01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Weekend drinking thread [12 to 14 August 2022]

Continuing the exploration of Kadarka. This one is from where I grew up. Half the price (£5) of yesterday’s, less extracted, more refreshing red fruit. Light but delivers. The winner so far.

26 Likes

Greyfriars Blanc de Blancs 2014; visited the vineyard (Hog’s Back) back in 2019 and bought a case; 5th one of 6. First one of these for a while. Subtle floral nose, slightly of freshly made toast, very summery and bright. Bubbles cross the tongue then fade leaving a nice bit of acidity. Light, and not particularly long, but this a delightful fizz that’s just right for a hot day with no work in sight for 2 more weeks!

17 Likes

Have you tried the Albury Estate wines, not far from Greyfriars? A bit more expensive but worth the extra (for me, anyway).

Yes, we visited on the same day, but I can’t remember what the wine was like as I only bought the one bottle. But whilst Albury was very impersonal, organised and structured with a shop and everything, I enjoyed Greyfriars’ informality, they just set out a trestle table under a marquee and we got to chat with the owners and winemakers.

6 Likes

For the main course:

Youngest Musar I’ve tasted, and one of the weirdest tasting notes I’ve come up with; opened this at lunchtime to give it some air, where it’s nose a little closed off, but quite leathery, touch of acetone; pretty tannic, lovely acidity. Lovely translucent deep ruby. Red berry fruits; still quite closed but feels very drinkable. +4hrs- opened out a lot… old books, cigars, quite brooding, serious, the acetone gives a kick at the back of the throat just from taking a good sniff. Not so much of the farmyard but enough to point to Musar. Acidity upfront now in the mouth, very lip smacking; cranberries and raspberries… and some warm lemon squash?!. Finishes with the acidity and some bitter tannin. Quite high toned and disjointed… reminds me of one of those family relationships where you like someone despite their being difficult and occasionally rude.

26 Likes

Greyfriars has a smart new tasting room and shop too!

1 Like

Starting simple again this weekend but with much more success.

The Society’s Australian Cabernet Sauvignon 2019

Going down a treat, simple but generous, what it lacks in depth it more than makes up for with its appealing fruit-forward nose/palate and acidity. Hard to put down and at £7.95 who can complain at that. Now if I could just find the ‘off button’ for the sun all would be perfect. :hot_face:

20 Likes

With thanks to @szaki1974 for starting the thread and suggesting the grape, yesterday, for tonight’s meal ( sockeye salmon, lentils and a couple of salads )…

a Bononia Estate Gamza 2020 ( apologies but I couldn’t get the link to work ). Presently listed at £8.50

Gamza being the Bulgarian name for kadarka. Served lightly chilled. An appealing pale colour. A floral nose with wild strawberry and raspberry fruit, a hint of rosehips and damp soil. Similar on tasting, fresh, supple and savoury red fruits with surprising depth of flavour and a delicious pinot-like undertow. Fresh acidity provides structure and soft tannins an easy, rounded, drinkability. Excellent VFM and spot-on with the food.

Fingers crossed TWS will, once again, list some Hungarian examples in the future as it’s a grape I’d like to get to know better.

22 Likes

A bit more prosaic here tonight

17 Likes

Oof. opening a Musar '16 seems very ambitious. But fair play if the idea is to see how the same vintage evolves over the next… 30 years…

1 Like

Infanticide I know! I’ll go back to leaving them til at least 15 years past vintage

1 Like

A recent WS purchase. Subtle and enticing.

18 Likes

There’s a lot to like about Talmard Chardonnay, not least the fact that they are such nice people when you visit them! We like this wine a lot at its price point.

2 Likes

Ah, Friday, end of the week. I’m enjoying being in Alsace, even though I’m still by myself and working at the moment. But on a lovely evening, I’ve spatchcocked a poussin, marinaded in garlic, thyme and lemon, and grilled it in the garden, with some aubergines. I opened a bottle of Bruno Sorg Muscat, Grand Cru Pfersigberg, 2017.

Mmm, yes, this is lovely. There’s all sorts of flowers on the nose - honeysuckle, jasmine, camomile - but in a quite restrained way, and mixed in with a ripe grapiness. On the palate, there’s ripe fruit but no real hint of sweetness - the fruit just fills the body, and counterpoints the mint and herbs that dominate the finish.

I’m meeting @JamesB in Eguisheim for the day tomorrow, and Bruno Sorg will be on the agenda. Really looking forward to it.

28 Likes

Finishing off this from last night…

I can take or leave oaked white wines normally and really have to be in the mood for them. Sometimes though it really catches my fancy - and this did this week. Maybe it’s the heat or the weather?

Last night, the oak was more pronounced, brusque and dominant at the expense of the subtle Chardonnay flavours. Still very pleasant but one to be in the mood for.

Tonight, it’s much less oaky and more mellow, melon, pear and ripe apple flavours with a hint of vanilla and butter. And it’s mellowed into something that suits sitting on the patio and watching the sun go down.

I’m really enjoying this!

24 Likes

I realise I haven’t posted for some time. Nice to be back. I have some thoughts and comments on several wine experiences over the last few months, upon which I shall report in due course. :face_with_monocle:

This evening, we enjoyed Prosecco with a chilli and garlic prawn salad. :yum:

23 Likes

Impulse broaching of a recent, somewhat impulsive, auction purchase: Zind-Humbrecht Clos St Urbain Rangen de Thann Pinot Gris 2000.

Extraordinary wine. Cost £140 for three bottles so not cheap but what an experience. Deep amber colour. Botrytised, but not overly sweet - according to a cellartracker note, the domaine says 43g/l residual sugar - the nose has marzipan, honey, flowers and a smoky quality. The palate is rich, mouth coating and off dry but not sickly - flavours of honey, toffee, something herbal (chamomile?) and bitter. There’s acid but it’s not fresh like a German riesling - it’s the limited sweetness that stops it being cloying. No idea what to eat with it - it’s not a dessert wine and went surprisingly well with olives and feta at the start of the evening. A rare experience.

31 Likes

Sounds amazing…!! :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Sounds amazing, and great notes. And a bargain - the 2020 is retailing at €100 in La Sommelière in Colmar, which is generally within 5-10% of cellar door price.

9 Likes

We enjoyed a couple of glasses of this earlier on in the evening. Perfect for the weather. Very pale colour. We were so eager to start the evening the bouquet passed us by. Quite a rich, mouth filler for a rose. Peaches and cream with a thread of citrus acidity to stop it being flabby. Not quite dry and made a perfect heatwave aperitif.

16 Likes