert on nebbiolo and the wines of Piedmont, but I’ve always very much enjoyed the ones I’ve drunk, and this was no exception. I thought that it might take some opening out, but actually it was pretty accessible from the get-go. A definite tarry edge to the dark fruit, nice acidity, quite firm but not overly so, and tannins to work with the meat (which I will cook again for sure - the perfect BBQ cut). Very decent value at £14.95.

A lovely chilled out evening in our rented flat in Copenhagen, after a long day out swimming. Roasted some vegetables to go with pasta and red pesto, and opened this 2017 Frappato (brought from home):

Compared to other Frappato we like, this was a tad unusual - very perfumed, like a hit of violets, or pot-pourri, as well as black cherries, plums, clove and liquorice. On the palate it had pleasant bakewell tart, baking spices and damson notes. Lively acidity and smooth tannins, but an aftertaste which was a bit hard to pin down. Not unpleasant, but had nicer Frappato. Worked well with the food, mind you, so can’t complain!

Happy weekend, all! :sunglasses: :clinking_glasses:

Oh well, it was a nice rack anyway. :laughing:

@Robin63 - you may be interested to take a look at Tahbilk’s vintage maturity tables -
Tahbilk wine vintages

They reckon this wine starts entering its period of maturity after around 15 years.

Now it’s under screwcap, it really does go on maturing reliably well, despite the fact it is delicious from the word go. A bit of a marvel really!

Interesting chart. What happened in 1989?

Clearly I do need to buy more! Many thanks for this.

This arrived with my friend, and very nice it was too.

I’ve no idea to be honest. Presumably it was a poor year in Victoria as all the wines are showing as past it, and none of their premium lines were released.

Three this weekend. Firstly, TWS’s Chilean Pinot Noir.

Inexpensive PN is often so unrewarding. I surprised myself with this one which is neither harsh nor over-extracted. It actually has that lovely sapidity that PN always ought to have. To be sure, it’s no DRC at this price, but a good purchase by the society’s buyers - well done!

The Gauby is in a very nice place right now - it is very fragrant, complex and well balanced, and the carignan tannins have learned some good manners!

The Paulett Riesling is for this evening, and one of a couple of bottles I bought from the Society offered with 5 years cellar age on them. This is usually a good time to try Clare Valley rieslings, as they still have some youth, whilst showing some of the bottle-aged maturity they should ultimately come to. We’ll see.